• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Superman Returns - Colin O'Malley

To my ears, O'Malley's score for this EA game is much more enjoyable than John Ottman's score for the film. Grand orchestral scoring that is exciting from start to finish that is more memorable that the equivalent score for the film.

One thing that the film's score does have over the game score is references to John Williams' Superman fanfare/theme.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    If you love brass try some Conti on for size! Just listen to THIS!

-Erik-

That's an excellent cue.

I'll have to listen to his Master of the Universe score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Angels In America - Thomas Newman

I wonder if Newman has it in him to compose anything as fully realized and epic as this again.

Like I've said elsewhere here on this board, I'm so looking forward to hearing his Bond score, the choice is so lleft of field, I hope he comes out with some big thematic licks and gives the subtler stuff some substance like John Barry did ( in spades ), this is one occasion where I really don't know what we'll get.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Timmer wrote
    David OC wrote
    Species - Christopher Young

The main titles cue is a great beginning. 3 or 4 cues do feel redundant but the rest of the score - especially the action music - is pure gold! smile

Great score but I absolutely love the track Star Bright love

Yeah love 'Star Bright' too, really fleshes out the main title piece, and great Elfman-like use of voices.
    'A Vibrant Slime' and 'Worm Hole' are great action tracks - and (something I just noticed yesterday) there's an increasing kind of Horner feel to the wonderful 'Fever'.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Debbie Wiseman - Haunted

This was the first score of hers I noticed and it still has a magical feel. Two glorious themes, often cleverly interwoven, and some very decent atmospherics for the supernatural angle.
    • CommentAuthorzond0
    Phantom of the Opera - 2004 movie version

Kind of a guilty pleasure. I liked Michael Crawford singing Phantom in the original, but I do love Emmy Rossum's Christine. Plus her stuff is in my range as an alto/mezzo.

Plus, really, who doesn't like some epic organ every once in a while?
    Those who have a why to live for can overcome almost any how. -Nietzsche
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Superman Returns - Colin O'Malley

To my ears, O'Malley's score for this EA game is much more enjoyable than John Ottman's score for the film. Grand orchestral scoring that is exciting from start to finish that is more memorable that the equivalent score for the film.

yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2012
    NP: The A-Team - Alan Silvestri

The theme that Alan came up with works well, though it's kinda "predictable". Most of the orchestral material works really well, and still better than his latest score for the Avengers, which says something to me. ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    The Avengers is quite possibly the most generic, personality-less scores of all the Top 25 All-Time box office hits. Maybe the Hooper HP scores are close but even they have more creativity than this.

It still works perfectly in the film though. Whedon has never had particularly in-your-face scoring. The little guitar theme for Serenity is the most melodic, traditional thing I've heard in a Whedon production.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    The Avengers is quite possibly the most generic, personality-less scores of all the Top 25 All-Time box office hits. Maybe the Hooper HP scores are close but even they have more creativity than this.

It still works perfectly in the film though. Whedon has never had particularly in-your-face scoring. The little guitar theme for Serenity is the most melodic, traditional thing I've heard in a Whedon production.

That Avengers theme though, kinda works well......... They should have temped the thing with Judge Dredd. I love that score. It would have been perfect.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I like The Avengers score, you're right though, it's not Judge Dredd.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    Scribe wrote

That Avengers theme though, kinda works well......... They should have temped the thing with Judge Dredd. I love that score. It would have been perfect.

The theme and its variations are pretty good indeed! But i don't blame Silvestri, the film was a constant ride of sfx, no dialogue, no character development, just action and banging, where could he fit actual scoring in there?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Demetris wrote
    no dialogue, no character development

confused confused confused confused confused confused confused confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2012 edited
    NP: A Wartime Sketchbook - Sir William Walton

A Walton work I had not heard before (from what I understand drawn from film scores and arranged by Christopher Palmer). As always with Walton, it is very classical in style. Some really beautiful moments, and some dramatic weight, together with some nice playful dance numbers.
    - What matters is the music -
  2. Hans Zimmer - The Dark Knight Rises

Imagine the Fire is playing now. One of my favourite action tracks from the man in recent years, except Mombasa.

