• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    E.T. RE-RECORDING - WILLIAMS

Where were you all my life? For years I've been thinking the MCA 1996 album was everything I ever needed.

I've been proven wrong by this glorious 40 minute album which has only highlights that reach for the skies, from the first minute to the last. love

You see Tim, I got it in the end. cool

One trillion kudos points for you Gilles cool

What a corking album it is eh? punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : RAMBO : FIRST BLOOD PART 2 - Jerry Goldsmith

Muscular!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    E.T. RE-RECORDING - WILLIAMS

Where were you all my life? For years I've been thinking the MCA 1996 album was everything I ever needed.

I've been proven wrong by this glorious 40 minute album which has only highlights that reach for the skies, from the first minute to the last. love

You see Tim, I got it in the end. cool

Arguably one of the best soundtrack albums ever produced!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    No I do not, there is no oil in there.

Wrong! The Tinman has plenty. biggrin

Damn omg
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Muscular!

And oily.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2012 edited
    NP: La Hermandad - Arnau Bataller

A new horror score from Arnau Bataller? Yes please! First listen...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HOTEL BABYLON - Jim Williams & John Lunn

Music to very cheesy BBC show about the comings and goings in a 5 star hotel, the music is very much in the 'chill out' vein and a lot of it is very good too, more of a late night listen with a nice glass of something inebriating. I'd forgotten I had this but it's definitely getting more plays from me. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote

Muscular!

And oily.

VERY!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Let me correct you:

Erik Woods wrote

A new score from Arnau Bataller? Yes please! First listen...

-Erik-

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote

Muscular!

And oily.

VERY!

I just pm'ed you my postal address.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A wise descision biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Let me correct you:

Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

wink

No need for a correction. I wanted to give the community an idea as to what kind of score it is.

-Erik-
  1. PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Days of Thunder

Listening to this score while writing a blog entry about Tony Scott. I haven't listened to the score for ages. It's nothing amazing, but not as bad as Hans thought it was (I got that quote about Days of Thunder from Thomas's old website:

"People keep asking me why isn't the good music from Days of Thunder released... Because there is no good music!" Correct me, Thomas, because I am quoting from memory.

It's an average score to me, some great thematic material (Building the Car is blasting right now, I remember how shocked I was when I saw the movie last time and to compare this music to how... static the scene is, both in editing and filming). While it has a huge coolness factor, the score is emotionally very artificial. It's cool, it has a nice motion, but it's just empty. Maybe that's why Hans is so against it.

The movie is one of Scott's worst, but he beautifully explained why and he acknowledged it was bad, citing thinking that having Tom Cruise behind the wheel is pretty much enough to make a movie without a proper story, but well, it wasn't. Ironically some early reviews I saw called the movie... "Top Gun with a script."

I read somewhere that Hans actually said that, like most of his earlier scores he wasn't too fond of it, and he hopes these scores are never released. Of course with the death of Tony Scott, I see several scores of his movies getting a release soon
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Let me correct you:

Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

wink

No need for a correction. I wanted to give the community an idea as to what kind of score it is.

-Erik-

Yeah but every new Arnau score is great news regardless of genre smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    That's subjective. I didn't think La Herencia Valdemar II: La Sombra Prohibida was all that hot compared to the first one.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SIDEWAYS - Rolfe Kent

Really good! love
  2. Harry Gregson-Williams - Deja Vu

It's a difficult score to assess. The theme is one of the very best from the composer I think, very touching in its simple restraint and piano/guitar-led intimacy and the usage of it is great on this album. I love cues like Dazzle Me and Claire's Apartment.

Then we have the typical Harry Gregson-Williams/Tony Scott action music which isn't as appealing, to put it delicately. It's more noisy than the whole Brian Tyler career in film scoring. So ends up as a slightly-less-than-average score with a beautiful theme.

Oh, and the song is really cool. The composer's best along with what he did for Veronica Guerin.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Hitman - Geoff Zanelli

Sure, it is inspired by Powell's Bourne's score, but it certainly established its own unique identity, more than any other imitators, IMHO. It's certainly thematic enough to maintain my attention, and that's saying something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Harry Gregson-Williams - Deja Vu

It's a difficult score to assess.

