• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2013
    The Mission - Ennio Morricone

The score of a lifetime. Stunning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Now Voyager - The Classic Film Scores of Max Steiner (RCA Red Seal) Charles Gerhardt conducting the National Philharmonic Orchestra. Outstanding! The greatest anthology of film music ever put together. It's the backbone of my collection.

beer kiss

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Yeah, it sucks how that film never got a sequel. It's probably the superhero film I've ever seen.

I meant to say it's the BEST superhero film I've ever seen.
  2. NP: The Truman Show (Dallwitz, Glass, Kilar, Chopin)

Quite a blend of things. But it does tell that story perfectly. Saw the film again the other night. Pretty close to perfect.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Yeah, it sucks how that film never got a sequel. It's probably the superhero film I've ever seen.

I meant to say it's the BEST superhero film I've ever seen.

He had written two more films; it was proposed as a trilogy.

Information found via and internet search suggests that the third film from his company Night Chronicles (the first has been "Devil" and the second is in developement) will re-use ideas from "Unbreakable 2", since U2 doesn't appear to be happening anytime soon.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2013 edited
    Southall wrote

Most likely the only time where I knew who was scoring a film before anyone else (outside of the film), I was told by David Puttnam personally that Morricone was confirmed on that day. dizzy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Most likely the only time where I knew who was scoring a film before anyone else (outside of the film), I was told by David Puttnam personally that Morricone was confirmed on that day. dizzy

Maybe you even knew before Morricone himself?!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2013
    Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Reading Jon Burlingame's excellent book 'The Music of James Bond' meant that I have hunted out the early Bond score to listen to. Then I realised that I had never put the expanded CDs into chronological order or split up the larger extra tracks that became available when the expanded versions were released.

These longer tracks were too long to really enjoy and now that I have split them up and re-ordered them some of the titles seems refreshingly new.

Ah... I wish someone could do something like that for me. (Better still, I wish the album producers had done it.) I don't mind You Only Live Twice or Diamonds, but Thunderball's pretty much unlistenable as far as I'm concerned without that (and since I haven't done it, I never listen to it.)

Missing out on THIS? spin '007' was never better! wink cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ultimo - L'occhio del falco - Ennio Morricone

Hooray, a new score by the Maestro. At last. (This is actually the fourth in the Ultimo series - the first three were scored jointly by Morricone with his son, but this one's solo.) It's fairly typical Morricone crime thriller music, no bad thing in my opinion. Presumably some of it is carried over from the earlier scores in the series, but I'm probably not familiar enough with them to have noticed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    By your description, it's not for me i think wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2013
    Going through the Oscar scores, one at a time. The Marianelli is the only one I hadn't fully heard. Haven't seen any of the films yet either but they're all on my radar (except again, Anna Karenina, which doesn't appeal to me.)

Just finished: Anna Karenina - Dario Marianelli

It was okay. The first half is mostly classically-inspired waltzes but if that's what I wanted to hear, I'd go for the real thing. The second half is more conventional underscore and while reasonably well-written, didn't leave a gigantic impression.

Now working on:

Argo - Alexandre Desplat

Not a fan of ethnic scores but I like some of the action cues like "Scent of Death" and "Cleared Iranian Airspace" is really fantastic. Like "Zero Dark Thirty", I bet I could make a great suite out of this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nana - Ennio Morricone

This is a relatively obscure gem from 1999, highlighted by a stunner of a main theme (here it is).
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Lincoln - John Williams

Fantastic. It really grows on you with repeated listens, with all of those amazing themes. And naturally with Williams, the craftsmanship is off the charts.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2013
    Life of Pi - Mychael Danna

Pretty, pleasant and completely unmemorable. I just don't see what everyone loves about this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Josh B wrote

Pretty, pleasant and completely unmemorable. I just don't see what everyone loves about this score.

I find it goosebump-inducingly beautiful. But different strokes and all that.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Josh B wrote

I would say the same thing about Lincoln. tongue
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Thor wrote
    Josh B wrote

I find it goosebump-inducingly beautiful. But different strokes and all that.

I'm still listening to it. Most tracks blend together but I'm finding it more effective if I start with "Tiger Vision" and play to the end. "God Storm" is an especially amazing track.
  6. The "God Storm"-"I'm Ready Now" combo is especially powerful. It's heartbreaking in the context of the film.
  7. NP: A shuffle over a playlist of scores for Ang Lee films, including a few by Mychael Danna (Ride with the Devil, Ice Storm, 'Chosen', Life of Pi), a Desplat (Lust Caution), an Elfman (Hulk), a Tan Dun (Crouching Tiger), a Doyle (Sense and Sensibility) and a Santaolalla (Brokeback Mountain).

The man isn't a slave to any musical tradition, that's for sure. And it's all a pretty canny pick for the films involved. I haven't seen the Taiwanese films or Taking Woodstock, but he does look like the director who never gets it wrong.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The "God Storm"-"I'm Ready Now" combo is especially powerful. It's heartbreaking in the context of the film.

I want to see the film. I get the impression that context in this case is especially important.
  8. John Barry

Moonraker
    Star Crash
    The Black Hole

At the end of the 70s Barry had a fit of SciFi scoring. The results are delightful!

Cheers!
    V.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    John Barry

Moonraker
    Star Crash
    The Black Hole

At the end of the 70s Barry had a fit of SciFi scoring. The results are delightful!

Cheers!
    V.

Have you ever seen STAR CRASH? dizzy cheesy
  9. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    John Barry

Moonraker
    Star Crash
    The Black Hole

Cheers!
    V.

Have you ever seen STAR CRASH? dizzy cheesy

It's the crown jewel of my DVD collection.
    Seriously, I do have the DVD, and of course the film is hilarious. I like these low-budget sicence fiction flicks that emerged following the success of Star Wars. The Italian production "L'Humanoide" is the best of them all.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BEST. FILM. EVER. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Captain Future wrote

Oh, it's you! I thought I had seen that www-address over at the scoreboard. Ha! Your cover is up, Sir! biggrin

I enjoyed your review by the way. I don't know whether I need this score but I do know that I need to see that film.

Cheers! wave
    Volker

You need the score! I'm really a golden age guy but I found this one to be quite enjoyable.
    Tom cheesy
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Listening to the new expanded Untouchables (1987) score. As I listen I can hear references to many of his prior films.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  10. sdtom wrote
    Listening to the new expanded Untouchables (1987) score. As I listen I can hear references to many of his prior films.
    Tom

This expanded version is so much more enjoyable than the original release.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    The Sweeney - Lorne Balfe

First listen ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  11. sdtom wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Oh, it's you! I thought I had seen that www-address over at the scoreboard. Ha! Your cover is up, Sir! biggrin

I enjoyed your review by the way. I don't know whether I need this score but I do know that I need to see that film.

Cheers! wave
    Volker

You need the score! I'm really a golden age guy but I found this one to be quite enjoyable.
    Tom cheesy

I ordered the DVD and will decide about the score after watching! cheesy