• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2012
    NP: Pride and Prejudice ~ Dario Marianelli

One of my favourite books combined with one of my favourite composers. I'm in love yet again... lost... lost deeply in music. There I wish to stay, found by no one.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2012
    Someday soon when I have my brain working the way I want, I hope to be able to get lost like that again...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. The Flowers of War - Qigang Chen

This score contains some of the most aching solo violin I've ever heard. Yes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2012
    Stavroula wrote
    NP: Pride and Prejudice ~ Dario Marianelli

One of my favourite books combined with one of my favourite composers. I'm in love yet again... lost... lost deeply in music. There I wish to stay, found by no one.

That's very romantic Stavi, I understand that.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. NP: Solaris (Artemyev)

The strangest dream.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2012 edited
    NP : BODY HEAT - John Barry

What a superb release from FSM, the theme ( yes, it does appear a lot in various guises ) is one of Barry's very best and considering the multitude of great themes the man has written that's saying something, it's on that high pedestal along with the likes of Taxi Driver and Chinatown.

"...it was sinful sounding, lustful music" - pianist Mike Lang

p.s. this release also reminded me that this is much better than the Joel McNeely re-recording ( which I should add that I do like ), for a composer who writes music that should be easy to play I'm always staggered by how "wrong" they get it in recreations of his scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2012 edited
    NP: Le Nez Dans Ruisseau - Julien Painot

After the assault on the senses that is Paul Leonard-Morgan's Dredd, I have turned to a film and composer I know nothing about. Save that the composer has written some beautiful music for this Swiss/French drama.

A delicate and sensitive score written mainly for piano and strings, this is a wonderful tonic and I would heartily recommend that people take a listen to the clips HERE.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote

After the assault on the senses that is Paul Leonard-Morgan's Dredd.

biggrin punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Demetris wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

After the assault on the senses that is Paul Leonard-Morgan's Dredd.

biggrin punk

I thought that you would like that D!

But please take a listen to the clips I've linked to...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. A SINGLE MAN - Abel Korzenkiowski

I bought this at the same time I bought W.E. I was initially more impressed with W.E., but with time this has grown on me more and W.E. has grown...off me (you know what I mean). W.E. still has the best highlights, imo, but as a whole is not as strong an album as this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote
    A SINGLE MAN - Abel Korzenkiowski

I bought this at the same time I bought W.E. I was initially more impressed with W.E., but with time this has grown on me more and W.E. has grown...off me (you know what I mean). W.E. still has the best highlights, imo, but as a whole is not as strong an album as this one.

He's one of the most gifted composers working today. He has such an impressive melodic Vision.
  5. Agreed. I really enjoy COPERNICUS STAR as well. I've heard great things about BATTLE FOR TERRA, though that still hasn't had a proper release, right? I look forward to whatever he writes next. I think he has a very promising career ahead of him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Battle for Terra has some very impressive brass work.
  6. THE WATER HORSE - James Newton Howard

This is some solid scoring here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2012
    christopher wrote
    THE WATER HORSE - James Newton Howard

This is some solid scoring here.

Indeed. If only he could drop the friggin Zimmerisms that so don't suit him and get back to the style he so knows how to do well!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Expendables 2 Brian Tyler

I must admit, I'm quite fond of Tyler. You get exactly what you expect.

I think I appreciate the technical aspects of Tyler's scores more than anything, i.e. the sound. If you've got a decent speaker/headphone set up, his scores are good ways of testing them!
  7. Because there isn't really anything else biggrin Tyler is one of the worst theme writers working in the industry right now and he's very derivative of other composers. I would enjoy his rather brainless music much more if he was better in the melody department.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    The Expendables 2 Brian Tyler

I must admit, I'm quite fond of Tyler. You get exactly what you expect.

I think I appreciate the technical aspects of Tyler's scores more than anything, i.e. the sound. If you've got a decent speaker/headphone set up, his scores are good ways of testing them!

I've seen the movie and had HUGE brainless fun, a lot of laughs too, especially when Chuck Norris is on screen the whole cinema was cheering laughing and applauding! The score fits the movie perfectly. Have you heard his recent electronic ambient score, BRAKE? That one makes for a very nice late night listen too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Because there isn't really anything else biggrin Tyler is one of the worst theme writers working in the industry right now and he's very derivative of other composers. I would enjoy his rather brainless music much more if he was better in the melody department.

