• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Vangelis - Antarctica

Wow. Just wow. Such a beauty.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2012 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Vangelis - Antarctica

I love this album, glorious music and the (sorry shame ) polar opposite of Ralph Vaughan Williams seeringly ice cold take on the continent.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. James Horner - Apollo 13

On the exquisite Docking right now. And after that Master Alarm. Who can want more?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2012
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Vangelis - Antarctica

I love this album, glorious music and the (sorry shame ) polar opposite of Ralph Vaughan Williams seeringly ice cold take on the continent.

I love it too, but I haven't listened to it fully for long time... maybe I'll play it this weekend. It'll cool down this hot and humid Tokyo air cool
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    For you Herrmann noobs I highly recommend you do a few things.

1) Listen to Amer Zahid's excellent and informative two part radio tribute to Bernard Herrmann.
    PART I | PART II

2) Buy Joel McNeely's outstanding recording to Vertigo. You can hear selections from that album HERE!

3) Listen to my praise of Esa-Pekka Salonen's THE FILM SCORES and then afterwards purchase the album.

4) Have a listen to my tribute to Charles Gerhardt. I feature music from Herrmann in Parts 1 and 4. And then make purchasing Citizen Kane - The Classic Film Scores Of Bernard Herrmann a priority.

5) Purchase Silva Screen's The Essential Bernard Herrmann Film Music Collection Two discs of re-recorded material that provides the listener with a perfect overview of the man's work!

Enjoy!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Demetris wrote
    That score is marvellous! L.A.Noire, top stuff. Is the game any good, DT?

the game is very good, I loved playing it

The game is an interactive detective thriller with a complex and twisting storyline that puts many Hollywood films to shame. The performance capture in the game is amazing, featuring the most lifelike characters ever seen in a game. It really is a unique gaming experience.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Atham wrote
    The Shadow - Jerry Goldsmith (Intrada)

Oh man! This is great! Really fun stuff. So glad they've released the complete score. So much to digest but so darn good! Might have to watch the film someday too.

Haha! This might be even more fun than Star Trek and will probably get more spins too. beer

The film is cool! I've been watching it since it came out and it's tongue-in-cheek and entertaining comic adaptation with a stylish look. In fact, Jerry made it completely fun.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Also, it's interesting to note how much the video game score of 'L.A. Noire' resembles Taxi Driver. Have you heard it yet Tim?

Yes I have and it's VERY good! It also comes as no surprise to know that he plays in Sade's backing band.

Ah didn't know that. smile
  5. Erik and Tim: I'll check out your recommendations. I've been meaning to get to know some of the better music from the golden age.

The thunderous Cyclops music will make you want to stamp around your house smashing everything with a big log. wink

Looking forward to that. biggrin
  6. James Horner - To Gillian on Her 37th Birthday

A very restrained subtle work, consisting mostly of piano, oboe and electronic background. An orchestra is present, quite small-sized (strings, woodwinds and a solo French horn) and is used in the beginning and end of the album. I think the final piece is a bit too intense in context of the rest of the score, but I know it's just me. Anyway, a beautiful and forgotten Horner score (you can't win if you are between Braveheart, Apollo 13 and Titanic though!) with a really pretty theme to boot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The horn solos in that score melt me! An excellent score all around!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: WAR HORSE (John Williams)

We often use the word 'gorgeous' too much, but here's one where it's extremely fitting.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

We often use the word 'gorgeous' too much, but here's one where it's extremely fitting.

It is but since I've had it I don't play it enough slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

It is but since I've had it I don't play it enough slant

You should. It only gets better with each time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: WAR OF THE WORLDS (John Williams)

Dark and gruelling, very ostinato-driven -- one of JW's most grim scores (and I mean that in a positive sense). A masterful display of his more underrated textural writing.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Love it as well!
  7. Thor wrote

Dark and gruelling, very ostinato-driven -- one of JW's most grim scores (and I mean that in a positive sense). A masterful display of his more underrated textural writing.

For me it will never be more than a 'works great in the film' kind of score.
  8. Erik concerning your streams on your CSR website, is there a way to download them in stead of having to listen while they're downloading, so I can save them as an MP3 to listen on my portable player? Do you even allow such a thing?

I have the possibility to listen while I'm at work, but only through my MP3 device.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    There is a way but I legally can't tell you!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  9. James Newton Howard - Outbreak

Haven't heard this one in years. I remember it being nice enough. I've heard there is a bootleg that is better than the Varese album?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2012 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik concerning your streams on your CSR website, is there a way to download them in stead of having to listen while they're downloading, so I can save them as an MP3 to listen on my portable player? Do you even allow such a thing?

I have the possibility to listen while I'm at work, but only through my MP3 device.

Something about windows temp files ? Or a browser flash downloaded addon or something.And there is also a record what your thingy if you enable some disabled audio devices in your sound tab in the control panel.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  10. Erik has helped me on the matter. Thanks a lot! smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2012
    Southall wrote
    You can tell me, I'm a doctor.

So I've heard.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

For me it will never be more than a 'works great in the film' kind of score.

I can understand why some people would think that, yourself included, personally I love it, a fabulous score in film and on CD.
  11. DreamTheater wrote
    Erik has helped me on the matter. Thanks a lot! smile

Ah, the maintitles.net underworld! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2012 edited
    V For Vendetta Dario Marianelli

Always surprises me how good this one is each time I listen to it.
  12. Timmer wrote

Watcha gonna get next? I'd highly ( seriously highly ) recommend you get one of the greatest scores ever written, VERTIGO and make sure it's Joel McNeely's sublime rerecording and also 7th VOYAGE OF SINBAD ( now this is how you score a fantasy film, Herrmann never needed a thousand voice choir to convey the fantastical* ) rerecorded by John Debney. The thunderous Cyclops music will make you want to stamp around your house smashing everything with a big log. wink

*I love choirs in fantasy scores it's just that I feel that nowadays they are mostly overused and help to hide composer shortcomings.

I've gone and checked out Sinbad and I must have heard the original recording because it sounds so bad and all over the place. I don't know if I will like this more with the Debney re-recording, because the music itself sounds so sinister, so moody and dark and unlike what I was expecting, a bit more swashbuckling and heroic, you know a bit more like Rosza. Clearly I don't have a clue what kind of composer Herrmann really was.

Should I give Debney's version a try, even if Herrmann's score didn't impress me at all? I like Taxi Driver a lot, but Sinbad is something totally different...
  13. Brian Tyler - The Expendables

Too long an album, boring underscore, far from brilliant thematic material which is a combination of Goldsmith's Rambo 2 theme with Horner's Uncommon Valor chord progressions, but the best action music along Eagle Eye, I'd say.
  14. THE HELP - Thomas Newman

My favorite Newman score in a while. It was criminally undermixed in the (very good) film. I really enjoy "Constantine," "Amen," and "Aint You Tired?" Beautiful stuff.