Not for me, I'm afraid - hate it (and the film). I don't really like any of his scores for Scott, but this is possibly my least favourite of all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    NP : HOTEL BABYLON - Jim Williams & John Lunn

Music to very cheesy BBC show about the comings and goings in a 5 star hotel, the music is very much in the 'chill out' vein and a lot of it is very good too, more of a late night listen with a nice glass of something inebriating. I'd forgotten I had this but it's definitely getting more plays from me. cool

I did like to catch an episode or two, but I would never make it a staple.
    It was pleasantly entertaining enough for a TV show.

Didn't know there was a soundtrack out.
    Your description certainly peaks my interest...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I didn't know there was a soundtrack available either until I saw it in a Virgin store for very cheap. I just looked on Amazon and there was one used copy going for £29.95 shocked
  3. JUDGE DREDD - SILVESTRI

1995, the best year ever for film scores! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    JUDGE DREDD - SILVESTRI

Debatable.

Bloody good score that one though!

EDIT:- Looking through Alan's years best scores thread I described 1995 as 'a VERY good year for film music'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    JUDGE DREDD - SILVESTRI

Debatable.

Bloody good score that one though!

EDIT:- Looking through Alan's years best scores thread I described 1995 as 'a VERY good year for film music'.

Debatable indeed... but 1995 was a very good year and Judge Dredd was one of its finest scores!

-Erik-
  4. JOHN BARRY - THE SCARLET LETTER
    JOHN DEBNEY - CUTTHROAT ISLAND
    JERRY GOLDSMITH - FIRST KNIGHT
    JAMES HORNER - BRAVEHEART
    JAMES HORNER - APOLLO 13
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - WATERWORLD
    ALAN SILVESTRI - JUDGE DREDD
    HANS ZIMMER - CRIMSON TIDE

This is not debatable, these are the stuff of legend. For me. smile

The only major one missing is John, sadly.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    What I really love about horror scoring (and I think I've mentioned this before) is that it's the only genre that still allows purely symphonic music to stand out and is encouraged to help tell the story. You don't hear about test audiences bitching about the traditional old fashioned film score written for the horror genre do you? The louder and more present the score is the better. Composers, at times, can really stretch they wings even though they sometimes get cornered into providing obvious horror scoring.

Arnau Bataller's La Hermandad is like that. There's moments of such beauty - gorgeous cello solo with piano in "Mi Hija" - and huge orchestral swells in "El libro de Eli." This is all mixed within some traditional horror scoring - dissonance, atmosphere, orchestral stingers, etc. But at the end of the album we get a cue called "La confesión" which is probably one of the finest tracks of the year. Sweeping strings, piano, boy soprono... heavenly!

Solid score!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    JOHN BARRY - THE SCARLET LETTER
    JOHN DEBNEY - CUTTHROAT ISLAND
    JERRY GOLDSMITH - FIRST KNIGHT
    JAMES HORNER - BRAVEHEART
    JAMES HORNER - APOLLO 13
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - WATERWORLD
    ALAN SILVESTRI - JUDGE DREDD
    HANS ZIMMER - CRIMSON TIDE

This is not debatable, these are the stuff of legend. For me. smile

The only major one missing is John, sadly.

I counter that with 1982 and 1989! 'nuff said!

How about 1962. Did you see that list of Academy Award nominees?! Here's a little reminder.

Lawrence of Arabia – Maurice Jarre
    To Kill a Mockingbird – Elmer Bernstein
    Freud – Jerry Goldsmith
    Mutiny on the Bounty – Bronislau Kaper
    Taras Bulba – Franz Waxman

What about 1960.

Exodus – Ernest Gold
    Elmer Gantry – André Previn
    Spartacus – Alex North
    The Alamo – Dimitri Tiomkin
    The Magnificent Seven – Elmer Bernstein

shocked

That's some good shit right there!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Scarlet Letter - John Barry

What a stunner this score is. "Love Scene" is amongst the most intensely erotic pieces of film music I've heard; the vaguely Dances With Wolves-like music towards the finale is great. Heck, the whole thing's great.
  5. I've always liked that one. Not sure if it's quite my flagbearer of eroticism (hey, whatever works for you). I keep meaning to listen to that Elmer Bernstein rejected score I was so keen to get but still haven't given time to.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    I've always liked that one. Not sure if it's quite my flagbearer of eroticism (hey, whatever works for you). I keep meaning to listen to that Elmer Bernstein rejected score I was so keen to get but still haven't given time to.

You should - it's good. (I know this from the one occasion I listened to it, having so excitedly bought it. But really, it is good.)