• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2013 edited
    It's a shame I didn't know you back then James. I was stood at the back door with other autograph hunters and noticed various celebs like Baddiel & Skinner and Michael Winner leaving and just thought I'll go in the way you've just come out, got into the party reception and helped myself to a glass of champagne and had a nice chat with Basil Poledouris before getting my CD of Octopussy signed by JB. It topped off what was already a brilliant night.

p.s. a shame you didn't get to meet Elmer, by all accounts he was a real gent but at least you saw him in concert.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2013
    Nice stories Tim and James. smile

I remember that after a concert of Craig Armstrong, we were outside waiting to have a chat and signature with the man (there's no back entrance!). After half an hour, he comes outside with two bodyguards, one of which was quite Scottisch. wink They first stopped us, but then Armstrong looked in our direction and said it was okay. He was rather quiet and that chat was very short. wink dizzy
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2013
    i'm sure there's an old Chinese saying that says don't mess with bodyguards, especially Scottish ones wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: Music from The Edge (John Corigliano)

Aka Edge of Darkness (rejected score) -- released this past year by one label to whom Corigliano fans are grateful. It's a solid effort -- one that unsurprisingly draws on the whole resources of the western orchestra (so rarely tested for films these days), even if the story doesn't give scope for the same compositional freedom as Altered States and The Red Violin did. A core theme for the character of Mel Gibson's daughter opens the score, and closes it in a surprisingly epic way. In between there's quite a bit of a variety to the abrasive orchestral material -- fans of Elliot Goldenthal will recognise aspects of his sound as being influenced by his mentor here. There's a slight reprise of one Red Violin piece in there.

Now, it's not wonderful. Maybe that's disappointing given the rarity of any score -- rejected or not -- from this titan of the classical scene. But if you were ranking orchestral scores by the quality of the writing, this would be topping your list for albums of new film music out in 2012.

And yes, there is one thing that doesn't work for me at all, and that's the very classical song for the closing credits. It's not the orchestration, nor the melody -- it's the lyrics, which are in English, and the mouthpiece, a classically-trained songbird. It can't help but feel incredibly conservative. This sort of thing arguably can work for something like Rise of the Guardians (where Desplat's song could be similarly described), given the playful content. But here it just doesn't work. The Kathleen Battle song for House of Flying Daggers also comes to mind. Not a shining moment.

We'll never know how any of this would have worked for the film, because of course the score didn't make it. And perhaps that's not so surprising -- writing like this for dramas is so rare these days, it feels like it would need commitment from the producers to stay. I do feel though that for all of Corigliano's stature, it would not have made the impression on people that the original Kamen/Clapton score for the miniseries did. (Mind you, it's hard not to think that the miniseries and the film -- despite featuring the same director -- are pitched at very different audiences.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. NP: Doctor Who Season 4 - 'The End of Time' (Murray Gold)

Rich emotional scoring for what was a very big episode in the revived Doctor Who saga. (David Tennant's farewell episode.) 'Four Knocks' resonates strongly with the emotions of its scene.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2013
    Rise of the Guardians - Desplat

My first listen to this and I'm not sure I'm getting the enjoyment from it that others seem to have. It's nice, fun music - kind of like a mid-range John Powell score for an animation. I'm not sure it would be in the top half of my ranking of Desplat's nine 2012 scores though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The promo, or the official album?
  3. Southall wrote
    Rise of the Guardians - Desplat

My first listen to this and I'm not sure I'm getting the enjoyment from it that others seem to have. It's nice, fun music - kind of like a mid-range John Powell score for an animation. I'm not sure it would be in the top half of my ranking of Desplat's nine 2012 scores though.

It's an okay score. But I can't hear where the love for this comes from.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    The promo, or the official album?

