• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2012
    PawelStroinski wrote
    As an "associate producer". Methinks he could have been a synthesizer programmer on it. Credited as Hans F. Zimmer.

I remember reading an interview about 10-15 years ago where he mentioned having to do some work on the score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2012 edited
    I'm intrigued to know exactly what Zimmer's input was? Sakamoto is very proficient in electronics ( anyone remember Yellow Magic Orchestra? )......assuming that is, that it was Skamoto's work that Zimmer helped out on? or was it Byrne's or Cong Su's??
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    lp wrote
    NP: Black Rain - Hans Zimmer
    The Asian instrumentation is quite similar to his work with Ryuichi Sakamoto on The Last Emperor. One of my favorite, of course, which does include David Byrne's contributions.

I think it's more similar to Sakamoto's Merry Chrisitmas Mr. Lawrence, rather than The Last Emperor.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkWjsT_SJNI

Hisaishi's The Paths of Wind from My Neighbour Totoro also has a bit of similarity, and both pieces are (almost) everyone's favorite in Japan biggrin
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RfXJjhgiCM

NP: Totoro!
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Ryuichi Sakamoto - Playing The Piano (a compilation of his piano performances of his film & non-film works)

However annoying he's becoming as an anti-nuclear activist, the beauty of his music will never change. Even though he uses a lot of (as he calls) "just electricity" to create this album, his piano sounds superb.

love & slant for The Professor (his nickname).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    Demetris wrote
    no dialogue, no character development

confused confused confused confused confused confused confused confused

Indeed! I was surprised at just how well The Avengers worked. It had great potential to fall flat on its arse, but it didn't. It just worked. Joss Whedon handled each character so well!

What's good about The Avengers is if you're a fan of Captain America, it's a good Captain America film. If you're a fan of Iron Man, it's a good Iron Man film. If you're a fan of... well, you get the idea. The action scenes actually mean something because Whedon took the time to develop the characters coming together as a team. He developed them through good dialogue. So, yeah... what film did you watch? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    I don't recall hearing anything about a proper release. sad I have a promo.

Want!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: The Land Before Time - James Honer

Playing this loud for the neighbors!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    I don't recall hearing anything about a proper release. sad I have a promo.

want!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Demetris wrote

Indeed! I was surprised at just how well The Avengers worked. It had great potential to fall flat on its arse, but it didn't. It just worked. Joss Whedon handled each character so well!

What's good about The Avengers is if you're a fan of Captain America, it's a good Captain America film. If you're a fan of Iron Man, it's a good Iron Man film. If you're a fan of... well, you get the idea. The action scenes actually mean something because Whedon took the time to develop the characters coming together as a team. He developed them through good dialogue. So, yeah... what film did you watch? dizzy

How much of the other characters you actually saw being developed? Hulk was an angry monkey smashing things. The hot chick aka Scarlett Johannson was useless, the arrow throwing guy was highlighted a lot but was something like out of LOTR, Thor just run behind Iron Man's ass...It was practically an Iron man meets Captain America and they drag a lot of puppies with them all the time. I didn't think it was bad, but too many characters to have the time and space to study them altogether at once. And i am a bit tired of the uber coolness of Iron Man in those movies, ok we got it already. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: A League of Their Own (official release) - Hans Zimmer

Though I have the promo, I listen to the two suites more often, because they are very good representations of the whole score. Life Goes On theme is one of my favorite themes from him, and The Final Game is a great fun! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    My thoughts on the matter:

-Black Widow and Hawkeye's relationship was very well scripted and developed considering it was a nearly meaningless sideshow in a film that's not primarily about them.

-Dialogue-driven scenes like the verbal showdown between Loki and Black Widow are what make the film stand out on a character-development level. They are tight, well-written (unless you just don't get Whedon's unique way of writing, which is fine, I know its not for everyone) and honestly, in how many action movies do you get to see 3-5 minutes of the villain and a minor female character pouring out their souls to each other? Its the little things.

-I thought this film did a better job of developing Bruce Banner/Hulk's character than either of the previous two actual Hulk films. In those, he was just Generic Sad Angsty Man. In this one, he was actually interesting. Ruffalo's acting was brilliant, the nude scene as well as the "puny god" scene were priceless humor, and its rare to see more character insight/development accomplished with one line of dialogue than his "I'm always angry" moment.

I could keep going but you get the idea. And I don't like Iron Man much either. I get the feeling Whedon would not have chosen to make him such a focal point if he'd had full control of the creative process from the beginning, but he didn't, he was stuck with the story Marvel had already outlined. That won't be the case for the sequel, so the sequel should be loads better story-wise. As it was, I thought Whedon did a good job making Iron Man seem less of an annoying jerk than in the two actual Iron Man films.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Thomas Newman - The Shawshank Redemption

God, where was I all these years?! Beautiful score. It's my first listen. I still think that Angels in America is still his best theme. But this, well, it's a beauty hands down.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thomas Newman - The Shawshank Redemption

God, where was I all these years?! Beautiful score. It's my first listen. I still think that Angels in America is still his best theme. But this, well, it's a beauty hands down.

First listen? To me it's his very best score. Have you seen the film?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Yes, a few times, but I have to rewatch it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh, and THE AVENGERS...... love punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk love
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Demetris wrote

How much of the other characters you actually saw being developed?

