• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Today in the mail: The compilation "Beautiful Hollywood" by Erich Kunzel and his combo. I purchased it for a butget prise. It features quite a number of themes from scores I don't have in my collection, which makes it a nice addition.

Currently I try to decide which recording of Morricones "On Earth as it is in Heaven" I like better: The one featured on this album or the one made by Silva Screen in Prague around the same time (1997) on "Cinema Choral Classics". Both are great.

Cheers!
    Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Listening to the new expanded Untouchables (1987) score. As I listen I can hear references to many of his prior films.
    Tom

This expanded version is so much more enjoyable than the original release.

I agree. The new version is phenomenal. The original was peculiarly-sequenced, to say the least.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2013
    Eric wrote
    The Sweeney - Lorne Balfe

First listen ... wink

It's too long, but some of the Inception stuff is fantastic. "Trafalgar Square" is getting tons of plays from me.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. Captain Future wrote
    Today in the mail: The compilation "Beautiful Hollywood" by Erich Kunzel and his combo. I purchased it for a budget prise. It features quite a number of themes from scores I don't have in my collection, which makes it a nice addition.

Currently I try to decide which recording of Morricones "On Earth as it is in Heaven" I like better: The one featured on this album or the one made by Silva Screen in Prague around the same time (1997) on "Cinema Choral Classics". Both are great.

Cheers!
    Volker

Right: The Prague recording is better than the Cincinnati one:
    1. The mix is closer to the original recording.
    2. In the Cincinnati recording has the choir becomes too quiet towards the end.
    3. The Prague recording has more drive, the Cincinnati recording is too tame.

I'm sure everybody was awaiting this analysis eagerly. wink

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - defiance

Wow, i forgot how good this is; must play it more often.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - defiance

Wow, i forgot how good this is; must play it more often.

The film is good too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Quite simplifying what really happened there (The Bielski brothers were very controversial, actually), but it's quite good, especially in the technical sense of things.

I do love the JNH score, I have both the original score and I downloaded the complete For Your Consideration promo when it was announced on teh website, yes, it's a legal download.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    La Migliore Offerta - Ennio Morricone

Morricone's latest for Tornatore is classy throughout, but more subdued than most of his recent scores. The highlight from my first listen has been the vocal work, with some wonderful harmonies for the female vocalists (one of whom is Edda dell'Orso, almost 80 now and working with Morricone for the first time in ages).
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Captain America - Alan Silvestri

I'm not the biggest fan of Silvestri's modern-day style and this album doesn't quite justify its length but right now, I'm in the mood for slightly mindness orchestral bombast and this fits the bill.
  4. I've never been a huge fan of Silvestri, but I think his output has significantly lost quality since (and actually including) Beowulf.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2013
    Yeah, he's been languishing in autopilot for a while now. I'd say Polar Express was his last great score (although A Christmas Carol has some great cues in it).
  5. NP: Mama - Fernando Velázquez

I made the mistake of watching the trailer for this 2013 film and (in particular) the 3-minute short film, Mamá, directed by Andrés Muschietti and upon which this new film is based. Now I'm a bit heightened to all the shocks and suspense of Velázquez's score.

I am about a third of the way through and, if the score on CD is in chronological order, things are at their lightest in terms of the atmosphere of the music (as it seems that things begin to deteriorate for everyone as the film progresses).

So far, it's another strong score from Velázquez.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I've never been a huge fan of Silvestri, but I think his output has significantly lost quality since (and actually including) Beowulf.

I disagree with you on Beowulf I think it's a great score, I enjoy it a lot and I thought it fit the film very well. However, I don't follow his output that closely so missing out a few scores can make some scores sound fresher than they maybe are.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Rush Hour - Lalo Schifrin

Couldn't count the years since I last heard this. It's fantastic! And only sounds better when compared to the semi-synthetic wall of sound scores for similar films in the years since.
    The old school composers, how we miss them. Schifrin's many and varied action cues are all brilliant and you notice a clear delineation of every busy line. Brilliant stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LIFE OF PI (Mychael Danna)

Bliss!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    David OC wrote
    Rush Hour - Lalo Schifrin

Couldn't count the years since I last heard this. It's fantastic! And only sounds better when compared to the semi-synthetic wall of sound scores for similar films in the years since.
    The old school composers, how we miss them. Schifrin's many and varied action cues are all brilliant and you notice a clear delineation of every busy line. Brilliant stuff.

