• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think that he meant that a classical sounding film score wouldn't apply to modern tastes as witnessed by the heavy popularity of Hans Zimmer and RCP works.

What he means is I'VE GOT THE SCORE TO TINKERBELL, explain that one. biggrin wink

TINKERBELL fer fooks sake!!!

Exactly! A big, butch guy like Erik listening to an album called Tinker Bell! rolleyes wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2012
    I knew what he was saying I just wanted him to say it.

Remember, I'm a father so listening to (and watching) Tinker Bell with my daughter (at her request) is Ok. But in any case, I have no issues telling people I listen to that score, or any of the Twilight scores or anything else that a big, butch guy SHOULDN'T be listening to. I'm a film music geek. Isn't that crazy enough?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. NP: Moonrise Kingdom (Various)

I'm not crazy about the Britten stuff from 'Noye's Fludde', effective though it is in the film. What I do enjoy more, having now seen the film, is the wistful 'Cuckoo' song from Britten, the cue from Britten's Midsummer Night's Dream, and the songs from Hank Williams. (The fairy tale quirky material from Desplat and Britten's Guide to the Young Person's Orchestra were always charming.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Moonrise Kingdom (Various)

I'm not crazy about the Britten stuff from 'Noye's Fludde', effective though it is in the film. What I do enjoy more, having now seen the film, is the wistful 'Cuckoo' song from Britten, the cue from Britten's Midsummer Night's Dream, and the songs from Hank Williams. (The fairy tale quirky material from Desplat and Britten's Guide to the Young Person's Orchestra were always charming.)

And of course De L'amour by Françoise Hardy. What a song!
    Kazoo
  3. Ah yes. Quite a scene too.

Seriously -- what a really nice film.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Les Biches - Pierre Jansen

One of my absolute favourite Chabrol films and always wanted to have Jansen's wonderfully unsettling score on CD. Probably rank this as one of my favourite releases of recent times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

Remember, I'm a father so listening to (and watching) Tinker Bell with my daughter (at her request) is Ok. But in any case, I have no issues telling people I listen to that score, or any of the Twilight scores or anything else that a big, butch guy SHOULDN'T be listening to. I'm a film music geek. Isn't that crazy enough?

-Erik-

I didn't mean to touch a nerve, I was just pointing out it's a funny world we film music fans occupy. I was poking fun at our niche interest. It's important to see the funny side is it not? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think that he meant that a classical sounding film score wouldn't apply to modern tastes as witnessed by the heavy popularity of Hans Zimmer and RCP works.

Er... no.

... uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I didn't mean to touch a nerve, I was just pointing out it's a funny world we film music fans occupy. I was poking fun at our niche interest. It's important to see the funny side is it not? wink

My reply above wasn't supposed to be taken too seriously.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2012 edited
    Steven wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Er... no.

... uhm

Let me help you:

"aaaaaarrrrrrrrrr "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

*Insert a certain Zimmer score here*
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Avengers - Joel McNeely

One of a few Joel McNeely score I really enjoy. Would have loved to hear what Michael Kamen came up with though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Only a few? shocked

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote

One of a few Joel McNeely score I really enjoy. Would have loved to hear what Michael Kamen came up with though.

It's a great score but a shame that the superb and Bondish main theme doesn't get more of a workout.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    Only a few? shocked

-Erik-

I'm open to some thing along the line of The Avengers and Soldier. I love the martial stuff in the latter score. I'm in a bit of a brassy mood today.

NP: The Musketeer - David Arnold

Yummy. Love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote

It's a great score but a shame that the superb and Bondish main theme doesn't get more of a workout.

yes!!!! The thematic material is hugely under utilized. This would have been a 5 star score if we had more statements of the theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Band of Brothers - Michael Kamen

I was lucky enough to meet Kamen a couple of times, and he was a very generous, very funny, very passionate man - but I didn't need to meet him to know that. It's right there in his music. This is quite some album.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2012
    Species - Christopher Young

The main titles cue is a great beginning. 3 or 4 cues do feel redundant but the rest of the score - especially the action music - is pure gold! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

I was lucky enough to meet Kamen a couple of times, and he was a very generous, very funny, very passionate man - but I didn't need to meet him to know that. It's right there in his music. This is quite some album.

