• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2012 edited
    Timeline Jerry Goldsmith

I've always thought of this as a sequel score to The 13th Warrior. Doesn't have as strong a theme as that score, but the action material is just as enjoyable to my ears. Even the 'synth farts' are pleasing to my ears. I love this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2012
    NATHAN FURST - Act of Valor

Not bad.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Demetris wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE POSTMAN - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

Now this is good old James in his most inspired mode. The 90s were just his best period. FACT! cool

Love it, great score! Not a fan of the songs on the cd though.

I think I got through them only once. vomit
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    christopher wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I'd love to hear what you think of the symphony. it's a joy to be talking about something other than Tyler, Zimmer, Horner. wink

smile

I hate to tell you this, but I wasn't a big fan of it. I was excited to hear it, because I really like everything of RVW's that I've ever heard. There are moments of this I really liked (the huge climaxes in the first movement, the lovely strings toward the beginning of the 2nd mvt), but overall the symphony was too unsettling for my tastes. The symphony is great at projecting an air of dark mystery, and grand consequence, but I prefer his Rhapsody on a Theme of Thomas Tallis, or The Lark Ascending (which I discovered thanks to you), or his take on Greensleeves, or three other pieces I'm familiar with, though not by name. Still, I'm glad to have heard it. My familiarity with his body of work has just been greatly expanded. And if I ever got a chance to hear this performed live, I would take it. I think it would be really amazing live.

I always appreciate honesty Christopher beer

Yes it is a very dark work and I also know it isn't to everyones taste but I'm pleased you gave it a listen. I still recommend giving the actual ( rerecorded ) film score a listen, it's quite a different experience and even ends on a possitive theme ( which I believe was forced on the film makers to have a message of hope after such a downbeat ending ).

p.s. I'm pleased to have been instrumental in you discovering some of RVW's great works.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Demetris wrote

Not bad.

The worst film I have seen in a long while. It felt like you were supposed to watch it while eating a supersized McDonald's meal and randomly shouting "Murica!!!!" rolleyes
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. Timmer wrote
    christopher wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I'd love to hear what you think of the symphony. it's a joy to be talking about something other than Tyler, Zimmer, Horner. wink

smile

I hate to tell you this, but I wasn't a big fan of it. I was excited to hear it, because I really like everything of RVW's that I've ever heard. There are moments of this I really liked (the huge climaxes in the first movement, the lovely strings toward the beginning of the 2nd mvt), but overall the symphony was too unsettling for my tastes. The symphony is great at projecting an air of dark mystery, and grand consequence, but I prefer his Rhapsody on a Theme of Thomas Tallis, or The Lark Ascending (which I discovered thanks to you), or his take on Greensleeves, or three other pieces I'm familiar with, though not by name. Still, I'm glad to have heard it. My familiarity with his body of work has just been greatly expanded. And if I ever got a chance to hear this performed live, I would take it. I think it would be really amazing live.

Yes it is a very dark work and I also know it isn't to everyones taste but I'm pleased you gave it a listen. I still recommend giving the actual ( rerecorded ) film score a listen, it's quite a different experience and even ends on a possitive theme ( which I believe was forced on the film makers to have a message of hope after such a downbeat ending ).

p.s. I'm pleased to have been instrumental in you discovering some of RVW's great works.

You have done that with me either, I largely discovered RVW thanks to you.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Demetris wrote

Not bad.

The worst film I have seen in a long while. It felt like you were supposed to watch it while eating a supersized McDonald's meal and randomly shouting "Murica!!!!" rolleyes

Merica fuck yeah?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. James Newton Howard - Dinosaur

One of my all-time favourite animation scores. Very dramatic and mature, while retaining the adventurous and playful nature in other cues. Some beautiful themes there too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    christopher wrote
    Timmer wrote

smile

You have done that with me either, I largely discovered RVW thanks to you.

I think most of us have helped each other "discover" something at one time or another but it's always good to get possitive feedback beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    James Newton Howard - Dinosaur

One of my all-time favourite animation scores. Very dramatic and mature, while retaining the adventurous and playful nature in other cues. Some beautiful themes there too.

