• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Demetris wrote
    I didn't enjoy it either until "Someone is watching" and beyond. Interested to hear your views again if you listen carefully from that point onwards when you're in the mood. Skip the first part.

I will do that. Thanks for the prod to revisit it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2012
    Anna's theme gets quite promiment too from that point onwards and with repeated listens.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Thomas Newman - Angels in America

I need to watch the miniseries. The music is as close to perfection as it gets.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thomas Newman - Angels in America

Agree!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thomas Newman - Angels in America

I agree that it's a lovely score and one of Newman's most enjoyable albums, but why is it "as close to perfection as it gets"?

I think people at this board make some wildly OTT claims at times, and yes I include myself.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DARIO MARIANELLI - Anna Karenina

It's absolutely gorgeous from its middle and up to the end of the 2nd half and this is no wildly ott claim smile
  3. The whole thematic backdrop, everybody is talking about The Bad Death of Eugene Delacroix and this one has even better horror/dramatic cues (I don't remember track titles at the moment, because I was reading while listening), the main title is to me the singularly best THomas Newman piece ever written. As fantastic as Shawshank Redemption is, this is my all-time favourite Newman. Every part of his style, the quirkiness of works around American Beauty and the orchestral majesty of his early work is combined into a very nice and beautiful package.

I should buy it... This and Road to Perdition. (I own only American Beauty).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Agree, Pawel. I think it's Newman's finest hour, and the best film version of any Stephen King novel to date.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. But I'm actually talking about Angels in America. I love the King adaptations and his scores for them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2012 edited
    AH, I was thrown off by your mention of The Bad Death of Eugene Delacroix.
    I do enjoy Angels In America (one of the oddest things I've seen on TV, by the way. And that's certainly not meant in a bad way!), and I think it's one of the best main themes Newman has written...but overall I find the score is too long and it overstays its welcome with me.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Agree, Pawel. I think it's Newman's finest hour, and the best film version of any Stephen King novel to date.

And I agree with this!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : AGNES OF GOD - Georges Delerue

THE BEST FILM SCORE EVER! *
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    *...to a film called Agnes of God and starring Jane Fonda.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

And I agree with this!

Really?
    I thought you were a Shawshank Redemption man. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

And I agree with this!

Really?
    I thought you were a Shawshank Redemption man. smile

Ooop! My turn to get it wrong. shame

Still, Green Mile is only the tiniest shade behind Shawshank for me, both are truly great films.

p.s. I think the best King adaptations are Shawshank and Stand By Me ( The Body ), I don't have an opinion on Green Mile as I never read it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh! How could I forget Stand By Me!!
    Truly, truly excellent film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Oh! How could I forget Stand By Me!!
    Truly, truly excellent film.

I could watch it time and time again, a truly beautiful, touching film and what a great cast, the best ensemble of child actors I've ever witnessed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Alexandre Desplat

I could describe these scores with quite a few superlatives. I've grown rather fond of these scores (and by extension, Desplat).
  5. Just finished

Danny Elfman - Standard Operating Procedure

Probably the best Philip Glass score that he didn't write.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Alexandre Desplat

I could describe these scores with quite a few superlatives. I've grown rather fond of these scores (and by extension, Desplat).

I approve of this post.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : BODY HEAT - John Barry

What a superb release from FSM, the theme ( yes, it does appear a lot in various guises ) is one of Barry's very best and considering the multitude of great themes the man has written that's saying something, it's on that high pedestal along with the likes of Taxi Driver and Chinatown.

"...it was sinful sounding, lustful music" - pianist Mike Lang

p.s. this release also reminded me that this is much better than the Joel McNeely re-recording ( which I should add that I do like ), for a composer who writes music that should be easy to play I'm always staggered by how "wrong" they get it in recreations of his scores.

NP : BODY HEAT - John Barry

Really enjoying this ( all over again for me ), this is another contender for a 'perfect film score' and makes a great stand alone listen too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : LOW - David Bowie & Brian Eno

love

So, who can tell me why I feel it's applicable as to why I can post this Bowie album, part of his "Berlin Trilogy" here?
  6. Didn't Bowie write it originally for a film?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. PawelStroinski wrote
    The whole thematic backdrop, everybody is talking about The Bad Death of Eugene Delacroix and this one has even better horror/dramatic cues (I don't remember track titles at the moment, because I was reading while listening), the main title is to me the singularly best THomas Newman piece ever written. As fantastic as Shawshank Redemption is, this is my all-time favourite Newman. Every part of his style, the quirkiness of works around American Beauty and the orchestral majesty of his early work is combined into a very nice and beautiful package.

I should buy it... This and Road to Perdition. (I own only American Beauty).

I think you're referring to "Her Fabulous Incipience" and "Black Angel." The latter is especially horrifying.
  8. NP: Léon - Eric Serra

There are some mesmerising tracks on this album. I don't think that the score again reaches the heights of "Noon" but the weirdly beautiful "Ballad For Mathilda" comes close.
  9. NP: Songs of the Sea: The Regatta Suite - Jeff Rona

Rona must have been so inspired by this because some of this is like nothing else I have heard from him. "Great Journey" is simply awesome!!

shocked
  10. DAYS OF HEAVEN - Morricone

There is just something about this score that I don't like. I can't even tell you what it is, but most of this is just okay for me. Maybe it's that the music is so austere? I'm not even sure that's the word I want.

I know some of you love it, and so probably think I'm nuts, but it doesn't do much for me.

And playing through the full two discs of the new release is a daunting task.

I think I prefer the extended presentation on the second disc to the original from the first, though. There's more beauty there to break up all the heaviness.

I really hate "The Fire."

That is all.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2012
    NP : X-MEN 3 : THE LAST STAND - John Powell

Good stuff, one of the better modern superhero scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Medal of Honor - Michael Giacchino

Oh hell yeah! Giacchino's best score and one of my top ten scores of all time!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Medal of Honor - Michael Giacchino

Oh hell yeah! Giacchino's best score and one of my top ten scores of all time!

-Erik-

Well clear that space up 'cause Ramin Djawadi and the Mike Shinoda dude from Linkin Park are making a new best MOH score.......... wink