• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2007 edited
    I didn't see a thread for him so here goes...

I've just finished listening to his score for La Terre Vue Du Ciel and it's quite lovely indeed. The film is based on photographs by Yves Arthus-Bertrand for his Earth from above exhibition.
    The score is contemplative for most parts- some ethnic vocals and duduk... but primarily strings and piano. It's a bit like Le Odyssee de L'Espece by Yvan Cassar, if you want a point of reference.
    The cd packaging is lavish! It comes with a thick booklet of color photos that the film is based on, with the cd in a slip-case.

Has anyone listened to other works of Amar?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2007
    I liked his score to Amen. That was a nice one with great themes.

BTW BhelPuri, are you from India?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Amar's music is simply gorgeous. Good thing you opened the thread, will contribute more soon.

Cheers
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPat
    Check out Bab'Azîz: very poetic ... shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2007
    Thanks for the heads up on Amen and Bab Aziz. I'll have to see if it's available for cheap.

Demetris: I had guessed that you'd know more about him. Looking forward to your comments.

DemonStar: yes, I am and no points for guessing what my favorite chaat is wink Currently a student in the US.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2007
    BhelPuri wroteDemonStar: yes, I am and no points for guessing what my favorite chaat is wink Currently a student in the US.

That's one of my favourites too lick biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorGhostek
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2008
    One of my favourite composers. "La terre vue du ciel", especially track "Civilisation", for me is one of those pieces i can hear over and over again. Lately i'm listening "Le premier cri". Not very original score, but beautiful. smile
    Stroming New Caprica
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2008
    Welcome to the forum Ghostek!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2008 edited
    I haven't heard all of his scores, but till now I'm very much impressed;

Indigènes 9/10
    Va, vis et deviens 10/10
    L'Enfant endormi 9/10
    Amen. 9/10

L'Enfant isn't original either. In the first place a duduk score, with some strings, some vocals. Real quality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2008
    Ghostek wrote "Le premier cri". Not very original score, but beautiful. smile

Joep wrote
    L'Enfant isn't original either. In the first place a duduk score, with some strings, some vocals. Real quality.

Not original works? Do you mean that he re-used his own work or shocked ?
  1. Not that he reused anything, but it's like Jerry Goldsmith doing an efficient action score - certain tricks come very easy.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorGhostek
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2008 edited
    Even some melodies sounds like others he wrote before. But doesn't matter... LPC is still cool smile
    Stroming New Caprica
    • CommentAuthorNimzo
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2008
    Armand Amar signed the music of the Gilles Legrand's movie The Maiden and the Wolves,
    released in France on February 13, 2008.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ghostek wrote
    Even some melodies sounds like others he wrote before. But doesn't matter... LPC is still cool smile

Yeah but that goes well with me, i have no problem with it although I didn't particularly appreciate the "look at me, i can be Yann Tiersen too"-isms of "Moving Music".
  2. Yann Tiersen sounds a bit too much like Michael Nyman to me. I hate the way he uses brass in things like GOODBYE LENIN. (Not too keen of Nyman's brass writing either, it should come as no surprise!)

I've been meaning to get this MAIDEN AND THE WOLVES.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Bab'Aziz has changed my life kind of. In a mere 7 days I've been listening to it for about 31 times. I already knew after one listening it just had to end up in my current top 10.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Joep wrote
    Bab'Aziz has changed my life kind of. In a mere 7 days I've been listening to it for about 31 times. I already knew after one listening it just had to end up in my current top 10.

I'm still waiting for my Amar order from France. But this means I need to get Babz too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Joep wrote

That's a wonderful score indeed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2008
    La Jeune Fille Et Les Loups (B.O.F)

cd cover:
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 … SS500_.jpg

Détails sur le produit

* CD audio (12 février 2008)
    * Nombre de disques: 1
    * Label: Naive
    * ASIN : B00120S8GU
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2008
    LA JEUNE FILLE ET LES LOUPS (THE MAIDEN AND THE WOLVES)

sound clips

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=9044
  3. Anyone heard this one?
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2008
    Well, I can see in my magic bowl I'm going to rate this score somewhere in between 4.5 and 5.0 wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Joep, you have it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    OMG! I am in love with those samples. I need to get this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2008
    Joep wrote

Whoah! I kind of feel similar. I lost track of how many times I've listened to it in the last couple of weeks. The cues of Poem of the Atoms are incredibly moving for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2008
    Bab'Aziz is probably his best score to date.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2008 edited
    The latest release Sagan is out-
    CD cover: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 … SS500_.jpg

Listening to it now for free thanks to my schools' music service. Sounds lovely so far. Better than Jeune Fille Et Les Loups! Amar is having a great year. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2008
    Joep's review of Bab'Azîz
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/bab-aziz/
    Kazoo
  4. Nice review, Joep. But from what I've heard of this, it's a score that I just can't like.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2008
    Nice review Joep, although a little more discussion of the music would have been welcome. But considering that there are no Amar reviews anywhere else, this is quite good.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    Nice review, Joep. But from what I've heard of this, it's a score that I just can't like.

I tend to think that folks who dig a bit of world music will appreciate it more (and get hooked by its haunting quality). If not, then it's hard to get into.

The 2nd cd of folk music is too much for me as well. But the 1st cd of score would make it in my top 20 list.

I'm just coming out of listening to nothing but Armand Amar for the last 2 months. After a while, his scores tend to blur a bit (a bunch of his scores seem to be cut from the same cloth).

BTW there's a cool Armand Amar compilation coming out next month-
    BOF Armand Amar (2CD compilation from 15 films [40 tracks]) beer

That aside folks in US who want to catch the movie on the big screen should check out http://typecastfilms.com/theatrical/babaziz/
    I hope I'll make it for the show on Sep 12th