Agreed. It's so retro and contemporary all at the same time. Not all of it is very accessible, especially not the action material, but it's a fascinating score that harkens back to Schifrin's 70's efforts.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Frontiers (VS 1997). The Scottish National Orchestra & Jerry Goldsmith conducting his own music.

This compilation was long on my whish-list but it just wouldn't lower the prize-tag (19€). Now I have bought it anyway and with no regrets. The performance of the SNO is phenomenal. Jerry Goldsmith once again prooves that he was as gifted a conductor as he was a composer. A great album!

Edit / Also:

Real Steel by Danny Elfman
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ One of the greatest re-recordings of all time!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Life of Pi - Mychael Danna

I still find this album way too long for its content but I keep coming back to that gorgeous "God Storm" cue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I Promessi Sposi - Ennio Morricone

Peter recommended this a couple of years ago on this forum and I'm very glad he did. A Morricone masterpiece!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Mama - Fernando Velázquez

I made the mistake of watching the trailer for this 2013 film and (in particular) the 3-minute short film, Mamá, directed by Andrés Muschietti and upon which this new film is based. Now I'm a bit heightened to all the shocks and suspense of Velázquez's score.

I am about a third of the way through and, if the score on CD is in chronological order, things are at their lightest in terms of the atmosphere of the music (as it seems that things begin to deteriorate for everyone as the film progresses).

So far, it's another strong score from Velázquez.

Want ! Maybe "hint hint" we can get it as a promo? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I've never been a huge fan of Silvestri, but I think his output has significantly lost quality since (and actually including) Beowulf.

Agree, but I would exclude Beowulf. I loved it.
  7. I guess I can't shake off the awful main title cue. I was like... "REALLY"??
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    I Promessi Sposi - Ennio Morricone

Peter recommended this a couple of years ago on this forum and I'm very glad he did. A Morricone masterpiece!

I haven't clicked this topic for ages (with 1300 unread posts), so nice timing I chose to click on it, so I could read that post! biggrin I'm thrilled that you consider it a masterpiece. But then again, I'd be surprised if you didn't, considering how good it is. I'm expecting a Movie Wave review in a near future of course. wink

It was a mini-series and there's supposed to be tons of unreleased music, to fill up about 4 CDs. It's very doubtful this will ever happen, but it's my holy grail release.

Peter punk
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Kinect Star Wars - Newmaster and Haab

Obviously, this is very well-written and performed music but I can just imagine these two composers carefully studying a large pile of John Williams scores to include as much of his orchestral trademarks as possible. Hell, at times this sounds more like Williams than Williams himself does these days.
  8. Josh B wrote

Obviously, this is very well-written and performed music but I can just imagine these two composers carefully studying a large pile of John Williams scores to include as much of his orchestral trademarks as possible. Hell, at times this sounds more like Williams than Williams himself does these days.

I suppose that this route is a good way to keep the Williams Star Wars universe alive cheaply?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Josh B wrote

I suppose that this route is a good way to keep the Williams Star Wars universe alive cheaply?

More or less. Of course, if they really wanted to go cheap, they wouldn't have hired the London Symphony Orchestra. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2013 edited
    NP - HITCHCOCK - Danny Elfman

First listen. I'm only 5 tracks in, but this is VERY Elfmanny.

Edit: Finished. It's nice to hear Elfman being Elfman, and there are some nice nods to the music Herrmann wrote for Psycho in there, but a lot of the tracks were very short and there wasn't much to it that really grabbed me after a first listen.
  9. "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow"- Edward Sheamur

I heard so much praise for this score over the jears, that I now bought it when i saw it offered for a budget prise. The first few cues impress me with fun and drive.

Cheers!
    Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ One of the very best scores in the past 13 years! Extraordinary!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!