• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2012
    Images - John Williams

This predominantly experimental/avant guard score was used for the Jaws temp track according to Spielberg on the blu-ray bonus feature. Small sections of Images would kind of work fine but what Mr. Williams was about to pull out of his sleeve for the actual score to Jaws is now (of course) legendary.
    In the right frame of mind when listening to Images I can really enjoy the creativity behind this unnerving score.
  1. NP: The Tree (Gregoire Hetzel)

Quite nice.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The Scarlet Letter - John Barry

What a stunner this score is. "Love Scene" is amongst the most intensely erotic pieces of film music I've heard; the vaguely Dances With Wolves-like music towards the finale is great. Heck, the whole thing's great.

Indeed it is! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Images - John Williams

This predominantly experimental/avant guard score was used for the Jaws temp track according to Spielberg on the blu-ray bonus feature. Small sections of Images would kind of work fine but what Mr. Williams was about to pull out of his sleeve for the actual score to Jaws is now (of course) legendary.
    In the right frame of mind when listening to Images I can really enjoy the creativity behind this unnerving score.

Same here. A very good and challenging score but not one I listen to often, hardly ever in fact.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ It's a perfect Halloween time score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2012 edited
    The Black Tulip - Christopher Young

Considering his reputation as a horror composer it's staggering how good he is at writing beautiful melodies, which he's proven again here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Harry Gregson-Williams - Deja Vu

It's a difficult score to assess.

Not for me, I'm afraid - hate it (and the film). I don't really like any of his scores for Scott, but this is possibly my least favourite of all.

Not a fan of Scott's musical approach either. Except for spy game and parts of man on fire and parts of crimson tide
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David OC wrote
    The Black Tulip - Christopher Young

Considering his reputation as a horror composer it's staggering how good he is at writing beautiful melodies, which he's proven again here.

It's absolutely gorgeous isn't it ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    What I really love about horror scoring (and I think I've mentioned this before) is that it's the only genre that still allows purely symphonic music to stand out and is encouraged to help tell the story. You don't hear about test audiences bitching about the traditional old fashioned film score written for the horror genre do you? The louder and more present the score is the better. Composers, at times, can really stretch they wings even though they sometimes get cornered into providing obvious horror scoring.

Arnau Bataller's La Hermandad is like that. There's moments of such beauty - gorgeous cello solo with piano in "Mi Hija" - and huge orchestral swells in "El libro de Eli." This is all mixed within some traditional horror scoring - dissonance, atmosphere, orchestral stingers, etc. But at the end of the album we get a cue called "La confesión" which is probably one of the finest tracks of the year. Sweeping strings, piano, boy soprono... heavenly!

Solid score!

-Erik-

Scoring for horror indeed offers some great opportunities and yields some spectacular scoring from time to time, especially coming from Spain. This score here is no exception. Glad you liked it Erik. Sure entry in the bests of year for me smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    A bit of break from my JW week...

NP: Hans Zimmer - Thelma & Louise - Thunderbird (from "Wings of A Film" album)

I love this live version. cool
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    DreamTheater wrote
    E.T. RE-RECORDING - WILLIAMS

Where were you all my life? For years I've been thinking the MCA 1996 album was everything I ever needed.

I've been proven wrong by this glorious 40 minute album which has only highlights that reach for the skies, from the first minute to the last. love

You see Tim, I got it in the end. cool

I was listening to it this evening, too. Great album
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SPIDERMAN - James Horner

spider
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    NP: L.A. Confidential - Jerry Goldsmith.

It has been far too long since I spun this gem. Been in a bit of a Goldsmith mood this morning having listened to Leviathan again and Congo - which was a recent first time purchase for me. Congo is a great companion score to the excellent Ghost and the Darkness.
    Insert witty line here
  2. TINTIN - JOHN WILLIAMS

I just love the 2 Williams scores from last year. Hopefully Lincoln will be as entertaining, but I have a feeling it will be a tad darker and more moody. Scores for biopics tend to be that way.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote

Not really. It's a piss poor score for a very mediocre film.
  3. Neilbucket wrote
    NP: L.A. Confidential - Jerry Goldsmith.

It has been far too long since I spun this gem. Been in a bit of a Goldsmith mood this morning having listened to Leviathan again and Congo - which was a recent first time purchase for me. Congo is a great companion score to the excellent Ghost and the Darkness.

Congo is underrated, the Lebo M contributions are wonderful and worth getting the disc for.

I re-watched The Ghost and the Darkness recently and the score works wonders for the film, very good Jerry.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Shuffling John Williams Greatest Hits album.

I need to listen to Empire of the Sun fully... I love the suite.

And I must admit I don't like The Raiders' March...

tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Transformers Prime Brian Tyler

Very entertaining.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Miya wrote

tongue

you dare to say such a thing in territory prowled by the Erik Woods!? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    TINTIN - JOHN WILLIAMS

I just love the 2 Williams scores from last year. Hopefully Lincoln will be as entertaining, but I have a feeling it will be a tad darker and more moody. Scores for biopics tend to be that way.

And what's wrong with that? Munich was fantastic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Not really. It's a piss poor score for a very mediocre film.

I have a funny sensation that I've seen that film before....hmmmm. Or did I watch it and wipe it from my memory?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    'Deja Vu' just about sums up Tony Scott's films.
  4. Do you remember watching a movie about Denzel Washington going back in time to save the lady?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Timmer wrote
    Miya wrote

tongue

you dare to say such a thing in territory prowled by the Erik Woods!? shocked

I hope there won't be too much blood when I wake up tomorrow morning! wink

I'm going to bed with Close Encounters Of The Third Kind wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    TINTIN - JOHN WILLIAMS

I prefer dark & moody, I'm thinking more along the lines of JFK and NIXON, both of which are fantastic scores, Lincoln will make it a presidential trio.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Do you remember watching a movie about Denzel Washington going back in time to save the lady?

Unfortunately I do.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

I don't rate his films at all, besides TRUE ROMANCE I don't much of any worth in the rest of his films. I was very saddened to hear of Tony Scott's passing but I'm not going to change my opinion just because of that.
  5. Demetris wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    TINTIN - JOHN WILLIAMS

Munich is a rare Spielberg movie and Williams score that didn't grab me like most of their collaborations have done.

And sorry if you say that Munich is fantastic and I don't believe you, because you also say that about B. Tyler. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2012 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Demetris wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    TINTIN - JOHN WILLIAMS

Munich is a rare Spielberg movie and Williams score that didn't grab me like most of their collaborations have done.

And sorry if you say that Munich is fantastic and I don't believe you, because you also say that about B. Tyler. wink

Woah, strong arguments there. You got me. Touche.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I don't rate his films at all, besides TRUE ROMANCE I don't much of any worth in the rest of his films. I was very saddened to hear of Tony Scott's passing but I'm not going to change my opinion just because of that.

Indeed, I feel the same. I think the only reason I like True Romance is for its script. I'm just not a fan of Scott's style, particularly with his newer films. That said, condolences to his family and friends! sad