• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2012
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Well, what's on my side is that there weren't THAT many film trilogies made.

In that case you could argue that STAR WARS isn't a trilogy and shouldn't have been on your list.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The Powell scores are modern action masterpieces. One of the best-scored trilogies in cinematic history. Yes, not far from the original Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and things like that. Just different in its approach.

I wouldn't go that far but yes, they are bloody great scores.

p.s. I wish you guys could see me right now, Gomez is sat on my lap as I type, he never used to be a lap cat but now that he's an old chap ( 15 yrs ) he seems to enjoy human company more and more even though he couldn't give a shit what any of you write here....or me for that matter! wink

Gomez agrees with me too! cat

he may not know it but really, he does! biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - John Barry

A masterpiece, BEST. BOND SCORE. EVER.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Well, what's on my side is that there weren't THAT many film trilogies made.

In that case you could argue that STAR WARS isn't a trilogy and shouldn't have been on your list.

Its two completely separate trilogies :P
    I'd say the Bourne scores are as good or better than the Star Wars prequel scores in terms of film effectiveness and consistency of leitmotif development, even if they're not necessarily as entertaining all the time...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2012 edited
    'argue' being the operative word. tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

I'm seriousdly pissed and I'm enjoying the fuck out of this, Brelliant brilliant score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Tokyo Summer, hot and humid, I'm tired of it.

So I'm listening to this...

NP: Home Alone - John Williams

christmas_drunk
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    The wintery score is followed by...

NP: Hook - John Williams
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The Powell scores are modern action masterpieces. One of the best-scored trilogies in cinematic history. Yes, not far from the original Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and things like that. Just different in its approach.

They don't have the lasting-in-time quality. Great scores indeed, especially the 2nd one, but let's not over-react.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

p.s. I wish you guys could see me right now, Gomez is sat on my lap as I type, he never used to be a lap cat but now that he's an old chap ( 15 yrs ) he seems to enjoy human company more and more even though he couldn't give a shit what any of you write here....or me for that matter! wink

15 years! That's pretty good. Born in 1997, then? Interesting year. It was my first year living away from home (actually from summer-96), I was relatively fresh at the university, I logged on to FSM for the first time (this was when their messageboard was created), my film music interest and acquisition rate was nearing an all-time peak. And you got a cat! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: John Williams Greatest Hits 1969-1999

I got JW mood today.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

15 years! That's pretty good. Born in 1997, then? Interesting year. It was my first year living away from home (actually from summer-96), I was relatively fresh at the university, I logged on to FSM for the first time (this was when their messageboard was created), my film music interest and acquisition rate was nearing an all-time peak. And you got a cat! smile

cat He was so small he could sleep in my hand.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    I'm still keeping John Williams day. Just finished Saving Private Ryan and E.T. (1982 album).

All the windows were open and I played JW loud. I wonder what my neighbors thought... biggrin

Maybe time for switching to the headphones...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Miya wrote
    I'm still keeping John Williams day. Just finished Saving Private Ryan and E.T. (1982 album).

All the windows were open and I played JW loud. I wonder what my neighbors thought... biggrin

Blast it LOUD Miya, neighbors need some culture in their lives. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

I'm seriousdly pissed and I'm enjoying the fuck out of this, Brelliant brilliant score!

I can just about remember hearing Journey To Blofeld's Hideaway, next thing I know I'm waking up at about 7'ish fully clothed on the couch and sweating like a mo-fo ( it's VERY hot here ) dizzy

NP : YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE - John Barry

Another sublime Bond score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Miya wrote

You mean to tell me Nicki Minaj isn't a culturesque phenomenon too?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Only culture she knows is when she plonks her big ass butt on the can.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Beowulf ~ Alan Silvestri

Really loud so the whole Sparti could here! Oh yes! Heroic, grand and so Silversti that I shiver!
    Wasn't you Tim who called me Sweet Mama Beowulfa over this once? wink kiss
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Miya wrote

You mean to tell me Nicki Minaj isn't a culturesque phenomenon too?

Actually a woman living under my room sometimes plays noisy music too loud (I have no idea what kind of music they are, because only what I can hear are the beats tongue )... I hope she heard my John Williams blasts wink
  1. Hans Zimmer - Inception

The best music from the man for a very long time (especially as heard in film). I should make a deeper analysis one day, I talked to the composer about it a few times and I have some interesting insight from him.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I do agree with you Pawel, especially with the part about it being excellent as it is heard in the film. I'm really looking forward to your deeper analysis! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Stavroula wrote
    NP: Beowulf ~ Alan Silvestri

Really loud so the whole Sparti could here! Oh yes! Heroic, grand and so Silversti that I shiver!
    Wasn't you Tim who called me Sweet Mama Beowulfa over this once? wink kiss

I don't remember? It sounds like it could have been me....I dunno!? dizzy biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    'Twas you my lad! kiss
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I accept! shame cool

if it was someone else dayz gonna be mighty annoyed
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR - Michel Legrand

Perfect!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Today i listened to

MYCHAEL DANNA - Girl, Interrupted.

Remembering to be more enjoyable in the past than now...it sounded a bit disorganized and odd for my tastes now.

MYCHAEL DANNA - hearts in atlantis

Much, much better. One of his best scores to date, imo, along with ARARAT.

JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - Dreamcatcher

Away from the crappy, uninspired electronics and synths of the modern JNH-RC era, everything he wrote sounded so much better than today; even for crappy films like this.

GABRIEL YARED - Cold Mountain

This man's the impersonation of elegance in film music. Such a shame he doesn't write anymore.

KNUT AVENSTROUP HAUGEN - Age of Conan the hyborian adventures.

One of the best game scores of all times, imo. Epic, grand, organic, beautiful at places. Vocal work is also outstanding throughout.

ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - Rust and Bones

Has some enjoyable moments; the opening main theme for instance performed by the brass quintet, the piano passages. In general it's too Santaolall-ish, not something i'd expect to hear from Desplat.

ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - Cloclo

Lush and piano driven, this orchestral little gem is simply beautiful; its 2-3 themes are irresistible.
  2. Demetris wrote
    GABRIEL YARED - Cold Mountain

This man's the impersonation of elegance in film music. Such a shame he doesn't write anymore.

Yared still scores, in fact he has two or three films coming up, and another just got a CD release (a new film).

The only reason there was a lull and he got replaced on three or four films, I can only speculate to: maybeh e had medical problems, persona, problems, etc. Maybe he just took a vacation.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Where are those scores?
  3. Demetris wrote
    Where are those scores?

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2012/07/14 … e-cuisine/

He also has a [recorded] score for the pushed back to 2014 film "Americana", and a new version of "Les Miserables".

Okay, so that's more like five new scores coming.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Mighty Macs - William Ross

Very pleasant, but it does rather sound like a new recording of the temp track.