• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2012
    Marcel, wait till you hear Jnh's Bourne legacy !
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2012
    No way it can be worse than Total Recall. NO WAY.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. Surely one of the greatest of film songs... which managed to merge Horner-style lyrics with the emotional subtlety of CantoPop -- with a theme by bloody Tan Dun of all people -- ... was ever a song more deserving of its Oscar nomination?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tP5hknskAU

biggrin

I've also a soft spot for the fine song by that flavour of the 'Recent Viewing' thread, Franz Waxman for ANNE OF THE INDIES. (Sadly not online -- hard to believe.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2012 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Dammit... I forgot two. "A View To A Kill" by Duran Duran and "Back In Time" by Huey Lewis and the News. Man, "Power of Love" is so good, too.

Man, maybe I so a film songs show... one day.

Timmer wrote
    My favourites in no particular order...

Moon River
    We Have All The Time In The World ( possibly my all time favourite )
    The Windmills of Your Mind
    You Only Live Twice
    Goldfinger
    Live And Let Die
    The Spy Who Loved Me
    Kiss Me, Kill Me, Thrill Me ( from one of the Batman films )
    The Look Of Love

I really like Kiss Me, Kill Me, Thrill Me. Live and Let Die is a bizzare tune (I hate the original version of it soooooo much so I always turn to Gn'R's remake) Moon River I can only take as an instrumental. I adore Diana Krall's version of The Look Of Love.

-Erik-

Guns n' Roses? Yer shittin' me? vomit

Krall over Dusty... yer fookin' mental!

tongue

Kudos for The Power of Love though, a GREAT song.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2012
    Timmer wrote

Yup. I loathe the original version like you wouldn't believe! GN'R plugged that bitch in and took it on a rollarcoaster ride!

Timmer wrote

I like her silky smooth style.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    No way it can be worse than Total Recall. NO WAY.

Yes Way! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    But is it worse than Glimmer Man?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Lawrence of Arabia - Maurice Jarre

Second listen today. The first 13-14 cues alone (starting with the overture and ending with Arrival at Camp) make up such a beautiful desert symphony or tone poem if you will. It's a score that just continues to propel itself foreword giving the listener one rewarding highlight after another. And Tadlow's re-recording is pretty much spot-on perfect. Extraordinary sonics, passionate conducting and soaring performances. It's an essential album that should be in every film score lovers collection.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yup. I loathe the original version like you wouldn't believe! GN'R plugged that bitch in and took it on a rollarcoaster ride!

yeah

But I don't dislike the original Live and Let Die.

Both the 'Use Your Illusion' albums are fantastic! GNR at their best (for me), but Appetite for Destruction is an awesome record too.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DreamTheater wrote
    Both the 'Use Your Illusion' albums are fantastic! GNR at their best (for me), but Appetite for Destruction is an awesome record too.

Masterpieces.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. ASSASSIN'S CREED II - JESPER KYD

Some very good cues here, exquisite vocal and haunting melodies. The best of the AC scores.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: COCAINE COWBOYS (Jan Hammer)

Great 80's, MIAMI VICE-style score for this recent documentary, but the sound on some tracks is abysmal, unfortunately.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: COCAINE COWBOYS (Jan Hammer)

Great 80's, MIAMI VICE-style score for this recent documentary, but the sound on some tracks is abysmal, unfortunately.

I saw it, incredible documentary, I'd recommend checking it out.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

Timmer wrote

I like her silky smooth style.

-Erik-

Krall's version is lovely, it's just not as lovely as Dusty's.....facts is facts! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Krall? Guns n' Roses?
    I cannot agree with any of this.
    There is Dusty and there are The Wings.
    That's it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    ASSASSIN'S CREED II - JESPER KYD

Some very good cues here, exquisite vocal and haunting melodies. The best of the AC scores.

Vangelis like, only not that good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hm. I did like the previous Assassin's Creed score, but I wish Kyd'd return to his more fullblooded work.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Too long running times, too much ambiance, not enough things going on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: The Amazing Spider-Man - James Horner

I suppose I should appreciate the wide dynamic range of this album, as far too many scores are compressed to death, but most of it is so quiet I keep thinking I need to turn the volume up...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SMALL SOLDIERS (Jerry Goldsmith)

Love the main theme and the wailing guitars, Trevor Rabin-style.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SATURN 3 - Elmer Bernstein

Possibly not to everyones taste but I absolutely love this rather ecclectic broodingly dark score, one of the themes was later used in his score to HEAVY METAL.
  4. Thor wrote

Where are the wailing guitars, Trevor Rabin style? confused

An expansion is needed, so much good stuff missing from the 30-minute album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

Where are the wailing guitars, Trevor Rabin style? confused

Didn't you know that Jerry was a HUGE fan of Yes. He was also a huge fan of "Something To Hold On To!" biggrin

Don't worry... Thor "hears" things that we don't. Shhhhh....

-Erik-
  5. Michael Giacchino - Ratatouille

Long time no hear. A very good score to a great movie, which I have to see again.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Dawn of the Dragonslayer - Panu Aaltio

Is a good score. Melodic from start to finish. Excellent main theme on brass. Nothing groundbreaking but miles ahead of most of the mainstream stuff this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    I really liked his HOME OF DARK BUTTERFLIES. How does DRAGONSLAYER compare to that?

NP: THE INCREDIBLE HULK - Craig Armstrong

First listen. I've not heard much praise for this score. It think it's not bad, so far. Not really good, but better than some other recent superhero scores. "That is the Target" is quite a good piece of action music. And I don't often praise action music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I haven't heard Dark Butterflies but I'm guessing its fairly different...Dragonslayer is a typical rousing romantic adventure symphony.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Indeed - very, very different scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Under Fire - Jerry Goldsmith

A masterpiece.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Under Fire - Jerry Goldsmith

A masterpiece.

Yes it is.

NP : THE SUM OF ALL FEARS - Jerry Goldsmith

No it isn't. It is very good though.