• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Skyfall (Thomas Newman)

I do like this.

What's your favorite track? "Deep Water" is a stunner.
  2. Scribe wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I do like this.

I like it a bit more after seeing the film. Still wish it had more thematic elements.
    Strangely, the totally Zimmer-Batman music when [spoiler]he's going up the elevator in Shanghai[/spoiler] doesn't seem to be on the album.

That bit seemed more like Philip Glass to me. But listening to the album, I wondered if it was the opening of 'Jellyfish' (I think that's the cue), which has a bit of an Elliot Goldenthal vibe.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I do like this.

What's your favorite track? "Deep Water" is a stunner.

I don't think I'm quite at "favourite track" point yet. It's always tricky with Newman scores -- so often the overall impression is stronger than any one cue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2012
    Welcome back Michael. Congrats! punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Red Dawn - Ramin Djawadi

It's not great, but it's not terrible either. It's nowhere as bad as Southall made it out to be. It's kinda nice to hear (recurring) themes/melodies weaving in and out. It's more thematic than Ramin's usual output, like a much improved version of Safe House, which I did like. I would listen to this again.

FYI, I never cared very much for the original movie and nor did I hear much of Basil's score, so I can't compare.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2012 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Scribe wrote

Strangely, the totally Zimmer-Batman music when [spoiler]he's going up the elevator in Shanghai[/spoiler] doesn't seem to be on the album.

That bit seemed more like Philip Glass to me. But listening to the album, I wondered if it was the opening of 'Jellyfish' (I think that's the cue), which has a bit of an Elliot Goldenthal vibe.

Yep, that's the Jellyfish track. Love how it works in the film. If you have to compare it with a popular earlier work, you might say it's got a little Tron: Legacy thingy going on in the beginning.

The moment in the film which made musically the biggest impression on me was Tennyson, which makes me enjoy the track a lot more on album now. Very Newmanny as well.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    it is indeed mindblowing stuff, kick ass action music, in Lethal Weapon 3 there's a terrific (although not as brilliant as this) piece as well, namely the shootout in the subway station. That's the stuff that makes the Lethal Weapon movies legendary smile

I'm not very familiar with Kamen's work so it's nice to be surprised.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Josh B wrote
    I'm not very familiar with Kamen's work so it's nice to be surprised.

You might want to listen to my three part radio tribute to Kamen.

http://www.cinematicsound.net/214/

Enjoy!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    ^

Nice, this will keep me occupied for a few days. Thanks!
  4. Bregt wrote

Cheers -- thanks Bregt. Looking forward to meeting you in 11 days or so.
  5. BobdH wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Scribe wrote

Yep, that's the Jellyfish track. Love how it works in the film. If you have to compare it with a popular earlier work, you might say it's got a little Tron: Legacy thingy going on in the beginning.

The moment in the film which made musically the biggest impression on me was Tennyson, which makes me enjoy the track a lot more on album now. Very Newmanny as well.

Perhaps in the film the bit that made the strongest impression on me was 'Jellyfish'. It's hard to tell -- is it because the scene is so effective, or the music made it so? They work together well in any case.

Most annoying musical moment in the film -- the music announcing the appearance of the car in the third act. Undid a lot of good work.
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Interesting.

-Erik-

And listening to the Guns of the Magnificent Seven, this seems to be different than the previous two scores (though containing a lot of the same themes) suggesting that, perhaps, the film franchise had picked up and more resource could be channelled into the music?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2012
    NP: Raise the Titanic - John Barry

What an excellent score! And what an excellent re-recording by Nic Raine!
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mogens wrote
    NP: Raise the Titanic - John Barry

What an excellent score! And what an excellent re-recording by Nic Raine!

It is indeed! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. NP: Anna Karenina (Dario Marianelli)

Very interested to see how the score works in context -- Joe Wright films have a way of letting the music do the talking. Still, this one doesn't quite resonate as strongly as a listen as that other slavic-influenced score of a decade back, Onegin. A good core theme, arranged very effectively over the course of the thing, but the music stays so clearly in the realm of pomp and ceremony that you have to imagine the actor's emotion the music is meant to counterpoint to get much feeling from it.
  8. franz_conrad wrote
    BobdH wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Scribe wrote

Perhaps in the film the bit that made the strongest impression on me was 'Jellyfish'. It's hard to tell -- is it because the scene is so effective, or the music made it so? They work together well in any case.

Most annoying musical moment in the film -- the music announcing the appearance of the car in the third act. Undid a lot of good work.

