• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2013
    Cristian wrote
    Steven do you like the score?

Go to Erik's link in the post above mine and scroll down a few posts wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE FLY II - Christopher Young

A very poor film. A very good score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: CHARLIE AND CHOCOLATE FACTORY (Danny Elfman)

One of his best in recent years. I'm going through all my Elfmans in alphabetical order again (the way they're organized in my iTunes), and while I don't intend to do an "NP" for all of them, I might just do one once in a while. Like now.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I presume you've already played Article 99. Is that Elfman's first score begining with A?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Timmer wrote
    Cristian wrote
    Steven do you like the score?

Go to Erik's link in the post above mine and scroll down a few posts wink

Aha, I saw the post, thanks. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I presume you've already played Article 99. Is that Elfman's first score begining with A?

Yup, already played. The first, however, is ALICE IN WONDERLAND, followed by ARMY OF DARKNESS (where Elfman provided one theme). Then comes ARTICLE 99.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2013 edited
    Alice!? face-palm-mt

Army of Darkness is pushing it though. spin

I wonder how many composers have a catalogue of films running the complete alphabet from A to Z?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Josh B wrote
    Signs - James Newton Howard

I greatly admire this score. Some may see the central suspense tracks as noodling but they're incredibly detailed and essential to the film (the rare Shyamalan I like). The main titles is a blast and the finale cues are some of the best music this composer has ever written.

Agreed. I heard this album yesterday. It's definitely one of my favorite JNH album/score. Excellent in the movie, and great on album, with high re-listenability.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Wyatt Earp - JNH

Very enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Alice!? face-palm-mt

Army of Darkness is pushing it though. spin

I wonder how many composers have a catalogue of films running the complete alphabet from A to Z?

My Williams collection only misses Q, U, X, Y, Z in terms of Williams compositions (if you also include Williams-RELATED items of various kinds, I could include things like Yo Yo Ma Plays John Williams etc.). But yeah, good question. I'm sure there must be several composers who have the whole alphabet represented.

I also forgot ANYWHERE BUT HERE over, but all of the small suites, themes etc. that don't have its own score soundtrack are gathered in one Elfman "album" called "Ends and oddities" in my iTunes player.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I'd put money on Ennio Morricone for that. The man composed for 512 friggin' films, he's bound to have all letters represented somewhere. Probably even the numbers.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A safe bet? I think I'd put my money with yours Bob wink

I've just looked at my own fave composer John Barry, the only letter missing is X.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Why is Signs one of the very best scores ever composed? That's not a loaded question, I actually don't know.

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … 950#Item_6

-Erik-

Ah yes, a good case indeed. I wouldn't put it in quite as high regard as you, but I still think it's a brilliant score (one that I could easily see being used in lectures).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Timmer wrote
    A safe bet? I think I'd put my money with yours Bob wink

I've just looked at my own fave composer John Barry, the only letter missing is X.

Morricone did XI FIFA WORLD CUP! Also: QUARTIERE and ZENABEL!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Yoshitsune - Taro Iwashiro

Gorgeous score, in my top ten!
  1. Reading Jon Burlingame's excellent book 'The Music of James Bond' meant that I have hunted out the early Bond score to listen to. Then I realised that I had never put the expanded CDs into chronological order or split up the larger extra tracks that became available when the expanded versions were released.

These longer tracks were too long to really enjoy and now that I have split them up and re-ordered them some of the titles seems refreshingly new.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Reading Jon Burlingame's excellent book 'The Music of James Bond' meant that I have hunted out the early Bond score to listen to. Then I realised that I had never put the expanded CDs into chronological order or split up the larger extra tracks that became available when the expanded versions were released.

These longer tracks were too long to really enjoy and now that I have split them up and re-ordered them some of the titles seems refreshingly new.

I pressume you're talking about the "suites" on You Only Live Twice, Thunderball, Diamonds Are Forever and Live and Let Die.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Glad you're enjoying Jon Burlingame's book ( I think I was supposed to get back to you on that when you asked me about it and whether it was worth buying? shame ), I'm guessing you could have answered my Jimmy Page TRUE/FALSE question had it been asked now. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Reading Jon Burlingame's excellent book 'The Music of James Bond' meant that I have hunted out the early Bond score to listen to. Then I realised that I had never put the expanded CDs into chronological order or split up the larger extra tracks that became available when the expanded versions were released.

Ah... I wish someone could do something like that for me. (Better still, I wish the album producers had done it.) I don't mind You Only Live Twice or Diamonds, but Thunderball's pretty much unlistenable as far as I'm concerned without that (and since I haven't done it, I never listen to it.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Black Dahlia Mark Isham

I know the phrase "proper score" gets thrown around a lot (probably by me), but yes, this really is a proper score. Good artwork too, which is always a bonus.
  2. Tim, you presume correctly.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Don't beat up on Erik liking signs. He doesn't praise minimalist music enough. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. Steven wrote
    The Black Dahlia Mark Isham

I know the phrase "proper score" gets thrown around a lot (probably by me), but yes, this really is a proper score. Good artwork too, which is always a bonus.

I once wrote a very long review of this over at Ryan k's old cinemusic site if you like this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ooh yes. Link?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I really like that one too.

Was playing: The Ghost and the Darkness - Jerry Goldsmith

Have always enjoyed this mixture of old-fashioned expansive landscape scoring and very aggressive action music (far superior to the 1990s Goldsmith African score which just got an expanded release, in fact).

Now playing: Rent-a-Cop - Jerry Goldsmith

This is dreadful. Even this Goldsmith fanatic can't really find anything to like in it.
  5. Maybe of the theme from Rentaghost had been added that would have improved things a bit?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It certainly wouldn't have made it any worse.
  6. Looks like cinemusic is all gone. Oh well! Had my super long golden compass review as well.
  7. Now Voyager - The Classic Film Scores of Max Steiner (RCA Red Seal) Charles Gerhardt conducting the National Philharmonic Orchestra. Outstanding! The greatest anthology of film music ever put together. It's the backbone of my collection.

2001: A Space Odyssey (Sony) I really like Alex North's composition. Still I am glad that Stanley Kubrick choose his temp track to stay. The classical pieces are incredibly poweful in context. The Sony release replaces my old Polydor edition. More content and remastered! I love, that the music is presented as heard in the film and in unaltered form.

Snow White and the Huntsman by JNH. A score that grows on me more and more with every listen.

Cheers!
    Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight James Hannigan Jason Graves Tim Wynn

Don't let the fact that it has Twilight in the title put you off, this is actually very good. Very good indeed. (With a "slight" tip of the hat to Horner's Aliens score.)