• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Bregt wrote

Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone

SOme of it is absolutely stunning. Recordare, Ecstasy of Gold (one of the greatest renditions!), the Main Theme for Once Upon a Time in the West and Marco Polo are my favourites.

Does anyone know how that cd was called of a concert recording in Rome? I once rented it in the library, but can't find the name any more. I remember Erik loved it as well.

One of my favourite albums, stunning from beginning to end.

The Amazing Spider-Man Horner

Brilliant. Initially I found the main theme a little corny, especially when performed solo on brass, but now I love pretty much the whole thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2012
    lp wrote
    NP: Battleship - Steve Jablonsky

There are some really excellent musical pieces in here, as Steve Jablonsky demonstrate his talent for long form musical development. But half of the album has too much sound design that I can't grab onto. The movie is just as bad, the VFX work is awesome, but the story needed more work.

Whah? wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    John Chambers wrote

The Amazing Spider-Man Horner

Brilliant. Initially I found the main theme a little corny, especially when performed solo on brass, but now I love pretty much the whole thing.

Glad you liked it my friend, it's certainly one of the year's best scores!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Harry Potter & The Philosopher's Stone - John Williams

I usually listen to Hook or Home Alone when I feel like this kind of JW music, so it's been a while since I played it last time.

I don't have The Chamber of Secrets, because when I saw the movie (long time ago) I thought it wasn't so different from the first score. But is it worth even if I have the first album?
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Miya wrote

I usually listen to Hook or Home Alone when I feel like this kind of JW music, so it's been a while since I played it last time.

I don't have The Chamber of Secrets, because when I saw the movie (long time ago) I thought it wasn't so different from the first score. But is it worth even if I have the first album?

Yes and no. It's not Williams' most inspired work, but the Fawkes theme is gorgeous!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - Thomas Newman

"Assault on the Senses" is lovely. cool

This album is one of my favourite plays this year, really lovely.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Miya wrote

Yes and no. It's not Williams' most inspired work, but the Fawkes theme is gorgeous!

I like it and play it more than 'Philosophers'.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hammett - John Barry

Super score, super liner notes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Bregt wrote
    Does anyone know how that cd was called of a concert recording in Rome? I once rented it in the library, but can't find the name any more. I remember Erik loved it as well.

Cinema Concerto: Ennio Morricone at Santa Cecilia

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Hammett - John Barry

Besides yourself I am possibly the only one to have read them at this board.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Miya wrote

Hell yeah! It is Williams' second best Potter score. 4-5 brand new themes. Rocking action music which sounds like Williams back in his Temple of Doom days. A brand new finale written for Harry's Wondrous World (my favorite rendition.) It's an extraordinary score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Hammett - John Barry

Besides yourself I am possibly the only one to have read them at this board.

Possibly! I heard they were shortlisted for a Pullitzer Prize, not sure how true that is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Mary, Queen of Scots - John Barry

Spectacularly gorgeous score - what a collection of themes. As I say so often in relation to this man's scores - there are more great themes in this than a lot of film composers manage in their whole careers.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Mary, Queen of Scots - John Barry

Spectacularly gorgeous score - what a collection of themes. As I say so often in relation to this man's scores - there are more great themes in this than a lot of film composers manage in their whole careers.

Sad but TRUE!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Thor wrote
    Miya wrote

Timmer wrote
    I like it and play it more than 'Philosophers'.

Thanks, Thor & Timmer. Probably I'll try it anytime soon, when I get the Harry Potter mood again.

NP: Some of my favorite beautiful pieces

Hymn To The Fallen - Saving Private Ryan (John Williams)
    Leave No Man Behind - Black Hawk Down (Hans Zimmer)
    Okuribito ~Ending~ - Okuribito/Departures (Joe Hisaishi)
    Define Dancing - Wall-E (Thomas Newman)
    Where's Hiccup? - How To Train Your Dragon (John Powell)
    Theme - The Last Emperor (Ryuichi Sakamoto)
    Hilly Town - Whisper of The Heart (Nomi Yuji)

A playlist for bedtime. sleep <- good yawn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Erik Woods wrote
    Miya wrote

Hell yeah! It is Williams' second best Potter score. 4-5 brand new themes. Rocking action music which sounds like Williams back in his Temple of Doom days. A brand new finale written for Harry's Wondrous World (my favorite rendition.) It's an extraordinary score!

-Erik-

Oh and I missed your post... thanks! smile
  2. Bregt wrote[/]

[b]Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone

SOme of it is absolutely stunning. Recordare, Ecstasy of Gold (one of the greatest renditions!), the Main Theme for Once Upon a Time in the West and Marco Polo are my favourites.

I just utterly adore the track 'Gabriel's oboe'. I remember the first time I heard it, and in the beginning there is the stunning cello, but I missed the oboe, then the second stanza the oboe joins in and it becomes a duet... I was in heaven...
    Absolutely stunning album.

E.
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Demetris wrote
    lp wrote
    NP: Battleship - Steve Jablonsky

There are some really excellent musical pieces in here, as Steve Jablonsky demonstrate his talent for long form musical development. But half of the album has too much sound design that I can't grab onto. The movie is just as bad, the VFX work is awesome, but the story needed more work.

Whah? wink

It's true. I really like Jablonsky's long cues where you hear the ideas behind it. Tracks like 1, 3, 4, and 5 works really well for me. That brass theme is excellent whenever it pops up in the album.

The movie itself isn't great, but is pretty much worth watching for the amazing VFX. Every single shot involving water is at least 75% digital.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Tinker Bell - Joel Mcneely

A gem. Gorgeous score with some beautiful sweeping themes. Old school symphonic film music with a celtic touch. My daughter loves it as well!

I'll probably re-discover the two other Tinker Bell scores I have of McNeely's later in the day. He's done a lot of fine work for these direct to video movies!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

It's scores like this that tend to take a little explaining to 'civilians'.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

It's scores like this that tend to take a little explaining to 'civilians'.

So, so true!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    What's there to explain?

-Erik-
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    What's there to explain?

-Erik-

Maybe where you got it? There's not much music from this film available I think?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, this one came via the IFMCA.

-Erik-
  4. How well does the suite reflect the score as a whole?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Pretty well, actually, since it's the end credit suite.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    What's there to explain?

-Erik-

What do you think. uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    No, why don't you tell me?

-Erik-
  5. I think that he meant that a classical sounding film score wouldn't apply to modern tastes as witnessed by the heavy popularity of Hans Zimmer and RCP works.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2012 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think that he meant that a classical sounding film score wouldn't apply to modern tastes as witnessed by the heavy popularity of Hans Zimmer and RCP works.

What he means is I'VE GOT THE SCORE TO TINKERBELL, explain that one. biggrin wink

TINKERBELL fer fooks sake!!!