Official album. I bought it yesterday.
  4. It's very well written music. But it does feel like the desplat score you'd like if the rest didnt do anything for you. And because its the type of score that we've been trained to think only works in animation - like pavlovs dog - it's hard to take it very seriously either compared to the sort of emotions he usually elicits with his music..
  5. Are you listening to it in 3D? Apparently it's more difficult to make an emotional connection to the score if you listen to it in 3D.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. HA!

assuming that was a joke. If so it was a good one.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2013
    Hugo - Howard Shore

Couldn't get into this at first but repeated listens (as usual with Shore) are really paying off. Wonderfully frothy and full of life. I'm a bit distracted by the main theme which veers uncomfortably close to a theme from Ratatouille (stylistically obviously but the contours of the melody are also very similar).
  7. Die Hard with a Vengeance Kamen

If I could go back 15 years and give this to my teenage self he would be very happy indeed! How wonderful to have all the 'When Johnny Comes Marching Home' material, 'Bank Invasion' is a stunner! The release is very long but I find it holds up pretty well, certainly much better than the 2 disc Die Hard 2 (Which I find wonderful in small doses).
  8. The Hobbit Shore

I am warming to this the more I listen to it but I just don't connect with it emotionally the way I did the 'Lord of the Rings' scores, which is a real disappointment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    John Chambers wrote
    The Hobbit Shore

I am warming to this the more I listen to it but I just don't connect with it emotionally the way I did the 'Lord of the Rings' scores, which is a real disappointment.

agree with you on your assessment although I'm still holding out hope for it.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: MUSIC OF FORGOTTEN HORRORS

A series of cues from Abe Meyer and David Chudnow from PRC movies.
    Tom
  9. sdtom wrote
    John Chambers wrote
    The Hobbit Shore

agree with you on your assessment although I'm still holding out hope for it.
    Tom

This very cut-down presentation works a bit better for me... (descended from Erik's trimming of the score)

Old Friends (Extended Version)
    Axe or Sword
    The Adventure Begins
    The World is Ahead
    Radagast the Brown
    The Hill of Sorcery
    Warg Scouts
    The Hidden Valley
    Dreaming of Bag End
    The Edge of the Wild
    Riddles in the Dark
    Out of the Frying Pan
    A Good Omen
    Song of the Lonely Mountain

That's pretty much an hour of listening, and it seems to be plenty. Sometimes I throw in The White Council too.
  10. Some good listening to day, with albums almost popping up at random.

Iron Lady (Thomas Newman) -- this is great!
    Island of Lost Souls (Jane Antonia Cornish) -- Wagnerian thunder
    Islands in the Stream (Jerry Goldsmith)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2013 edited
    I'm not fully convinced by the random nature of that triumvirate.
  11. Southall wrote
    I'm not fully convinced by the random nature of that triumvirate.

Aye, I would tend to agree!
  12. By the time I'd typed the names out, neither was I!
  13. NP: Skyfall (Thomas Newman)

This really is excellent. 'Quartermaster' in particular, with that electronic pulse set against the manic percussion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    LIONS FOR LAMBS | mark isham

Not sure why one would trade lions with lambs, but since Tom Cruise is included, ridiculous stuff is bound to happen. One of my favourite scores of Isham though, with that great pulsating main theme and the fantastic last two tracks Last Shift and End Credits. shocked
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Bregt wrote
    Not sure why one would trade lions with lambs...

Maybe because you're afraid of lions, and think lambs are the cutest thing in the world? Also! Lambs become sheep when grown up, and they produce wool, so it's basically win-win!

Stupid question, really.
  14. Bregt wrote

Not sure why one would trade lions with lambs, but since Tom Cruise is included, ridiculous stuff is bound to happen. One of my favourite scores of Isham though, with that great pulsating main theme and the fantastic last two tracks Last Shift and End Credits. shocked

Not sure how much ridiculous stff is bound to happen in a movie that was directed by nobody else than Robert Redford wink (No, I haven't seen it yet)
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  15. franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Skyfall (Thomas Newman)

This really is excellent. 'Quartermaster' in particular, with that electronic pulse set against the manic percussion.

"Deep Water" and the title track.
  16. PawelStroinski wrote
    Bregt wrote

Not sure how much ridiculous stff is bound to happen in a movie that was directed by nobody else than Robert Redford wink (No, I haven't seen it yet)

I've seen it; it's a pretty decent political advocacy movie, featuring Meryl Streep as a journalist and a young Andrew Garfield, among others.

And yes, the score gets really good towards the end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2013
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Bregt wrote

It's a type of film that I usually find insanely boring, so I've avoided too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2013
    sdtom wrote
    NP: MUSIC OF FORGOTTEN HORRORS

A series of cues from Abe Meyer and David Chudnow from PRC movies.
    Tom

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/t … rschudnow/

My review
    Tom smile