• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Oddly enough, I'd say almost all of Revell's best scores are unreleased, or under represented on CD.

Instead we get the sound scapes and crap nobody and their grandma asked for, like "The Fog" and "Assault on Precinct 13".

I'm happy to see, though, looking over his IMDB resume again, that recently the next Riddick film has been added; it wasn't there about a couple weeks ago.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2012
    Revell is a great composer. If he only had done DEAD CALM and THE CROW, his legacy would already have been secured. Fortunately for us, there are many more gems on his resume. I'm very fascinated by his early work with industrial band SPK too.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. A problem for me, though, is that even his top shelf scores never bring him to even the second teir composers. And even with his very best scores, there's still no "Back to the Future", no "Superman", no "Rudy", etc. -- classic score.

I've not been able to figure out why that is, though I got loose theories.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    justin boggan wrote
    A problem for me, though, is that even his top shelf scores never bring him to even the second teir composers. And even with his very best scores, there's still no "Back to the Future", no "Superman", no "Rudy", etc. -- classic score.

Because he's not as talented as the people who wrote those scores? I know that's a wild theory, but still...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    justin boggan wrote
    Oh, and Revell's rejected score "The 13th warrior" is far, far better.

I'll take that as a joke. A good one, I admit smile
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2012
    NP: The Bourne Legacy - James Newton Howard

First full listen today. There are some excellent action tracks through out the running time, but the lack of thematic elements (compared to John Powell's Bourne work) make it all feel very anonymous and perfunctory.
  3. Marselus wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Oh, and Revell's rejected score "The 13th warrior" is far, far better.

I'll take that as a joke. A good one, I admit smile

"Yes" meaning "No".
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2012 edited
    Well, honestly I only heard Revell's score once, maybe I missed something there?

But I find Goldsmith's one of his best (action) score of the nineties, and one of my favourites by him.
  4. My personal opinion, but "Small Soldiers" and "Star Trek: Insurrection" are far better than that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Well, I love those two as well. When it comes to Goldsmith, I'm afraid there's nothoing I don't like. Well, almost.. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Total Recall - Jerry Goldsmith

If the score for the remake has one good aspect, it's that it's inspired me to rediscover this audacious score. Goldsmith reinvented himself for the last time here, with some of the most effective and exciting action music anyone's ever written but also that magnificent quasi-religious material. "The Mutant" is one of his single finest pieces.
  5. LOVE ME IF YOU DARE - Philippe Rombi

This is really great. Maybe not quite on the level of his very finest scores, but very close. Beautiful stuff.
  6. Thor wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Is there a list somewhere of ALL the music that John Williams wrote for the Olympics?

I can provide one for you:

Call of the Champions
    Composed in late 2001 for the Salt Lake City winter Olympic Games of 2002

Summon the Heroes
    Composed in 1995 for the Centennial Olympic Games in Atlanta, 1996.

Olympic Spirit (NBC Sports Theme)
    Comissioned by NBC for the Seoul Olympic games broadcast in 1988

“We’re Lookin’ Good!”
    Composed in 1987 for the Special Olympics

Olympic Fanfare and Theme
    Composed for the 1984 Summer Olympic Games in Los Angeles

I have all of these, and they're wonderful!

I've heard all of those except "We're Lookin' Good!". There's not even a YouTube video; where can I find it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    A problem for me, though, is that even his top shelf scores never bring him to even the second teir composers. And even with his very best scores, there's still no "Back to the Future", no "Superman", no "Rudy", etc. -- classic score.

Because he's not as talented as the people who wrote those scores? I know that's a wild theory, but still...

No, more because his style differs from those composers (even though he has whipped up a good melodic -- more traditional -- score once in a while too, like TITAN A.E. or LARA CROFT).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Thor wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Is there a list somewhere of ALL the music that John Williams wrote for the Olympics?

I can provide one for you:

Call of the Champions
    Composed in late 2001 for the Salt Lake City winter Olympic Games of 2002

Summon the Heroes
    Composed in 1995 for the Centennial Olympic Games in Atlanta, 1996.

Olympic Spirit (NBC Sports Theme)
    Comissioned by NBC for the Seoul Olympic games broadcast in 1988

“We’re Lookin’ Good!”
    Composed in 1987 for the Special Olympics

Olympic Fanfare and Theme
    Composed for the 1984 Summer Olympic Games in Los Angeles

I have all of these, and they're wonderful!

I've heard all of those except "We're Lookin' Good!". There's not even a YouTube video; where can I find it?

It's only available in (crappy-sounding) bootleg format as of now.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    shocked

Holy Sweet Jesus! "The Mirrors" (and its superior, alternate version) from Intrada's new expanded release of The Shadow is mind-blowing! For those against expanded editions are most definitely missing out on an Jerry Goldsmith action gem!

