• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Assassin's Creed II (Jesper Kyd)

The haunting vocals soar in this one, but I find the pieces were the vocals, the percussion and the emotional score are put together the most enjoyable ones (Flight over Venice is so beautiful). Wasn't that fond of the electronic enhancements in the escape cues though
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Hans Zimmer - Days of Thunder

Listening to this score while writing a blog entry about Tony Scott. I haven't listened to the score for ages. It's nothing amazing, but not as bad as Hans thought it was (I got that quote about Days of Thunder from Thomas's old website:

"People keep asking me why isn't the good music from Days of Thunder released... Because there is no good music!" Correct me, Thomas, because I am quoting from memory.

It's an average score to me, some great thematic material (Building the Car is blasting right now, I remember how shocked I was when I saw the movie last time and to compare this music to how... static the scene is, both in editing and filming). While it has a huge coolness factor, the score is emotionally very artificial. It's cool, it has a nice motion, but it's just empty. Maybe that's why Hans is so against it.

The movie is one of Scott's worst, but he beautifully explained why and he acknowledged it was bad, citing thinking that having Tom Cruise behind the wheel is pretty much enough to make a movie without a proper story, but well, it wasn't. Ironically some early reviews I saw called the movie... "Top Gun with a script."
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2012
    NP THE VALLEY OF GWANGI - Jerome Moross

Cowboys versus Dinosaurs scored in a Big Country style, BRILLIANT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP THE VALLEY OF GWANGI - Jerome Moross

Cowboys versus Dinosaurs scored in a Big Country style, BRILLIANT!

Such a shame that it seems the original Gwangi score is lost forever sad

Anyway, I fancy some more Harryhausen scored goodness...

NP : ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. - Mario Nascimbene

Brutally barbaric theme, terrifying soundscapes and heavenly music complete with choir combine to make a superb and absorbing listen love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Days of Thunder

Listening to this score while writing a blog entry about Tony Scott. I haven't listened to the score for ages. It's nothing amazing, but not as bad as Hans thought it was (I got that quote about Days of Thunder from Thomas's old website:

"People keep asking me why isn't the good music from Days of Thunder released... Because there is no good music!" Correct me, Thomas, because I am quoting from memory.

It's an average score to me, some great thematic material (Building the Car is blasting right now, I remember how shocked I was when I saw the movie last time and to compare this music to how... static the scene is, both in editing and filming). While it has a huge coolness factor, the score is emotionally very artificial. It's cool, it has a nice motion, but it's just empty. Maybe that's why Hans is so against it.

The movie is one of Scott's worst, but he beautifully explained why and he acknowledged it was bad, citing thinking that having Tom Cruise behind the wheel is pretty much enough to make a movie without a proper story, but well, it wasn't. Ironically some early reviews I saw called the movie... "Top Gun with a script."

Well it's a cool movie for me, I've always liked it a lot, also in part thanks to the music, which I find just 'rocking' and cool. Both are arguably bad when compared to better movies / scores but to me there's an element of fun present. I even have the movie on blu-ray. punk Hoping to one day have the Zimmer approved album as well. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Columbus Circle - Tyler

First track...obvious Bourne temp is obvious.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. RENT-A-COP - JERRY GOLDSMITH

It's okay, it has a lovely theme, the album opens and ends gloriously, and even though the middle section isn't always memorable, I can enjoy it without problem.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DAYS OF THUNDER is one of my Zimmer favourites -- love the power anthem/ballad, in particular, the intimate moments and the 'rocking' fun (as Gilles says) of the action material. It's not Top 10 Zimmer, but it's among the honourable mentions slightly below.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Yes the intimate moments, there's a scene after Cole Trickle (Tom Cruise) has the accident, and is in the hospital and asks what is going on with him. The music during that scene, my heart always skips a beat right there. It's those little touches that he did so well in those days, even though he would say now it was crap. But boy is he wrong...
  6. He said it somewhere around Crimson Tide though!

I think this score totally lacks emotions. It's simply empty. Sounds cool on the outside, but there's nothing inside.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. Empty to you and Hans, but not empty to me and Thor. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    Empty to you and Hans, but not empty to me and Thor. wink

Definitely not. At times uplifting, at other times introspective, at other times adrenaline-inducing. It runs the whole GAMUT of emotions!
    I am extremely serious.
  8. NP: Stalker and Solaris (Edward Artemyev)

Some of my favourite electronic film music.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Stalker and Solaris (Edward Artemyev)

Some of my favourite electronic film music.

I've not heard Stalker but Solaris is wonderful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I hope Hans still likes Beyond Rangoon. That thing is an absolute masterpiece. The little thing in the 2nd minute of the climactic track is one of the most beautiful 15 seconds of music I've ever heard. I think Thomas knows what I'm talking about cause I think he mentioned it in his review forever ago.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Scribe wrote
    I hope Hans still likes Beyond Rangoon. That thing is an absolute masterpiece. The little thing in the 2nd minute of the climactic track is one of the most beautiful 15 seconds of music I've ever heard. I think Thomas knows what I'm talking about cause I think he mentioned it in his review forever ago.

It's my alltime favourite Zimmer score, and I know that Pawel, plindboe and Timmer has similar sentiments. I hope he likes it himself too.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, BEYOND RANGOON is a lovely score, one of my Zimmer favourites. It doesn't bother me whether Zimmer likes it or not, for example, there's a number of John Barry favourites of mine that I know he detested. Me no bothered.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : RED SONJA - Ennio Morricone

Shitty movie....BRILLIANT score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Movie is vomit-inducing but score is marvellous! Same goes for the old Basil Poledouris Conan thingy wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Movie is vomit-inducing but score is marvellous! Same goes for the old Basil Poledouris Conan thingy wink

I always enjoyed the original CONAN THE BARBARIAN, fabulous photography, great sets, fine cast and one of the 5 best scores ever written. I can happily watch this over and over.
  9. Ned Kelly Klaus Badelt

Haven't listened to this in years, some beautiful music here and I like the songs too. I remember when this and 'K-19: The Widowmaker' came out in quick succession I got very excited about this composer but I don't think I've really liked anything he's done since.
  10. Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

I always enjoyed the original CONAN THE BARBARIAN, fabulous photography, great sets, fine cast and one of the 5 best scores ever written. I can happily watch this over and over.

Agreed, I think the original Conan is a fabulous film!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It is beautiful indeed are you familiar with his Invincible score with Hans Zimmer and THE PLEDGE? Also the chinese film PROMISE is stunning and K-19: the widowmaker. He hasn't done anything even close to those standards the last few years sadly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    John Chambers wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

Agreed, I think the original Conan is a fabulous film!

I'll take whatever you two fine gents are onto. I'd say i need it these days.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2012 edited
    I'm afraid we can't administer good taste D. tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You mean "parallel universe good taste"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    You mean "parallel universe good taste"

As You live in this one then yes! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No I do not, there is no oil in there.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    No I do not, there is no oil in there.

Wrong! The Tinman has plenty. biggrin
  11. E.T. RE-RECORDING - WILLIAMS

Where were you all my life? For years I've been thinking the MCA 1996 album was everything I ever needed.

I've been proven wrong by this glorious 40 minute album which has only highlights that reach for the skies, from the first minute to the last. love

You see Tim, I got it in the end. cool