This is the JNH I love, superb score! I know everyone loves The Egg Travels ( me too ) but possibly my favourite track is Breakout, from about a minute onwards it's that poignant and rapturous build up just sends tingles down my spine. beautiful.
  4. My favourite moments are a very warm moment in The Inner Sanctum/Nesting Grounds and a dark tribal moment in Finding Water. If I ever make a sect movie in the future I'll use it as a temp-track
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    James Newton Howard's Disney trilogy of Dinosaur, Atlantis and Treasure Planet was such a rewarding and inspiring time of his career!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : 2001 - Alex North

This is the recording conducted by Jerry Goldsmith. I really have to be in the right mood to listen to this stuff but today my brain needs a cerebral bite to eat and North fits that bill nicely.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LE DEMON DE L'HIMALAYA - Arthur Honegger

In the form of two symphonic movements adapted from his score, fine music it is too, disquieting and even minimalistic and with that lovely mysterioso sound I like so much. The finale includes Ondes Martenot and choir. I guess this sort of counts as amongst the earliest film music I have.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    James Newton Howard's Disney trilogy of Dinosaur, Atlantis and Treasure Planet was such a rewarding and inspiring time of his career!

-Erik-

Of those, I only like Dinosaur.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Flesh + Blood - Poledouris

Magnificent. How did I miss the Intrada version?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MONSIGNOR - John Williams

Superb score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Of those, I only like Dinosaur.

That's too bad really. Both Atlantis and Treasure Planet are excellent!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Wild Rovers - Jerry Goldsmith

Exceptional. His most Coplandesque western score, and my favourite of his western scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Me too! It also contains one of my top three film music songs of all time. The Wild Rover sung by Ellen Smith.

-Erik-
  5. Jerry Goldsmith - Total Recall

Pure action brilliance. After a few days with Expendables 2, it feels refreshing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Me too! It also contains one of my top three film music songs of all time. The Wild Rover sung by Ellen Smith.

-Erik-

That's a nice song, I like it. What's your other two favourite film music songs*? You tell me yours and I'll tell you mine. wink

*by this I presume you mean a song written for the film? Not a pre-existing song.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    "Surrender" by k.d. lang and "Blaze of Glory" by Bon Jovi.

I also have a soft spot for Sting's "It's Probably Me" from Lethal Weapon 3, "What Would Brian Boitano Do?" from South Park: The Movie, "America" from Team America: World Police, "Danger Zone" from Top Gun and the Finding Home End Title song by Holly Conlan.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Now there's an interesting line of thought. "Town Without Pity" by Tiomkin (from the film of the same name) is a brilliant song, particularly the cover by Eddi Reader. I love some of the Barry/Bond songs, particularly "Diamonds Are Forever" and "We Have All the Time in the World". I won't list all the Randy Newman songs I think are great, since I think they're all great. Clearly this is a topic that I need to spend some enjoyable time thinking about.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    "Surrender" by k.d. lang and "Blaze of Glory" by Bon Jovi.

I also have a soft spot for Sting's "It's Probably Me" from Lethal Weapon 3, "What Would Brian Boitano Do?" from South Park: The Movie, "America" from Team America: World Police, "Danger Zone" from Top Gun and the Finding Home End Title song by Holly Conlan.

-Erik-

What!? No 'Your ZOWIE Face' from In Like Flint? shocked wink

Interesting. I only like three of those and that's Surrender and America and Finding Home. None of them would make my top 20.

My favourites in no particular order...

Moon River
    We Have All The Time In The World ( possibly my all time favourite )
    The Windmills of Your Mind
    You Only Live Twice
    Goldfinger
    Live And Let Die
    The Spy Who Loved Me
    Kiss Me, Kill Me, Thrill Me ( from one of the Batman films )
    The Look Of Love
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Now there's an interesting line of thought. "Town Without Pity" by Tiomkin (from the film of the same name) is a brilliant song, particularly the cover by Eddi Reader. I love some of the Barry/Bond songs, particularly "Diamonds Are Forever" and "We Have All the Time in the World". I won't list all the Randy Newman songs I think are great, since I think they're all great. Clearly this is a topic that I need to spend some enjoyable time thinking about.

I LIKE IT! Go for it... punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Dammit... I forgot two. "A View To A Kill" by Duran Duran and "Back In Time" by Huey Lewis and the News. Man, "Power of Love" is so good, too.

Man, maybe I so a film songs show... one day.

Timmer wrote
    My favourites in no particular order...

Moon River
    We Have All The Time In The World ( possibly my all time favourite )
    The Windmills of Your Mind
    You Only Live Twice
    Goldfinger
    Live And Let Die
    The Spy Who Loved Me
    Kiss Me, Kill Me, Thrill Me ( from one of the Batman films )
    The Look Of Love

I really like Kiss Me, Kill Me, Thrill Me. Live and Let Die is a bizzare tune (I hate the original version of it soooooo much so I always turn to Gn'R's remake) Moon River I can only take as an instrumental. I adore Diana Krall's version of The Look Of Love.

-Erik-
  6. The Avengers Silvestri

My favourite score of the year by far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Total Recall (Harry Gregson-Williams)

TERRIBE, just TERRIBLE.

And I'm being so generous...
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol