• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2012
    Tru story, bro.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2012 edited
    Steven wrote
    Srsly.
    Queue. It should be pronounced 'kyoo-eeh-ooh-eeh'.

Well, you know, as the old Greeks used to say: ghoti seauton, or "Know thy fish".
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Srsly.
    Queue. It should be pronounced 'kyoo-eeh-ooh-eeh'.

Well, you know, as the old Greeks used to say: ghoti seauton, or "Know thy fish".

Weirdest spelling of Goat ever....FACT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Goat yourself?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Goat yourself?

biggrin Thanks Pawel. If there was ONE person I would have hoped would at least be able to recognise my effort at insanely eclectic references, it'd be you.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. NP: Life of Pi (Mychael Danna)

I like it. A nice relief from Lincoln and Hobbit actually -- pleasantly dramatic without being overbearing.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. One of my favourite if not favourite score of this year.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2013
    Steven wrote
    Speaking of languages (which, on a serious note, I love), I vote that 'queue' is the most retarded word in use in the english language.

I agrees!

It's rather ridiculous. I'd ban queueueueueue. It's an endless word and it goes nowhere. Fuc!k
    Kazoo
  4. franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Life of Pi (Mychael Danna)

I like it. A nice relief from Lincoln and Hobbit actually -- pleasantly dramatic without being overbearing.

I think it's the best score written this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Life of Pi is one of the best of the year for sure!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Not an easy choice. There was strong output from my favorite regular composers (Newman and Horner) after all. But ultimately it came down to two tracks: "I'm Ready Now" and "Tsimtsum."

Also, the movie is fucking amazing.
  6. NP: The Ghost Writer (Desplat)

One of his strongest for pure listening pleasure. A great modern thriller score, one which is a cut above even the Bourne scores and Skyfall to my taste, as strong as those are. 'The Truth about Ruth' cooks.

But along the way today, I also listened to Anna Karenina (Dario Marianelli). This one is being overlooked. I haven't seen the film, but it's a gorgeous romantically-influenced album but not without a brain in its head.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorJosh B

NP: The Ghost Writer (Desplat)

One of his strongest for pure listening pleasure. A great modern thriller score, one which is a cut above even the Bourne scores and Skyfall to my taste, as strong as those are. 'The Truth about Ruth' cooks.

It's a good film, too. "The Truth about Ruth" elevates the finale to riveting cinema.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. So, I went against my own reslove and bought the LLL espanded / remastered release of "The Untouchables" by Ennio Morricone, replacing the original release that I had bought second hand only a few month ago.

I'm not a Morricone completist. In my 700 CD collection 32 CDs are by the Italien maestro. Yet, "The Untouchables" are among his seminal works.

I'm gald I picked up the LLL edition, for it's a real treat to listen to the entire score. A great experiance in musical storytelling. And the sound ... the sound just blows you away!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'll never part with my original copy as it has the Maestros signature on it. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Happy New Year!

NP: Four Gods (Legend) - Joe Hisaishi

Let's start the year with some great music! Superb score.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote
    Cristian wrote
    I wonder if James Honer listened to Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherazade op. 35 - Andantino quasi allegretto before he composed The Secret Wedding. Does anyone else hear the similarity?

Horner plagiarizing classical music? Naaaaaaaaaaah!

-Erik-

He couldn't have picked a better work. You all know how I feel about Scheherazade.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Hellraiser/Hellbound the new re-release from Buy Soundtrax.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    I'll never part with my original copy as it has the Maestros signature on it. cool

Ooooh, how did you get that?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

I went to the ( green room? ) down the stairs at the Barbican and he met us at the door with an interpreter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Does it sound better Tim?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2013 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Does it sound better Tim?

Now, funny you should mention that Tom but yes, yes it does. biggrin

p.s. you do know that I'm talking about the original release of The Untouchables, not the LLL one. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You don't have the original release of The Untouchables Tim. That honor goes to Nelson Riddle who released an album of the TV series. Alan was nice enough to obtain it for me many years ago and I still treasure it.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

I went to the ( green room? ) down the stairs at the Barbican and he met us at the door with an interpreter.

James, all those Morricone concerts you've been to, have you never been able to meet him?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    You don't have the original release of The Untouchables Tim. That honor goes to Nelson Riddle who released an album of the TV series. Alan was nice enough to obtain it for me many years ago and I still treasure it.
    Tom

But of course. I love Riddle's music for that series, I even remember that ominous theme from when I was a kid, my Mum loved Robert Stack and that show.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

James, all those Morricone concerts you've been to, have you never been able to meet him?

I did meet him, in Italy. A treasured memory. We just chanced it and walked round the back of the concert hall and nobody stopped us walking in, so we did. I shook his hand, thanked him for the music and got the concert ticket signed (didn't have a CD with me, unfortunately).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

I did meet him, in Italy. A treasured memory. We just chanced it and walked round the back of the concert hall and nobody stopped us walking in, so we did. I shook his hand, thanked him for the music and got the concert ticket signed (didn't have a CD with me, unfortunately).

Oh that's cool! cool

It's not always easy meeting big name composers, they're not all as affable as, say, Hans Zimmer. I feel very priveledged to have met the likes of Morricone, John Barry (where I walked unchallenged straight into his back stage party at his 1998 RAH concert), Jerry Goldsmith and John Williams* in person, my only regret being that I never saw Elmer Bernstein, something personal always got in the way every time I had a chance.

*I very rarely hear of anybody being able to get close to Williams in this day and age.
  8. NP: Home Alone (the la-la land edition)

damn, never figured out how magical John Williams tunes are in Home Alone, though the battle music at the end must be appreciated for what it does in the film, the themes and their performances (orchestral as choral) are magical beer
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yes, Williams seems quite hard to meet these days. I wish I'd met Barry - I was at that concert too but it never even occurred to me to just try to walk in! Wish I'd met Bernstein. Apparently he lived in Stratford-upon-Avon for long stretches of the year from the 1990s onwards and I spent a couple of years working in Coventry, which is very nearby, so I always harboured hopes of just bumping into him!