Their characters were aready established due to the preceding films. What Whedon did so well is develop their relationships with each other (a point I probably should have emphasized above). That's what worked so well in The Avengers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What relationships? It was an IRON MAN 3 movie with the others just running behind him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I did enjoy The Avengers, certainly, as superior popcorn fare, but I agree with D.: there's nothing in there on any 'deeper' level, psychologically, emotionally, narratively or relationshipwise.

It's a good super hero flick.
    That's it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Well, we were never going to have complex 20 minute sit downs between Thor and Nick Fury full of implications that Thor wishes he could have had a father figure more like Nick than Odin, or stuffs like that. This is a comic book film in the truest sense of the concept, not meant to be like these "realistic" adaptations like Nolan Batman (which I love too). Avengers is exactly like a real comic book with all the cells turned into live action. It just happens to be a well written one too. For a comic book. Never going to compete with a proper, character driven movie. It's an ensemble cast too. Ensemble casts are hard to do proper relationships and character development. We don't really find out much about Merry and Pippin's relationship, nothing at all about Legolas and Gimli beyond their racist jokes. But yes, Frodo and Sam make better protagonists than Iron Man and Captain America :P
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    My thoughts on the matter:

-Black Widow and Hawkeye's relationship was very well scripted and developed considering it was a nearly meaningless sideshow in a film that's not primarily about them.

-Dialogue-driven scenes like the verbal showdown between Loki and Black Widow are what make the film stand out on a character-development level. They are tight, well-written (unless you just don't get Whedon's unique way of writing, which is fine, I know its not for everyone) and honestly, in how many action movies do you get to see 3-5 minutes of the villain and a minor female character pouring out their souls to each other? Its the little things.

-I thought this film did a better job of developing Bruce Banner/Hulk's character than either of the previous two actual Hulk films. In those, he was just Generic Sad Angsty Man. In this one, he was actually interesting. Ruffalo's acting was brilliant, the nude scene as well as the "puny god" scene were priceless humor, and its rare to see more character insight/development accomplished with one line of dialogue than his "I'm always angry" moment.

I could keep going but you get the idea. And I don't like Iron Man much either. I get the feeling Whedon would not have chosen to make him such a focal point if he'd had full control of the creative process from the beginning, but he didn't, he was stuck with the story Marvel had already outlined. That won't be the case for the sequel, so the sequel should be loads better story-wise. As it was, I thought Whedon did a good job making Iron Man seem less of an annoying jerk than in the two actual Iron Man films.

yeah

Demetris wrote
    It was an IRON MAN 3 movie with the others just running behind him.

Wrong!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    What relationships? It was an IRON MAN 3 movie with the others just running behind him.

I loved THE AVENGERS, I honestly can't remember the last time I had so much fun watching a movie. Iron Man ( and THE HULK ) did steal the show but I thought all the characters got a good look in.

p.s. it most definitely WASN'T an IRON MAN 3 movie tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Shawshank Redemption - Thomas Newman

I don't think I need to explain how great it is?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I did enjoy The Avengers, certainly, as superior popcorn fare, but I agree with D.: there's nothing in there on any 'deeper' level, psychologically, emotionally, narratively or relationshipwise.

That's it.

It's the best super hero flick I've ever seen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Scribe wrote
    Well, we were never going to have complex 20 minute sit downs between Thor and Nick Fury full of implications that Thor wishes he could have had a father figure more like Nick than Odin, or stuffs like that.

Try the source material (Marvel's Ultimate Universe) which, besides epic battles, gives us *exactly* that.
    My joy of seeing comics 'grow up' is severely hampered by movies dumbing 'em down again.
    I had hoped Nolan's Batman and Snyder's Watchmen would have given the super hero movies the same kind of kick up the backside Miller's Batman and Moore's Watchmen did for the super hero comics, but alas...no such luck just yet.

Oh well.
    At least it certainly wasn't a bad movie by any means! punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

I wouldn't say that but it was a lot of fun!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

That's it.

Not even close.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

That's it.

Not even close.

Hmmm?

THE DARK KNIGHT, liked it but dare I say I also found it tedious, watching it again only recently I found it boring at times but would spark into life every now and then, especially when Heath Ledger is on screen. Bale growling away as Batman irritated me also plus the score is shit.

THE WATCHMEN, I think we're both in agreement that this was a very good and criminally underrated adaptation of the graphic novel. Great cast and exceptionally well realised.

SUPERMAN, this is the MAIN contender for best superhero movie, again a brilliant cast, a score that is so far beyond all other superhero scores, the film also has something lacking in most others and that is a BIG HEART.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    ...the film also has something lacking in most others and that is a BIG HEART.

punk
    It needed to be said, and you did it!
  3. Steven wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Demetris wrote

If you like Joss' work there and superheros, I strongly suggested ordering his run on the comic book series The Astonishing X-Men.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Miya wrote
    lp wrote
    NP: Black Rain - Hans Zimmer
    The Asian instrumentation is quite similar to his work with Ryuichi Sakamoto on The Last Emperor. One of my favorite, of course, which does include David Byrne's contributions.

I think it's more similar to Sakamoto's Merry Chrisitmas Mr. Lawrence, rather than The Last Emperor.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkWjsT_SJNI

Hisaishi's The Paths of Wind from My Neighbour Totoro also has a bit of similarity, and both pieces are (almost) everyone's favorite in Japan biggrin
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RfXJjhgiCM

NP: Totoro!

You have a point. Though it was Mr Lawrence that got Ryuichi the Emperor job. But if you hear the whole Ryuichi contribution, you hear the similarity extend beyond the famous track.