• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2012
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    A problem for me, though, is that even his top shelf scores never bring him to even the second teir composers. And even with his very best scores, there's still no "Back to the Future", no "Superman", no "Rudy", etc. -- classic score.

I've not been able to figure out why that is, though I got loose theories.

Because he's not as talented as the people who wrote those scores? I know that's a wild theory, but still...

No, more because his style differs from those composers (even though he has whipped up a good melodic -- more traditional -- score once in a while too, like TITAN A.E. or LARA CROFT).

I don't remember much in the way of melody or traditional scoring in Lara Croft! Never heard Titan AE.

I guess LARA CROFT falls more in the 'traditional' category in that it uses a fair share of big, orchestral writing in addition to his wonderful textures (and some awesome percussive riffs). Some decent melody too, but don't expect James Horner or John Williams.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    CutThroat is a guilty pleasure. Great photography, stunts, music, special effects and sound but the casting was all wrong (except for Frank Langella as Dawg) and the script blew chunks.

Here's is one of my all time favorite laughable moments of the movie!

-Erik-

biggrin

The film is so rubbish it's fun! Harlin was directing with his cock.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    If you want to hear Revell in more "traditional" mode then have a listen to Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie! Excellent score! And Titan A.E. is fantastic as well.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2012 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    wasn't cutthroat island the last carolco? tongue

In a radio interview in 2011, director Renny Harlin discussed the film's box-office failure. He pointed out that Carolco was already in ruin before Cutthroat Island even began shooting, but had to make the film since financing from foreign investors was already in place. MGM, the film's distributor, was in the process of being sold and thus could not devote itself into financing a marketing campaign for the film.[7] Carolco filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy a month before Cutthroat Island's release.[8]

I still can't believe that movie did poorly, it's non stop fun

Yes, Cutthroat Island was the last one, the movie that ruined a production company... And I love this film!

Erik Woods wrote
    CutThroat is a guilty pleasure. Great photography, stunts, music, special effects and sound but the casting was all wrong (except for Frank Langella as Dawg) and the script blew chunks.

-Erik-

I ALWAYS burst out in laughing when Dawg gets that cannonball in the gut, flying through the back end of the ship. biggrin Say what you will about Cutthroat Island, the movie knows how to not take itself too seriously, which for me is the true quality of any good adventure film. And say what you will about Renny Harlin, but the guy knows how to shoot JAW-DROPPING EXPLOSIONS !!!!! beer

I think there's one in every film he does!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Total Recall - Harry Gregson-Williams

Ugh. Headache-inducing.
  1. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

biggrin

The film is so rubbish it's fun! Harlin was directing with his cock.

I'm pretty sure Geena Davis had to say it each evening in bed: BAD COCK wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote
    Total Recall - Harry Gregson-Williams

Ugh. Headache-inducing.

..but it picks up considerably as it goes along, as I discovered for the first time (my previous attempts to listen to the album all ended with me stopping it prematurely, so horrible is it for its first half).
  2. Thor wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Thor wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Is there a list somewhere of ALL the music that John Williams wrote for the Olympics?

I can provide one for you:

Call of the Champions
    Composed in late 2001 for the Salt Lake City winter Olympic Games of 2002

Summon the Heroes
    Composed in 1995 for the Centennial Olympic Games in Atlanta, 1996.

Olympic Spirit (NBC Sports Theme)
    Comissioned by NBC for the Seoul Olympic games broadcast in 1988

“We’re Lookin’ Good!”
    Composed in 1987 for the Special Olympics

Olympic Fanfare and Theme
    Composed for the 1984 Summer Olympic Games in Los Angeles

I have all of these, and they're wonderful!

I've heard all of those except "We're Lookin' Good!". There's not even a YouTube video; where can I find it?

It's only available in (crappy-sounding) bootleg format as of now.

There was a snippet of music that played during the beginning of every broadcast of the 2012 Olympics on NBC. For the life of me, I can't find out what it was or who composed it (presumably Williams). It sounds kind of like the 20th Century Fox fanfare, but in G-major.
  3. I've been listening to Craig Armstrong all day, discovering some new things.

LOVE, ACTUALLY - Not new to me. Extremely familiar in fact. This is happy exultant music that wears its heart on its sleeve. I really like it!

PLUNKETT AND MACLEANE - Really electronic given the time period, but I guess that's what Armstrong does often. I wasn't wild about this. It had some big moments (startlingly similar to big moments in ELIZABETH: THE GOLDEN AGE), but it's not one I'll return to.