-Erik-

I've yet to hear it, but I still remember how it blew my mind in the film, it will surely do that once I listen to it in full cool
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  8. Southall wrote

If the score for the remake has one good aspect, it's that it's inspired me to rediscover this audacious score. Goldsmith reinvented himself for the last time here, with some of the most effective and exciting action music anyone's ever written but also that magnificent quasi-religious material. "The Mutant" is one of his single finest pieces.

we saw the film on blu-ray this weekend, it sounded awesome cool
    fuck the remake, hooray to the original
  9. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote

To have the horrendous Brian Tyler logo, immediately followed by Jerry's main title is like the biggest leap in writing quality I've ever heard.

And yes, the remake looks to be a lot less entertaining than the original is.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote

To have the horrendous Brian Tyler logo, immediately followed by Jerry's main title is like the biggest leap in writing quality I've ever heard.

I'm sorry... doesn't the original Total Recall film start with the Tri-Star logo (with music) and then Jerry's music begins with the Carolco logo?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Gonna be doing something interesting today. I was flipping through my Making of Star Wars book and came upon a paragraph dealing with the musical temp track Geroge Lucas used for the film. Some of this is common knowledge but I was surprised to read that they used Rozsa's Ivanhoe for the Main Title. They also sourced music from Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring, Dvorak's New World Symphony (Throne Room and End Title) and Bruckner's Symphony No.9 for Luke's Theme. So, I thought I'd listen to all four works today starting with The Rite of Spring featuring conductor Leonard Bernstein and the London Symphony Orchestra.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  10. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote

I'm sorry... doesn't the original Total Recall film start with the Tri-Star logo (with music) and then Jerry's music begins with the Carolco logo?

-Erik-

it was first the new universal logo, then the tri star and then the carolco
    the new Brian Tyler logo was specifically added for the attention of 100 years Universal (considering we got a 3 minute celebration scene before the menu popped up)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    face-palm-mt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Gonna be doing something interesting today. I was flipping through my Making of Star Wars book and came upon a paragraph dealing with the musical temp track Geroge Lucas used for the film. Some of this is common knowledge but I was surprised to read that they used Rozsa's Ivanhoe for the Main Title. They also sourced music from Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring, Dvorak's New World Symphony (Throne Room and End Title) and Bruckner's Symphony No.9 for Luke's Theme. So, I thought I'd listen to all four works today starting with The Rite of Spring featuring conductor Leonard Bernstein and the London Symphony Orchestra.

-Erik-

There must have been some temp track loving because Stravinsky's influence remains in the film ( desert music / Jawas ). James Horner has either never heard of Stravinsky wink or he was listening to Williams STAR WARS for his score to BLACK GOLD ( The Blowing Sands ).
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    There must have been some temp track loving because Stravinsky's influence remains in the film ( desert music / Jawas ).

They mentioned the Jawas and the desert music specifically in the book when referencing Stravinsky.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Shadow - Jerry Goldsmith

One of my favorite all time Goldsmith score, next to Total Recall. So melodic and thematic and uniquely appropriate for the movie, which I also enjoy, if not as a guilty pleasure.
  11. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote

-Erik-

it was first the new universal logo, then the tri star and then the carolco
    the new Brian Tyler logo was specifically added for the attention of 100 years Universal (considering we got a 3 minute celebration scene before the menu popped up)

Yeah of course you are right bro, first the Tri Star music, and then the Carolco, which is also a short but excellent Goldsmith theme.

What movies was this in again, before they went bust? Total Recall, T2, what else? Was T2 the last Carolco film?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  12. wasn't cutthroat island the last carolco? tongue

In a radio interview in 2011, director Renny Harlin discussed the film's box-office failure. He pointed out that Carolco was already in ruin before Cutthroat Island even began shooting, but had to make the film since financing from foreign investors was already in place. MGM, the film's distributor, was in the process of being sold and thus could not devote itself into financing a marketing campaign for the film.[7] Carolco filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy a month before Cutthroat Island's release.[8]

I still can't believe that movie did poorly, it's non stop fun
  13. James Horner - Apollo 13

To honour the man's birthday.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    CutThroat is a guilty pleasure. Great photography, stunts, music, special effects and sound but the casting was all wrong (except for Frank Langella as Dawg) and the script blew chunks.

Here's is one of my all time favorite laughable moments of the movie!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote
    justin boggan wrote

No, more because his style differs from those composers (even though he has whipped up a good melodic -- more traditional -- score once in a while too, like TITAN A.E. or LARA CROFT).

I don't remember much in the way of melody or traditional scoring in Lara Croft! Never heard Titan AE.