• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2012
    NP : ACROSS THE SEA OF TIME - John Barry

Why have I not played this more often? It's bloody wonderful!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ZULU - John Barry

A classic score. Possibly one of the most underscored epics ever.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Jerry Goldsmith - Small Soldiers

Saw the movie as a kid, haven't listened to it in years. What was Thor talking about with those wailing guitars a la Trevor Rabin?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith - Small Soldiers

Saw the movie as a kid, haven't listened to it in years. What was Thor talking about with those wailing guitars a la Trevor Rabin?

Lord only knows.
  2. Right, "God only knows" wouldn't work, Thor is one of them!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2012
    I Magi Randagi - Ennio Morricone

Not a great Morricone score in the grand scheme of things (but it's still good!) - and then the penultimate track, "Le Luci Si Spengono" comes on... and it's one of those Morricone pieces. Breathtaking.
  3. ALIENS - JAMES HORNER

The blu-ray of the film has an interesting option. Two isolated scores are found on the disc, the one that James Horner wanted to appear in the film (which is the one that is on the Deluxe Edition from Varese) and the one that got cut up and butchered to match the editing and images, the final film version. I'm listening to the latter right now. I've ripped the audio track and am now putting it all into separate tracks. It's pretty interesting to hear various chunks of cues cut and pasted together, without hearing the dialogue and sound effects on top, like I've heard so many times while watching the film. The music sounds as crystal clear as the official soundtrack release. The isolated score also features the drum march not composed by Horner, which works much better in the film but is less exciting than Horner's unused 'Combat Drop'.

It's pretty cool from a fan's perspective of both the film and score. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Southall wrote
    I Magi Randagi - Ennio Morricone

Not a great Morricone score in the grand scheme of things (but it's still good!) - and then the penultimate track, "Le Luci Si Spengono" comes on... and it's one of those Morricone pieces. Breathtaking.

I must hear this piece. Have been enjoying spaghetti western classics all morning.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. Needless to say the Aliens film version doesn't make for the best listening experience, but it remains very interesting nonetheless to hear Horner's masterpiece all mangled up like that. Makes me better understand the frustrations he had after the film was released.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    What you've done there with Aliens is similar to what I did with Alien and the isolated Goldsmith score(s).
    I didn't rip it though. But putting Jerry's original ideas to the scenes makes it all very interesting indeed!

NP: The Shadow - JG

Having the full score remastered is feast and a delight!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    I haven't heard Dark Butterflies but I'm guessing its fairly different...Dragonslayer is a typical rousing romantic adventure symphony.

Much inferior to Dark Butterflies i am afraid.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BODY HEAT - John Barry

Another classic. Very Elfmanesque with wailing Trevor Rabin like guitars over the top.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Demetris wrote
    Scribe wrote
    I haven't heard Dark Butterflies but I'm guessing its fairly different...Dragonslayer is a typical rousing romantic adventure symphony.

So Dark Butterflies is one of your favorite all time scores? Cause Dragonslayer was on your Best of 2011 list and that's why I got it... tongue
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  6. Listening to selections from Bernard Herrmann - Vertigo, Marnie, Fahrenheit 451, etc. He might be the only composer from the Golden Age that I would say I'm a fan of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Scribe wrote

So Dark Butterflies is one of your favorite all time scores? Cause Dragonslayer was on your Best of 2011 list and that's why I got it... tongue

It's still a very good score. But yeah, Dark Butterflies would be one of the best scores i've heard and saw in film, yeah.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: The Phantom (Intrada extended version) - David Newman

Oh my! This is really good!
    Absolutely balls to the walls, full-blooded action adventure music we're not hearing enough of by a long shot! With a properly heroic theme and some strong action music that is much reminiscent of Goldsmith, this is an excellent CD!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. The Expendables 2 Tyler

Great fun, just like the film!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SIR GAWAIN AND THE GREEN KNIGHT - Ron Goodwin

A very enjoyable and rousing score but too much at 2 CD's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You think?
    I really, really like this score! The kind of no-nonsense full-on score Goodwin so excels at, with a bit of a faux-medieval twist. The only reason it could do with a bit of condensing is that it's simply too long to listen to in one go, but not because it weers out its welcome!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    You think?
    I really, really like this score! The kind of no-nonsense full-on score Goodwin so excels at, with a bit of a faux-medieval twist. The only reason it could do with a bit of condensing is that it's simply too long to listen to in one go, but not because it weers out its welcome!

You've put it more succinctly than I have, yes, I totally agree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Hello guys! Long time no talking!

It's a nice, sunny and hot afternoon here in beautiful Sparti so I needed something to cool me down a bit, hence

NP: Angels and Demons ~ Hans Zimmer.

It suits my mood.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  8. Atham wrote
    What you've done there with Aliens is similar to what I did with Alien and the isolated Goldsmith score(s).
    I didn't rip it though. But putting Jerry's original ideas to the scenes makes it all very interesting indeed!

NP: The Shadow - JG

Having the full score remastered is feast and a delight!

I may do the same for Alien. It's a fun little project.

And The Shadow? Yeah, excellent release by Intrada!
  9. The Karate Kid - James Horner

I forgot how good this was. "Backstreet Beating" is much darker than how I remembered it. "Han's Kung Fu" is kickass. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2012 edited
    NP The Bourne Legacy (JNH)

You were right Demetris, it is even worse than Total Recall. Geez....
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2012
    Marselus wrote

Put on one of John Powell's 3 excellent scores to banish this crap.
  10. Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote

Put on a random Elmer Bernstein scores to banish all this new era crap.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2012
    justin boggan wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote

Put on a random Elmer Bernstein scores to banish all this new era crap.

I could sort of agree with you Justin ( it doesn't have to be Bernstein ) but I do think Powell's scores are superb.
  11. The Powell scores are modern action masterpieces. One of the best-scored trilogies in cinematic history. Yes, not far from the original Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and things like that. Just different in its approach.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2012 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The Powell scores are modern action masterpieces. One of the best-scored trilogies in cinematic history. Yes, not far from the original Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and things like that. Just different in its approach.

I wouldn't go that far but yes, they are bloody great scores.

p.s. I wish you guys could see me right now, Gomez is sat on my lap as I type, he never used to be a lap cat but now that he's an old chap ( 15 yrs ) he seems to enjoy human company more and more even though he couldn't give a shit what any of you write here....or me for that matter! wink
  12. Well, what's on my side is that there weren't THAT many film trilogies made.