Some of the best scores ever written imo, and Z and co ripped it off poorly later on for the pacific.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    David OC wrote
    Species - Christopher Young

The main titles cue is a great beginning. 3 or 4 cues do feel redundant but the rest of the score - especially the action music - is pure gold! smile

Great score but I absolutely love the track Star Bright love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote

Some of the best scores ever written imo, and Z and co ripped it off poorly later on for the pacific.

I don't think it's much of a Band of Brothers rip-off. And I don't think it's very poor either. I see The Pacific more as The Thin Red Line for Dummies.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote

I don't think it's much of a Band of Brothers rip-off. And I don't think it's very poor either. I see The Pacific more as The Thin Red Line for Dummies.

'The Thin Red Line for dummies'? Why??
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I'm sure he has a better more technical explanation but the overall feel and orchestrations are reminiscent of TTRL, it just has more traditional and obvious melodic sense.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  5. Yeah, exactly. The series also make very similar points about the effect of war on a human being though without all the philosophical backdrops. It is just more melodic and more obvious in its emotional intensity. In fact a major Zanelli theme is basically a Light rip-off and not a small one at that.

To Matt's points, I would also add an obvious harmonic sense, there are no subtle dissonances in the thematic material, it's very neoclassical in its harmony and melodic approach. And the main theme rather than being a ripoff of Kamen's beautiful theme is merely a more token Americana melody, pretty, but somewhat generic at that.

I do like The Pacific and that Light rip-off, go figure, is one of my favourite non-Zimmer RCP tunes.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Yoko - Mark Anthony Yeager (a Badelt minion/student-person)
    Its sort of okish but really boring and cliched. It's probably one of his first scores ever so I won't judge him too harshly, and it seems to be entirely synthetic (unless I'm hearing wrong) so that makes it hard for anything to really shine unless you're as clever with them as someone like Zimmer or Soule (not that Zimmer and Soule are anything alike, they are just both good with synths).

Unless you are an RCP or Badelt fanatic, just don't bother this this score.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  6. Angels In America - Thomas Newman

I wonder if Newman has it in him to compose anything as fully realized and epic as this again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2012 edited
    NP: Judge Dredd - Alan Silvestri

Still feeling very brassy today. And this is one of my favorite Silvestri score that fills the need exceptionally well. This would have made for an excellent Avengers score. Those martial drums, that victorious theme, those brassy passages, dat ass... yummy.

Any plans to release a complete edition of this wonderful score?
  7. lp wrote

No rumors yet.

Looking over quickly at their CD's, I see these were released by LLLR:

"Hook"
    "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier"
    "Godzilla"

I stopped -- didn't see any other title released by other labels, so ... so far it's only LLLR releasing new editions of previously released Epic Records scores.

So, I bet they're working on it. No way LLLR would pass that up.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    justin boggan wrote
    lp wrote

No rumors yet.

Looking over quickly at their CD's, I see these were released by LLLR:

"Hook"
    "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier"
    "Godzilla"

I stopped -- didn't see any other title released by other labels, so ... so far it's only LLLR releasing new editions of previously released Epic Records scores.

So, I bet they're working on it. No way LLLR would pass that up.

I know I wouldn't pass it up. I love their Godzilla release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2012
    NP: Johnny English - Edward Shearmur

Extremely enjoyable. Very fair amount of brassy stuff and just really well done. This, and his Reign of Fire score is my favorite Shearmur score. Way better than Ilan Eshkeri's sequel score, IMHO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2012
    If you love brass try some Conti on for size! Just listen to THIS!

-Erik-