• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2012 edited
    I love Dinosaurs! love

this thread is for paleoart, films, views and opinions and yes, even music biggrin

Mark Hallett art
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2012
    I approve of this thread. :t-rex:
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I thought you would cool

I love this one too, very dynamic angle makes it very atmopheric and was painted for the cover of National Geographic back in the 90's, I still have that issue.

GIGANOTOSAURUS

Martijn, do have any particular favourite paleoartists?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, CERTAINLY!
    But it's not going to be much of a surprise, I guess.
    For all the paintbrushed, spraypainted, phtoshop magic that is coming out now (most of which either references Jurassic Park or -more often- Walking With Dinosaurs - not the worst references, mind you!), it's still famed 19th century artist Charles R. Knight who stirs my imagination the most.

It's probably because his drawings and paintings in style and material so closely resemble natural history drawings from earlier centuries, AND of course because he's EVERYWHERE! Reference books, school books, museums, you name it!

But I really like the way he works.
    He keeps that lost world far off and mysterious, and not too close or modern looking.
    I like that.

Great stuff
    What I think is his best-known work
    Water savagery
    Underwater savagery

Great stuff!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    As a child of the 60's it was Knight's stuff that blew me away and ignited my imagination even before I'd seen a Ray Harryhausen film. I'm sure we've talked about Knight before, maybe at the old ScoreReviews board? Anyway, your taste is beyond question. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    As a child of the 60's it was Knight's stuff that blew me away and ignited my imagination even before I'd seen a Ray Harryhausen film. I'm sure we've talked about Knight before, maybe at the old ScoreReviews board?

I'm pretty sure we did, too...but I can't find any trace here.
    So yeah, must have been on old SR? (Wow! Talk about dinosaurs...now THERE's a name from the old Paleozoic! smile )

Me, it was Harryhausen before I could even talk, I think.
    Quite likley the reason the old stop motion monster films still beguile me to this day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    When I was a little kid one of the only things my parents bought for me was dinosaur books and model dinosaurs. Some of these drawings bring back ancient memories. I was completely obsessed with dinosaurs.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2012
    I'm not into dinosaurs at all, but got to know some paintings by Bob Eggleton, who is amazing and also a dino-freak
    wink

In the book Greetings from Earth there are two dino paintings I absolutely adore.

(I'm sorry for the horrible quality of the photos online. Having the book here in front of me, I can see every brush stroke and drop of paint, really cool...)

Tyrant (1997, acrylics on canvas)
    Bob: "I wanted a very dark musty feel to this piece. Many dinosaur artists tend to show their animals much too 'clean' for my taste. I wanted this T-Rex to look like he was really a serious animal. He's got a lot of saliva (an idea I got from Komodo Dragons) and flies are buzzing about his bloodstained jaws. The shafts of light through the trees were something I had wanted to experiment with for a while. They are done very simply: I apply a layer of greenish/yellow paint and use rubbing alcohol to strip away areas back to the white canvas."

Styracosaurus (1999, acrylics on canvas)
    Bob: "This is a pretty on-the-mark recreation of a prehistoric Ceratopsian dinosaur, actually my favourite of many, the Styracosaurus. I wanted the feel of a dank, moist, humid and very ancient forest. The diagonal shafts of light criss-crossing the tree in the other direction create a sense of unease. And with many predatory carnivores wandering about, there indeed would be sense of unease! Many people are surprised this is painted with acrylics as opposed to oils because of the depth. I use acrylics in a very fast and thinned method, glazing and glazing until the piece basically says 'I'm finished'. "

I agree with him saying that in many dino paintings the dino's look too clean, like plastic toys. Also, I love how you can almost feel and smell the moist in these paintings!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    And here's a T-Rex sketch he did last friday. "A quick T Rex ala Ray Harryhausen study...complete with ruins"

T-Rex study

T-Rex study (closer)

You know who Ray Harryhausen is? I don't.
  1. As I visited the forum and I saw this topic, JNH's Dinosaur is playing after a really long time...

