• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Star Trek The Next Generation Vol. 4 (GNP) - Jay Chattaway
    Some very nice music here!

Edit - Just in with the mail:

Lonsome Dove - Basil Poledouris (Sonic Images) Arriving from Amiland across the great pond.
    Gesu di Nazareth - Maurice Jarre (Legend) which officially marks the 700th entry into my film music collection. fireworks
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2013
    Night Crossing - Jerry Goldsmith

It sounds like a rather heavy score for the film (which I haven't seen), but it's a great album, showcasing various aspects of Goldsmith at his best.
  2. Journey (Austin Wintory)

'Apotheosis' is one of those tracks I've played a lot this year.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Anyone here actually played the game? I heard it was good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2013 edited
    Disliked the score and i heard the game is a love it or hate it situation; whether you will feel it's indeed an amazing spiritual journey or a tremendous snoozefest it's entirely up to your perspective of things. I thought the score hinted the later. I thought it was quite overrated to be frank wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. I am listening to "Close Encouters of the Third Kind" (John Williams) as conducted by Charles Gerhardt on his "Star Wars/Close Encounters" album. What a superb recording!
    It must have been a bold statement, when Gerhardt, who had for years re-rerecorded the qintessence of film music of the Golden Age, now would do an album featuring two recent works of JW. Like JW was beeing knighted.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    I am listening to "Close Encouters of the Third Kind" (John Williams) as conducted by Charles Gerhardt on his "Star Wars/Close Encounters" album. What a superb recording!
    It must have been a bold statement, when Gerhardt, who had for years re-rerecorded the qintessence of film music of the Golden Age, now would do an album featuring two recent works of JW. Like JW was beeing knighted.

I expect it was "forced" on him due to the popularity at the time. Darn good album isn't it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hellraiser 2 - Christopher Young

I lent my copy of this to someone about ten years ago and they didn't return it, so I haven't heard it since then. And now I've bought it again. It's just as wonderful as I remembered.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    You bought it again. Wow.

Here's what I lost over the years, because of lending out or just being sloppy
    Matrix Expanded Varese release (very sad!)
    Wall-E (I had the recyclable box, but I only have that left for some reason sad )

Very sad. sad
    Kazoo
  5. On principle I never lend CDs out of my film music collection. But I always pass on mp3ies if asked for.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I only ever lend CD's to my most trusted friends, the ones who've never let me down. other than that I'll make a recording, I learnt my lesson years ago lending out LP's.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

I lent my copy of this to someone about ten years ago and they didn't return it, so I haven't heard it since then. And now I've bought it again. It's just as wonderful as I remembered.

Absolutely amazing score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The whole ethnic music discussion over at Hans Zimmer's topic, reminded of how good this is. It's been so long since i last played it.

JOHN DEBNEY - The stoning of Soraya M.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2013
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote

Absolutely amazing score.

It is bloody good but it also owes quite a bit to Jerry Goldsmith's POLTERGEIST but considering where many of today's composers get their "fix" that is no bad thing, no bad thing at all!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I am listening to "Close Encouters of the Third Kind" (John Williams) as conducted by Charles Gerhardt on his "Star Wars/Close Encounters" album. What a superb recording!

I expect it was "forced" on him due to the popularity at the time. Darn good album isn't it.

It wasn't forced on him at all. He loved the Star Wars music so much that he wanted to conduct and record it himself.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: HAWK THE SLAYER by Harry Robertson. I'm reviewing it.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2013/01/06/h … robertson/

Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - Thomas Newman

Really enjoyable album.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote

It wasn't forced on him at all. He loved the Star Wars music so much that he wanted to conduct and record it himself.

-Erik-

Okay.

Considering the time of it's release I thought it may have been the case.

6. Oh, it's you! I thought I had seen that www-address over at the scoreboard. Ha! Your cover is up, Sir! biggrin

I enjoyed your review by the way. I don't know whether I need this score but I do know that I need to see that film.

Cheers! wave
    Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote

Oh, it's you! I thought I had seen that www-address over at the scoreboard. Ha! Your cover is up, Sir! biggrin

I enjoyed your review by the way. I don't know whether I need this score but I do know that I need to see that film.

Cheers! wave
    Volker

The film is a "guilty pleasure" and the score is great fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    I've been dipping into some old James Horner this weekend and today. Listened to The Pelican Brief yesterday and this morning, now I am enjoying his score to Project X.

For a while I had a hard time listening to Horner (my favourite composer), but I have started to get the desire to hear his stuff come back. Interestingly, I think it started when I relistened to his Amazing Spider-Man score before the holidays. It was a score that did nothing for me and then, BAM, I spun it while cleaning up my office and fell in love with it.

I am always fascinated when a score that initially disappoints becomes loved.

Anyway, I will be spinning some Class Action, Gorky Park and Aliens later today. Long Live Horner.
    Insert witty line here
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - John Williams

My favourite of the Indy scores. Spectacular music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Skyfall Thomas Newman

I have nothing but praise for this score and its composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Skyfall Thomas Newman

I have nothing but praise for this score and its composer.

Absolutely agree, I have huge respect for this composer.
  7. It is superb. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    And he seems like a very nice guy, which is always a bonus. In fact there's a good chance I may have a mancrush on him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I have a mancrush on Javier Bardem I think.

:coat:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Who doesn't? Finally we're given a memorable baddy in a decent Bond film.
  8. Steven wrote
    And he seems like a very nice guy, which is always a bonus. In fact there's a good chance I may have a mancrush on him.

Join the club. wink