Well, I like this score, the most well-rounded listening experience of the trilogy and I really like it. My review copy came, so finally I'm listening to it from an original CD.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    NP: Dredd - Paul Leonard-Morgan

Just finished listening to this and here's another electronic, "industrial" score to add to the list of other scores of this style. There's definitely a mix of soundscape and "electro-rock" tracks that make for a score that euphemistically "probably fits well with the movie". It's a sign of the times and this effort should not be compared with the original score - or for scores that have grand themes. In action scoring, these thematic scores seem to be the thing of the past.

Having said that, Leonard-Morgan's score does rise above the other textural-type scores whenever it's in "electro-rock" mode: driving rhythms and crunching guitars in tracks such as "She's A Pass", "Mini-Guns", "Order In The Chaos" and "Judge, Jury and Executioner" are very listenable to my ears (though in small doses) but sound more like tracks from a contemporary instrumental rock band's album rather than from a film score.

It's a score that I probably wouldn't listen to more than once all the way through, but there are certainly tracks that I'd want to cherry-pick for listening to away from the album (and film).

[Edit] - Oh, and all the talk of the "slo-mo" music using the fancy electronics? Didn't seem to add anything new to the mix for this style of scoring.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Battle for Terra - Abel Korzeniowski
    "Flying With Whales" shocked
    Abel seems to have stolen all of JNH's post-2007 talent!
  3. Isn't Battle For Terra due for a proper release? Have I missed it already or am I just imagining a release is upcoming? I have a few tracks and would like to hear more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I don't recall hearing anything about a proper release. sad I have a promo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Demetris wrote
    no dialogue, no character development

confused confused confused confused confused confused confused confused

No kidding. What the hell movie were you watching, D. I will agree that the score had zero room to breathe and didn't make any sort of impact until about 2 hours into the movie.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Scribe wrote
    I don't recall hearing anything about a proper release. sad I have a promo.

Maybe I just heard rumours at the time and it morphed into an upcoming release in my memory.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Bird on a Wire - Hans Zimmer

Oh my. The gorgeous love theme is just sublime, and oh so short. The pop elements used are typical Zimmer of the time, but still very melodically driven and catchy. The action cues are pretty interesting, for the time at least, oscillating between dissonance and thematically based orchestral passages, but very well rounded and melodically thought out. This score needs to be released. PERIOD. Like RIGHT NOW!!!
  5. I actually hate the score, because of the orchestrations and lack of arrangement coherence.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I actually hate the score, because of the orchestrations and lack of arrangement coherence.

I think we did have this conversation before. I agree that some part of the score is kind of all over the place. But there are so many good elements about this score, especially the overt melodic nature of it, that wins me over despite slightly amateurish aspect to some part of the arrangement/orchestration.

Plus, it's a great companion piece to Black Rain. Same scoring period, but very different approach.
  6. Yeah, I am still fascinated by the dark ambient moments of Black Rain, glad that one gets a release and I hope there will be a vastly superior sound quality than the one on the bootlegs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yeah, I am still fascinated by the dark ambient moments of Black Rain, glad that one gets a release and I hope there will be a vastly superior sound quality than the one on the bootlegs.

Yeah, I'm listening to it now, and it's quite ponderous and synthy at time. The soundscape feel otherwordly and alien, suggesting the perception of Japan by Michael Douglas's character.

NP: Black Rain - Hans Zimmer
    The Asian instrumentation is quite similar to his work with Ryuichi Sakamoto on The Last Emperor. One of my favorite, of course, which does include David Byrne's contributions.
  7. The Red violin Corigliano

Mesmerising and at times heartbreaking, the orchestrations are fantastic. A wonderful album.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Chambers wrote
    The Red violin Corigliano

Mesmerising and at times heartbreaking, the orchestrations are fantastic. A wonderful album.

Good film too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yeah, I am still fascinated by the dark ambient moments of Black Rain, glad that one gets a release and I hope there will be a vastly superior sound quality than the one on the bootlegs.

Yeah, I'm listening to it now, and it's quite ponderous and synthy at time. The soundscape feel otherwordly and alien, suggesting the perception of Japan by Michael Douglas's character.

NP: Black Rain - Hans Zimmer
    The Asian instrumentation is quite similar to his work with Ryuichi Sakamoto on The Last Emperor. One of my favorite, of course, which does include David Byrne's contributions.

Zimmer worked on The Last Emperor?
  8. As an "associate producer". Methinks he could have been a synthesizer programmer on it. Credited as Hans F. Zimmer.