• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Is there a list somewhere of ALL the music that John Williams wrote for the Olympics?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2012 edited
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Is there a list somewhere of ALL the music that John Williams wrote for the Olympics?

I can provide one for you:

Call of the Champions
    Composed in late 2001 for the Salt Lake City winter Olympic Games of 2002

Summon the Heroes
    Composed in 1995 for the Centennial Olympic Games in Atlanta, 1996.

Olympic Spirit (NBC Sports Theme)
    Comissioned by NBC for the Seoul Olympic games broadcast in 1988

“We’re Lookin’ Good!”
    Composed in 1987 for the Special Olympics

Olympic Fanfare and Theme
    Composed for the 1984 Summer Olympic Games in Los Angeles

...and while not exactly Olympics, there's also other sports things:

Fanfare for Fenway
    3-minute piece composed in celebration of the 100th anniversary of Fenway Park
    Premiered on April 20, 2012 at Fenway Park in Boston

Winter Games Fanfare
    Composed in 1989 for the Alpine Ski Championship, Vail, Colorado

I have all of these, and they're wonderful!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Cool! So it's available! Where can you get this music?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Symphony-Of-Bri … B008U7JREK

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/sympho … d552627020
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2012
    Thor wrote

Fanfare for Fenway

Winter Games Fanfare

Don't forget his theme for Sunday Night Football.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sJcVo1qruY

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

Fanfare for Fenway

Winter Games Fanfare

Don't forget his theme for Sunday Night Football.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sJcVo1qruY

-Erik-

Ah yes, that's true. I have that too. It's a funny theme coz it sounds like the theme is 'singing' "It's Sunday Night Football". smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Cool! So it's available! Where can you get this music?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Symphony-Of-Bri … B008U7JREK

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/sympho … d552627020

Yeah, it was available on iTunes just when it happen.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE - John Williams

Pretty average score for Williams but the theme is FANTASTIC!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The 13th Warrior - Jerry Goldsmith

Brilliant. Great theme, spectacular action music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : EARTHQUAKE - John Williams

Another average-ish Williams score but a far more enjoyable listen than Poseidon Adventure with some great memorable tracks like the funky Miles on Wheels and yet another FANTASTIC main theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Unbreakable - James Newton Howard

Superb score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Cristian wrote
    Unbreakable - James Newton Howard

Superb score.

Couldn't agree more.

Southall wrote

Couldn't agree more.

Fantastic choices.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. Southall wrote

A great score, I've been listening to a lot of Goldsmith's final ten years worth of output recently and he really was writing brilliant stuff right to the very end. I think he really mastered the seamless integration of electronics with 'Star Trek: Nemesis' and 'Timeline', to me his final two masterpieces.
  3. Just finished RICKY by Philippe Rombi. I'm not used to such bleak music coming from Rombi. Not at all like the previous scores of his that I've loved. It showed me that he can do more than gloriously beautiful and thematic music, but I prefer ANGEL, UN HOMME..., and MERRY CHRISTMAS.

NP: theme from UNE HIRONDELL A FAIT LE PRINTEMPS - Rombi. This is lovely. Is this any indication of what the rest of the score is like?
  4. John Chambers wrote
    Southall wrote

A great score, I've been listening to a lot of Goldsmith's final ten years worth of output recently and he really was writing brilliant stuff right to the very end. I think he really mastered the seamless integration of electronics with 'Star Trek: Nemesis' and 'Timeline', to me his final two masterpieces.

Okay, but I would rate The Mummy higher than The 13th Warrior. I always get a kick out of the action music from the former + the themes are just mindblowingly good!

Nemesis and Timeline masterpieces? Surely you must be kidding? shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    christopher wrote
    Just finished RICKY by Philippe Rombi. I'm not used to such bleak music coming from Rombi. Not at all like the previous scores of his that I've loved. It showed me that he can do more than gloriously beautiful and thematic music, but I prefer ANGEL, UN HOMME..., and MERRY CHRISTMAS.

NP: theme from UNE HIRONDELL A FAIT LE PRINTEMPS - Rombi. This is lovely. Is this any indication of what the rest of the score is like?

Yes. The whole album is gorgeous.
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    John Chambers wrote
    Southall wrote

Okay, but I would rate The Mummy higher than The 13th Warrior. I always get a kick out of the action music from the former + the themes are just mindblowingly good!

Nemesis would be in my top 5 Goldsmith's actually, I find it an intoxicating listen and it never gets old to me. I know no one agrees with me, but that's okay.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I hardly ever play NEMESIS, maybe I should give it a re-evaluation?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: VARESE'S 30th ANNIVERSARY SAMPLER (various)

So many great themes on this 3CD set, only a very, very few of which I previously owned.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Jerry Goldsmith - The Ghost and the Darkness

Trying to recall this score, I remember it being amazing, but haven't listened to it for a *very* long time.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith - The Ghost and the Darkness

Trying to recall this score, I remember it being amazing, but haven't listened to it for a *very* long time.

It IS very good and it's also missing some great tracks from the film.
  7. I guess there will be an expanded edition one day.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Brave - Patrick Doyle
    Cheers Patrick! Another fantastic score. I happen to love Celtic elements so I am right at home here. And I don't think I've ever heard a Doyle score I didn't enjoy. There are precious few composers I can say that about.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    John Chambers wrote
    Southall wrote

Okay, let me take it to a new level:

"The 13th warrior" is not brilliant. The theme is not great, in fact it's forgettable. And the action music is not spectacular. Any of us here (well, sans the few of you about to deny this last sentence) could easily name a dozen Goldsmith scores with spectacular action material.

And "Star Trek: Nemesis" and "Timeline" are, essentially, skippers once you've heard each once.

So there.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    Any of us here (well, sans the few of you about to deny this last sentence) could easily name a dozen Goldsmith scores with spoectacular action material.

I'll start... The 13th Warrior!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    shocked

Holy Sweet Jesus! "The Mirrors" (and its superior, alternate version) from Intrada's new expanded release of The Shadow is mind-blowing! For those against expanded editions are most definitely missing out on an Jerry Goldsmith action gem!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Any of us here (well, sans the few of you about to deny this last sentence) could easily name a dozen Goldsmith scores with spoectacular action material.

-Erik-

biggrin applause

To be honest though, I actually agree with Justin, I'm afraid 13th Warrior doesn't really grab me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    justin boggan wrote

-Erik-

Yes, that's definitely one. In fact I could probably name many dozens of Goldsmith scores with spectacular action material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    justin boggan wrote

I'm obviously not the biggest Goldsmith fan here but even I can't disagree with this, and I'm fairly certain I have enough Goldsmith scores to start naming things...I've always loved the power-anthemy action parts of Mulan, and for some reason I really like the chaotic brass fanfares of King Solomon's Mines...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  9. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    justin boggan wrote

-Erik-

biggrin applause

To be honest though, I actually agree with Justin, I'm afraid 13th Warrior doesn't really grab me.

Though I didn't like "First Knight" either, I'd say it's better. Just for comparrison. Oh, and Revell's rejected score "The 13th warrior" is far, far better.

Never really formed an opinion on "The Mummy". I did on the movie: crap.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    justin boggan wrote
    Though I didn't like "First Knight" either, I'd say it's better. Just for comparrison. Oh, and Revell's rejected score "The 13th warrior" is far, far better.

It's Revell's best music, I think, but that's not saying a great deal.