• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Time for a new thread and with a masterpiece:

Basil Poledouris - Lonesome Dove

Brilliant, beautiful western score, emotional rather than action-oriented. Along with Les Miserables my favourite Poledouris score. Yeah, I love Conan as much as the next guy, but I prefer those two.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2012
    NP : MIDNIGHT COWBOY - John Barry & Various Artists

A classic score by Barry who also supervised the songs, this is another Barry score where i would so love to have the film tracks.

Oh, and speaking of my beloved sound of 'mysterioso' scoring here's a great track from the score...

SCIENCE FICTION

...music for a film within the film ( and a very grim moment in the film indeed ), can anyone think of any other films where the composer has scored a film within a film?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Time for a new thread and with a masterpiece:

Basil Poledouris - Lonesome Dove

Brilliant, beautiful western score, emotional rather than action-oriented. Along with Les Miserables my favourite Poledouris score. Yeah, I love Conan as much as the next guy, but I prefer those two.

You're flippin BONKERS!

But yeah, those are two very good scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. John Williams scored the animation shorts in Jurassic Park.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    John Williams scored the animation shorts in Jurassic Park.

Of course! There must be more too but I can't think of them? Talking of Poledouris he scored the commercials seen in ROBOCOP.
  3. Goldsmith scored all the commercials on Total Recall as well.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Goldsmith scored all the commercials on Total Recall as well.

He did but I think there are probably a number of examples like this. There can't be many examples of a film ( in the case of Midnight Cowboy it's an unspecified film made for the picture ) within the film being scored by the composer.

There's another John Barry example in the film ( not on the album ) FOLLOW ME where a character ( I think it's Mia Farrow, I don't quite remember? ) goes to the cinema and watches a Hammer DRACULA film, the sequence shown is rescored by John Barry*, I suspect/guessing this was because they couldn't get the rights for the original score by James Bernard?

*I even used this for a TRUE/FALSE question some years ago.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2012 edited
    NP : THE LORD OF THE RINGS - Leonard Rosenman

Thematic and at times gutterally brutal, this is a very fine score with plenty of meat on it's musical bones.

I ADORE this main title theme, it never fails to uplift and put a smile on my face. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BEAR - Philippe Sarde

A lovely score.
  4. ROBERT FOLK COMPILATION BY THOMAS G.

Police Academy - The Thief and the Cobbler - The Neverending Story II - There Be Dragons - Tremors - In the Army Now - Lawnmower Man 2 - Toy Soldiers - Beastmaster II

YOWZA !!!! shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorJoshL
    Timmer wrote
    ...music for a film within the film ( and a very grim moment in the film indeed ), can anyone think of any other films where the composer has scored a film within a film?

Television example, but Badalamenti did the "Invitation To Love" music in Twin Peaks, if I recall correctly. I'm sure there's a couple films in my collection that do this, but I can't think of them at the moment. I'll continue to think about this....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Spy Who Loved Me - Marvin Hamlisch

The best Bond score by someone other than John Barry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Journey - Austin Wintory

Once in a while, I'm sure we all hear music that just affects us in some profound way. I have listened and listened and listened to this album since first hearing it a few months ago. I find it simply, profoundly moving. It seems to be music of such meaning. Everyone else around here seemed to have a lukewarm response to it when I first mentioned it but for me, this is the best new music of 2012.
  5. Did you end up reviewing it? I'll get a copy from Austin Wintory himself, hopefully.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  6. Looking forward to it. I am waiting for my own copy to listen to it finally! But I really believe in Austin, been chatting with him for a long time and he's an amazing guy. I asked for a review copy, he said, he'll do it just because I am very supportive.
  7. Southall wrote
    Journey - Austin Wintory

Once in a while, I'm sure we all hear music that just affects us in some profound way. I have listened and listened and listened to this album since first hearing it a few months ago. I find it simply, profoundly moving. It seems to be music of such meaning. Everyone else around here seemed to have a lukewarm response to it when I first mentioned it but for me, this is the best new music of 2012.

