• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2012
    I vaguely remember from my Latin studies that as well as the obvious "et" for "and", there is also the option of adding a "que" suffix to the second word. So, for example, if a Roman fancied some fish and chips then he or she had the option of ordering either "fish et chips" or "fish chipsque."

However, this seems a little peculiar, so I wonder if it's really true or if my mind is playing tricks.
  1. Can't help, but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57M4OhdsAFM#t=5m28s
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Southall wrote
    I vaguely remember from my Latin studies that as well as the obvious "et" for "and", there is also the option of adding a "que" suffix to the second word. So, for example, if a Roman fancied some fish and chips then he or she had the option of ordering either "fish et chips" or "fish chipsque."

However, this seems a little peculiar, so I wonder if it's really true or if my mind is playing tricks.

Yes, that's exactly the case - "arma virumque cano" (I am singing of a man and weapons, that is of an armed man) means "arma et virum cano". The -que suffix means "and".
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2012 edited
    And just to finetune Pawel's fine answer: a rule of thumb is that "et" is a generic connector, while "-que" indicates a close(r) relationship.
    So in the two cases cited ("an armed man" and "fish and chips") you can use either, but the -que suffix would actually be better (as there is a clear and close conection between the concepts).

Additionally -que is also used at the end of a sequence or summation (fish, chips, salt and wine would generally translate as pisces patatae frictae*) sel vinumque)

...and of course the Romans'd use it if it were more aethetically pleasing, or fitted better into a verse.
    Or when they'd feel like it. dizzy
    (Latin really isn't all that consistent!)

Anyway, for what it's worth.
    Just showing off here, basically. wink

*): wild conjecture: the Romans, as far as I know, didn't have potatoes.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Yeah, Virgil was helpful.

Next time I go to London I have to try fish chipsque wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2012 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yeah, Virgil was helpful.

Next time I go to London I have to try fish chipsque wink

biggrin

p.s. you're correct Martijn, the Romans would never have tasted potato. The Aztecs on the other hand would have had them chipped and served with a beating heart.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ah!
    Patatae corque.