ROMEO AND JULIET - No thanks. This score is all over the place, with dialogue everywhere. Just because the play is brilliant doesn't mean I want to hear it screamed by Leo over the top of the music. Also, the squealing tires, crashes, and gunshots mixed in with the score didn't help.

PIANO WORKS - This compilation is very subdued, and gets really old after not too long. The more of his music I discover, the less I like his body of work :/
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    There was a snippet of music that played during the beginning of every broadcast of the 2012 Olympics on NBC. For the life of me, I can't find out what it was or who composed it (presumably Williams). It sounds kind of like the 20th Century Fox fanfare, but in G-major.

'Bugler's Dream' with Williams 'Olympic Fanfare and Theme'

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. No, it wasn't that one, though I like that piece a lot. I'll keep looking.

Anyway, in honor of Horner's birthday, I'll be playing selections from my favorite scores of his. I'll start with Avatar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, here are the other Williams' pieces they would have used.

Olympic Spirit

Summon The Heroes

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Mummy - Jezza G

So enjoyable. The fact that he thought the film was crap and still came up with this speaks volumes for his professionalism (the fact that he stated publically that he thought the film was crap just after it had been released, perhaps less so!)
  5. It plays during the first 7-8 seconds of these two videos. I know the quality sucks and it's hard to pick out because of the noise but I think it sticks out.

London 2012
    NBC Olympics intro
  6. I listened to:

Brian Tyler - The Expendables 2

Will tell more after my second listen, but it might be close to my favourite album of his.

Now:

James Horner - The New World

Took me a while to realize how beautiful this album is. Great atmospheric piece, Horner didn't have enough of those at the moment. Great piano writing, beautiful atmosphere. I have to see the movie to see if it would have fit to Malick's vision.

But some exquisite music writing here. That's no contest. He probably was just the wrong composer for that director.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: RESTORATION (James Newton Howard)

One of my favourites by the man, especially how his material is interweaved by that of Purcell. Pure bliss!
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Southall wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    A problem for me, though, is that even his top shelf scores never bring him to even the second teir composers. And even with his very best scores, there's still no "Back to the Future", no "Superman", no "Rudy", etc. -- classic score.

I've not been able to figure out why that is, though I got loose theories.

Because he's not as talented as the people who wrote those scores? I know that's a wild theory, but still...

As certain stars align for other composers to break out and be unhindered early on, on what I've read, it seems all the planets have been aligned against Revell. It's not that he's untalented.

At the same time, though, he's no Jerry Goldsmith or Alan Silvestri.

And then, of course, on rare occassions, he'll write a theme and somebody else (uncredited) will do the score, or in one case (that I know of) he does nothing at all but still gets the credit. That certain doesn't help to establish you voice if you let somebody else's voice shine (don't ask for more details).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2012
    justin boggan wrote
    As certain stars align for other composers to break out and be unhindered early on, on what I've read, it seems all the planets have been aligned against Revell. It's not that he's untalented.

According to IMDB he's scored 107 films so I think it's fair to say that whatever talent he has is certainly out there.
  8. I mean aligned as to not really give him a good chance. But yes, 107 films is a good track record.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  9. Played snippets of Sneakers, The Perfect Storm, and now, The Spitfire Grill. Haven't listened to Spitfire in ages.
  10. NP: Renegades (Michael Kamen)

urghhh, not good at all
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  11. THE LOST WORLD - JOHN WILLIAMS

Brilliant score ! Ballsy action Williams' style! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm currently playing THIS!

A-W-E-S-O-M-E!

-Erik-
  12. Maciek Dobrowolski - Clockwise

Too long since I last listened to it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    A Royal Affair - Gabriel Yared and Cyrille Aufort

Very elegant, beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Is "Perfume" the only other score by those guys that are doing "Cloud Atlas" or are there others?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Is "Perfume" the only other score by those guys that are doing "Cloud Atlas" or are there others?

http://www.tomtykwer.com/Music/Soundtracks

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thanks, I couldn't remember their names...they were just, the 3 guys that did "Perfume"
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SYMPHONY # 7 'ANTARTICA' - Ralph Vaughan Williams

A great film score becomes a great symphony, those who know me know this is one of my all time favourite works, I've possibly listened to this more than I have for any other orchestral work.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Maciek Dobrowolski - Clockwise

Too long since I last listened to it.

Lovely isn't it?

Southall wrote
    A Royal Affair - Gabriel Yared and Cyrille Aufort

Very elegant, beautiful.

An excellent release!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.