• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2012 edited
    http://bmoviebest.wordpress.com/2012/07 … ture-ship/

I'm really open for discussion on what you think should be included in this list. Remember a 'B' movie was usually the second feature film in the 40's.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Goodness! 'B' movies.

Are those different from the first film in a two-film presentation?

The one I usually remember is The Day of the Animals before The Car. A great duo!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2012
    Ha! I remember The Incredible Melting Man followed by The Giant Spider Invasion, both were appallingly bad.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I remember a friend saying he remembers seeing Easy Rider. And the 'B'movie? Dirty Harry!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I remember a friend saying he remembers seeing Easy Rider. And the 'B'movie? Dirty Harry!!

I don't think 'B' movies we're talking about is the same thing as what Tom is talking about. Here in the UK those were Double Bills, I remember seeing The Exorcist followed by The Omen, Diamonds Are Forever and Gold, Enter The Dragon and Dirty Harry ( this was the first X films I saw, I was 15 years old ) and even Taxi Driver followed by Cheech & Chongs Up In Smoke dizzy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. I can't contribute then. Too young!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Me too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2012 edited
    We still have B movies, though. Stephen Sommers is an example of a director who nurtures that particular sentiment. Tarantino too, in a way. Although in a more self-conscious way.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Reading about the history of the B movie, it seems to be a predpminantly US-oriented phenomenon - genres such as westerns and cheap sci-fi.

But would a film such as Total Recall qualify? A B-movie plot and an A-list budget?

Maybe The Car would qualify as a B movie?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I remember a friend saying he remembers seeing Easy Rider. And the 'B'movie? Dirty Harry!!

Both "Easy Rider" and "Dirty Harry" we're 'A' pictures. The fact that they were offered as a double feature is something unique to Europe.

The 'B' movies I'm referring to are the second feature when most theaters in the US offered two movies. However, it didn't include just science fiction and westerns but all genres of films including comedy, drama, film noir/mystery. In fact there weren't a lot of low budget science fiction until the 50's and then these films became the second feature at a drive-in movie. Television had a lot to do with the demise of the 'B' picture. As TV became more popular Hollywood countered with things like Cinemascope, something that TV couldn't offer. And the higher budget films became more popular. We would begin to see things like "The Robe" (first cinemascope film).

What I'm trying to accomplish is which of these 'B' pictures had any merit at all and are at least worth a watch. Each studio had a division that would produce these lower budget films. An example would be Pine-Thomas which was owned by Paramount.
    Tom smile
  5. I may be wrong but I don't think that there are many here who will be able to help.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I may be wrong but I don't think that there are many here who will be able to help.

Do you have any familiarity with the 50's Hammer noir films. They were directed by Terence Fisher who later did the horror movies and is probably best known by the general public for "Elephant Man," definitely not a 'B' movie.
    Tom smile
  6. I have seen them, yes, but have never thought of them as being a "B" movie. They are just another film to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2012
    The 'B' movie was usually the second film of a double feature thus the alphabet designation.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    The 'B' movie was usually the second film of a double feature thus the alphabet designation.
    Tom

Originally, yes, but the definition has since been expanded to include a given set of production values and overall 'aesthetic'. Even if the film is a big Hollywood blockbuster (an 'A movie').
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm not sure about that statement Thor. There seems to be a lot of confusion at least in my mind. For example was "Crash" a 'B' movie when it first came out because the multiplex theaters didn't show it and it was only when the awards started pouring in it became an 'A' film? In the very beginning it was only the art houses that showed it at least in San Diego.
    Tom confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    CRASH was never a B movie. It's an independent movie (an 'arthouse' movie, if you will) that gained wider recognition. These days, B movies usually imply some sort of genre fare that are made to evoke a given set of production values -- like PIRANHA 3D. Self-aware B movies, if you will.

The original meaning of the word (which you correctly describe above) no longer has any meaning, since these package deals are no longer in operation.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2012
    Thor wrote

The original meaning of the word (which you correctly describe above) no longer has any meaning, since these package deals are no longer in operation.

I can agree with the above statement. What I'm working on has to do with the 40's when the exception was a single feature. By the way I watched a pretty funny spoof called "King of the Zombies"(1941) with Mantan Moreland (Charlie Chan character). This film had the distinct honor of being nominated for Best Score something that never happened again.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2012 edited
    When I think B-movie, I think of the horrible stuff that's being produced (?) by SyFy... has anyone ever seen one? That's so cheap and awful, it makes me wonder why they still take all the effort to make the movie anyway.

We call them Z-movies and watch them as comedies. Or a directing work shop 'how not to...', or we play the game 'spot the cliché'. You have to be in the right mood to sit through them though... brrrr
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2012
    Bregje wrote
    When I think B-movie, I think of the horrible stuff that's being produced (?) by SyFy... has anyone ever seen one? That's so cheap and awful, it makes me wonder why they still take all the effort to make the movie anyway.

The problem with the term "B-Movie" is that it originally just meant "created with a low budget".
    And while often that is the equivalent of a cheap genre/exploitation movie, there are several noted B-movies that have passed over in the realm of cult (most of Roger Corman's work, most notably his excellent Edgar Allan Poe adaptations) or even classics! (Probably the most celebrated B-movie ever may be Hitchcock's Pyscho!).

So B-movies, while cheap, may in many ways still be outstanding!

We call them Z-movies and watch them as comedies.

biggrin
    I'm inclined to agree.
    While technically certainly B-movies, ANY standard on those quick cheapies is abysmal.
    I'm honestly not sure what the idea behind a return to that kind of quickie is.
    Used to be that in the fifties and sixties those would show in the US in drive-ins as an excuse to make out (who would actually want to watch trash like that?), but now?

The only thing I can think of is exactly like you say: watch them ina comedic state of mind.
    I would imagine it would be a riot after a bottle of port!
    Hmmm...never tried that... Something to consider....
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2012
    http://bmoviebest.wordpress.com/2012/08 … -man-1946/

Here is an example of my latest chapter in the saga of 'B' movies. My concentration is far more on the true 'B' movie of the 30's and 40's. When you went to the movies it was a three hour experience consisting of an 'A' feature, 'B' feature, newsreel, and cartoon. Many of the theaters were owned by the studios who did so until our government broke this up in 1948. The three main 'B' studios were PRC, Monogram, and Republic.
    Tom