I liked it too. Bought on your recommendation.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2012
    Eye of the Needle - Miklos Rozsa

Exceptional late drama score from the master. The main theme is an ingenious construct. Love how he plays with it in the action music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    NP: Docking - Apollo 13 (James Horner)
    Thanks Timmer for the link. I do not own the complete score, just the regular album.
  8. ^

Docking is a great cue indeed. I wouldn't be against an official expanded score release.

BASIC INSTINCT - JERRY GOLDSMITH

The Varese presentation, which is just a better listen for me. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  9. TAXI DRIVER - BERNARD HERRMANN

It stood out in the film, simply stating: HEAR ME!!! And boy it's the total opposite of today's wallpaper scoring that is just there to have something else than dialogue and sound effects on the soundtrack.

Herrmann's music is next to Travis' Bickle, the second most important character of the film and its effect is tremendous, the themes instantly memorable and the bizarre orchestrations absolutely riveting.

First Herrmann in my collection but probably not the last. smile
  10. Also, it's interesting to note how much the video game score of 'L.A. Noire' resembles Taxi Driver. Have you heard it yet Tim?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That score is marvellous! L.A.Noire, top stuff. Is the game any good, DT?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    RACHEL PORTMAN - Grey Gardens

Gorgeous, love it. Innocent and sweet, piano-driven and small-scale orchestral.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    The Shadow - Jerry Goldsmith (Intrada)

Oh man! This is great! Really fun stuff. So glad they've released the complete score. So much to digest but so darn good! Might have to watch the film someday too.
  11. DreamTheater wrote
    ROBERT FOLK COMPILATION BY THOMAS G.

Police Academy - The Thief and the Cobbler - The Neverending Story II - There Be Dragons - Tremors - In the Army Now - Lawnmower Man 2 - Toy Soldiers - Beastmaster II

YOWZA !!!! shocked

talk about bombastic music eh wink
    thank god that it's thematic and rousing too smile

plus, I love the hints towards Horner
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  12. Demetris wrote
    That score is marvellous! L.A.Noire, top stuff. Is the game any good, DT?

the game is very good, I loved playing it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Also, it's interesting to note how much the video game score of 'L.A. Noire' resembles Taxi Driver. Have you heard it yet Tim?

Yes I have and it's VERY good! It also comes as no surprise to know that he plays in Sade's backing band.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2012 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    TAXI DRIVER - BERNARD HERRMANN

It stood out in the film, simply stating: HEAR ME!!! And boy it's the total opposite of today's wallpaper scoring that is just there to have something else than dialogue and sound effects on the soundtrack.

Herrmann's music is next to Travis' Bickle, the second most important character of the film and its effect is tremendous, the themes instantly memorable and the bizarre orchestrations absolutely riveting.

First Herrmann in my collection but probably not the last. smile

Watcha gonna get next? I'd highly ( seriously highly ) recommend you get one of the greatest scores ever written, VERTIGO and make sure it's Joel McNeely's sublime rerecording and also 7th VOYAGE OF SINBAD ( now this is how you score a fantasy film, Herrmann never needed a thousand voice choir to convey the fantastical* ) rerecorded by John Debney. The thunderous Cyclops music will make you want to stamp around your house smashing everything with a big log. wink

*I love choirs in fantasy scores it's just that I feel that nowadays they are mostly overused and help to hide composer shortcomings.
  13. I own two Herrmann scores myself - the re-recording of North by Northwest and the FSM edition of his collaboration with Alfred Newman, the exquisite The Egyptian.

My Golden Age scores are limited - Ben Hur (the 2 CD edition, passed on the FSM; I am planning of getting the 2 CD version of El Cid when I have *a lot* of money, I don't need the third one), North by Northwest, The Egyptian (FSM) also the 3 CD mammooth edition of The Greatest Story Ever Told. My favourite GA composer is Alfred Newman, then comes Herrmann.