I am sorry but this is bullcrap. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2012 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Because there isn't really anything else biggrin Tyler is one of the worst theme writers working in the industry right now and he's very derivative of other composers. I would enjoy his rather brainless music much more if he was better in the melody department.

I agree. Tyler doesn't write particularly good themes.
  8. John Barry - Onward Christian Spacemen

I don't know or remember the exact story of this track, but Barry wrote (arranged?) it specially for Ridley Scott's short subject Boy and Bicycle. It's a nice playful piece from him and it works really nicely in the film which I saw on Youtube recently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote

Er, what? shocked
    For the majority of Tyler's scores I find the sound horribly pinched and dull and the dynamic range completely destroyed. I was just listening to a track from Modern Warfare 3 and thinking how much better it would sound if it wasn't so hard to pick out each group of instruments within the wall of noise.

I've always found that Williams scores shine through hi-fi equipment better than almost any other composer's, for some reason. I'm talking purely audio quality here.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, nevermind MW3 it was a game and had special audio needs. Most game scores are mastered like this. Listen to this Expendables 2 on a good system from a lossless source. It's got a pretty natural dynamic range and clear mixing.
  9. It's not the mixing, Matt. Tyler's mixes are much better than what Zimmer does for example, it's that the music is written in such a busy way., which could work, but it really doesn't.

And Demetris, it isn't bullshit, all Tyler has is technical proficiency. Lack of melodic talent at all (even Lazarus Project is tired and trite and that's one of his best themes), totally derivative character of the music (his best action themes are Zimmer rip-offs, oh and underscore in Lazarus Project is pure Thomas Newman rip-off).

The guy could make a decent orchestrator for someone, but the fact that he gets major movies is only more proof that the producers in Hollywood are deaf. I wish the guy a Terrence Malick treatment or a high-profile brutal firing, like it happened with The Exorcist, when Schifrin's sheet music was literally thrown out the window during recording sessions... Maybe then he'd show some talent, which people think he has.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He is not ripping Zimmer off. He's influenced by his older style (Zimmer doesn't write as such anymore, he's into electronica-based synth scores with little orchestral elements) and he's turned that into a very distinct and recognizable style; the one so many accuse him of repeating all the time. But i find very clever uses of melodies and hidden melodies in stuff like Brake, Rambo, Dragonball Evolution had great themes, Killing Room, etc, not to mention his older stuff like Annapolis and Children of Dune 'cause they weren't so original. You have a weird case against him man, just like the ones observed by the fanatic anti-Zimmer camp you're so against.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    We should have a separate forum dedicated to Zimmer. One thread doesn't seem to be enough.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2012 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    John Barry - Onward Christian Spacemen

I don't know or remember the exact story of this track, but Barry wrote (arranged?) it specially for Ridley Scott's short subject Boy and Bicycle. It's a nice playful piece from him and it works really nicely in the film which I saw on Youtube recently.

It's a pre-existing non-film theme Barry wrote and yes, he arranged it for Ridley's film. There's a story about this somewhere but I can't remember it? Apparantly Barry and Scott got on very well together and yet Barry never scored a film for him, only composing the music for a 1992 Kodak commercial for the Olympics, it was originally stated that Barry was going to score 1492 CONQUEST OF PARADISE, I don't know what happened there? Ridley got fond of his Vangelis temp tracks maybe? wink
  10. I've heard that it was Zimmer who was slated to score 1492.

And Barry was better off not scoring for Ridley... He'd get the Goldsmith treatment. Ridley is and was after a very specific sound, Vangelis got it, Hans got it, Goldsmith could too, if you compare the original and the final main title from Alien. The final piece has the pure "Ridley Scott" sound, really.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I heard nothing about Zimmer supposedly being offered it, film music magazines at the time had John Barry slated to score it. I believe you're right to suggest Barry was better off not scoring it, it's still a shame though as it's the kind of picture Barry would have nailed.

By the way, here's the John Barry scored Ridley Scott commercial...

1992 OLYMPICS

I think it's lovely, very Dances With Wolves-ish.
  11. In my opinion, saying Tyler has no melodic talent says more about the opinion-givers general dislike for Tyler as a composer regardless of the music he composes. Or they have a different definition of a melody than most other people.