I hope to see this movie this weekend. I'll be listening for many of the pieces. I'm sure it'll make me love the score even more.
  9. franz_conrad wrote
    Bregt wrote

if that's the 8th, I will be there as well smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2012 edited
    NP: The Dairy of Anne Frank (Suite) - Alfred Newman

I can't remember the last time I spun this suite. I think it might be when I received this album oh so many years ago. This suite from Newman's The Dairy of Anne Frank is on an album called The Essential Alfred Newman Film Music Collection from Silva Screen Records with music performed by The City of Prague Philharmonic. I don't own the original soundtrack recording so I can't compare the performances but. IMO. the City of Prague's performance is heartfelt, warm and oozing with emotion. The music itself is gorgeous and might be one of my all time favorite Newman scores... again, based only off this suite. Beautiful music. And here's hoping that the rumors are true and that La La Land will be releasing an expanded and remasted edition of the original score some time next year. Brilliant stuff.

I've now moved onto an album that Martijn recommended to me. I once said that owning the SAE release of Captain From Castile is all you need to hear from this score. Well, after I made that bold statement Martijn recommended I find the Captain From Castile Symphonic Suite on Facet/Delos Records. While I do love SAE's complete release this 43 minute suite of highlights from the score is just as brilliant! The remastering of the 1940's recording is superb as well. And you can still find this recording for dirt cheap HERE! This is also one of my all time favourite Newman score with a march to die for! The only down side of this release is that the album is one long single track. But I wouldn't skip over any of this anyway! Great music!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    CONDORMAN - Henry Mancini

Cheesy but exciting theme song, cool catchy melodies, a love theme in the Mancini style.....this is all very lightweight but oh so much fun, I'm really enjoying this.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  10. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Bregt wrote

Oh cool. The pleasure will be mine. Saturday morning breakfast. smile
  11. Brian Tyler - Far Cry 3

More original and convincing than Brake, this heavy, very heavy work is NOT for everyone, but after first listen I like it quite a lot! Quite unique soundscape and that's something I never say about the guy, but the way he combined the sounds he got for it, just...

I think it's my favourite Brian Tyler work! I loved it! There are a few scores of his I'd like to get back to soon, my favourites are (yes, I do have them) Bangkok Dangerous, Eagle Eye (oh yes) and Expendables 2, though I'd rather return to Battle: LA, where the only major thing that somehow annoys me are the Zimmer Batman-like ostinati all over the score.

Far Cry 3 is not for everyone though, heavy harsh electronics, jarring soundscape, but very, very coherent and original.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2012 edited
    This does not compute. Pawel likes a Brian Tyler score. asjsdffAjdafa;gn ajfgh lajnw;t nawndfn........... suicide

-Erik-
  12. NP: Lo Imposible (Velasquez)

Ok, so coming around again on this one, having listened to a number of other scores that I expected would be better but really weren't... look actually I don't mind this. I think I'll listen to it a lot more than... some of those other things.
  13. Various cues from the "Star Trek: The Next Generation" Ron Jones box, to make into a two or three CD compilation set for listening while driving.

Since a number of cues have smaller cues in them, I'm editing, combining other cues as needed, etc. CD #2 will open with almost all of the Klingon material.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2012
    Timmer wrote
    William wrote
    NP: The Fury (The Deluxe Edition) - John Williams

Just discovered this last night. An obscure gem of a score!

Good to see you still posting William smile And yes, great score!

I'm not gone yet. wink I love and miss this place; college is just super busy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Lo Imposible (Velasquez)

Ok, so coming around again on this one, having listened to a number of other scores that I expected would be better but really weren't... look actually I don't mind this. I think I'll listen to it a lot more than... some of those other things.

What a cold way to put this... smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  14. franz_conrad wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Bregt wrote

Oh cool. The pleasure will be mine. Saturday morning breakfast. smile

yep, I'll be there beer
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Lo Imposible (Velasquez)

What a cold way to put this... smile

"Faint praise", isn't that what it's called? smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm in kind of a film noir mood today.

First I listened to the outstanding THE BLACK DAHLIA by Mark Isham. Incredible score and a great recording as well. I have to return to this one more often.

I just finished with John Barry's BODY HEAT; the re-recording featuring Jole McNeely and the London Symphony Orchestra. I have both the SCSE and FSM versions and I still prefer the re-recording. It's mostly a sound quality thing. The LSO recording I think is superb!

I'm now going to spin an interesting compilation from BSX Records called FILM NOIR'S FINEST. You can find the album HERE! A surprisingly solid album!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Barry's original all the way for me but I do like the McNeely recording.