Incredible !!! shocked

Even though dino's are the stuff of legend my knowlegde only goes as far as to what the Spielberg films have told me, I'm sorry to say.

Bregje wrote

The stop-motion legend from the golden age of Hollywood.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2012 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    As I visited the forum and I saw this topic, JNH's Dinosaur is playing after a really long time...

Incredible !!! shocked

Even though dino's are the stuff of legend my knowlegde only goes as far as to what the Spielberg films have told me, I'm sorry to say.

Bregje wrote

The stop-motion legend from the golden age of Hollywood.

^
    pagan god damned philistines have removed Bernard Herrmann's music!!! angry

HERE is a great 30 minute compilation of Harryhausen's fantasy work, go to the 25 minute mark if you want to see the skeleton fight complete with Bernard Herrmann's music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Here you go Bregje, some Harryhausen magic with Dinosaurs...

CERATOSAURUS v TRICERATOPS

You should get a good idea from this clip where Eggleton is coming from in his T-Rex sketch with this clip.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    One of my very favourite paleoartist is Douglas Henderson whose work is incredibly evocative, moody and atmospheric with great attention to flora.

Predators

Maiaisaura

Patagosaurus

Triceratops

p.s. I wish I could have found a better source for the pictures as I couldn't find my favourites at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nice! Especially the Triceratops!
    Fits in nicely too with Bregje's suggestion of the "non-clean" look.
    I like!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And where would we be as kids ( well, adults too dizzy ) without the good old...

DINOSAUR SIZE COMPARISON CHART

Not Sure About This One?

Sauropods

...and another one ( I like the non-vertical neck of the Brachiosaur here )

The problem with some of these charts is that some creatures can be wildly overestimated, conversely they can be also undersized.

SPINOSAURUS ( the Jurassic Park III baddie ) seems to have a wide range of sizes mostly due to a very feeble fossil record.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2012
    Timmer wrote

You should get a good idea from this clip where Eggleton is coming from in his T-Rex sketch with this clip.

Ah, cool! smile

Hey, what about this one? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I thought for a second she was kissing him!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    Timmer wrote

Ah, cool! smile

Hey, what about this one? tongue

Very nice! A more accurately sized T-Rex head than the oversized Jurassic Park stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2012
    Man, I LOVE this topic!!! Great thread! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2012 edited
    Atham wrote
    Man, I LOVE this topic!!! Great thread! cool

cool dino <-( man but is this the most sorry ass dinosaur emoticon EVER! slant )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    yeah I think Bregt did that just to annoy us two.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Did he now?

he needs dealing with!
  2. Right now I wish dinosaurs would come back and exterminate our whole race.

See the 'what's annoying you currently' topic.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Did he now?

he needs dealing with!

I love the youtube poster below who appropriately asks:

"WTF! Is this real?",

biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2013 edited
    A very nice painting here...very evocative, I can hear the sounds and feel the humidity in this painting.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5421281_f496.jpg

Makes a change from the usual T-Rex attacking type pics.
  3. I once found these on amazon. Timmer, what say you? One for the front yard? :D

http://www.drinkstuff.com/products/product.asp?ID=4256

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2013 edited
    Are these....

THE BEST DINOSAURS EVER

....or what?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    I once found these on amazon. Timmer, what say you? One for the front yard? :D

http://www.drinkstuff.com/products/product.asp?ID=4256

Volker

Ooops, Sorry Volker, I missed this.

The answer is a big NO!!! Number 1 my back yard ain't big enough and 2 that thing is laughable, I like my T-Rex with more terrifying accuracy*.

*see my post before this one
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    Are these....

THE BEST DINOSAURS EVER

....or what?

He, he....hardly. But they're cute.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2013
    flash WARNING flash

The following video is NOT for the faint of heart...

GIANT SLOTH v CERATOSAURUS