• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2012
    Does anyone still have the capability to listen to cassette tapes? I recently purchased a unit that transfers cassette tapes to digital files. It is made by Encore and it transfers at a 256kps rate which seems to be more than adequate for a cassette which wasn't all that great to begin with. What is intriguing to me is the fact that I have material which is difficult at best to find. I would be asking $2.00 per tape + postage. I've located a very nice mailer for them. For example I found a Harry James recording he made of "Street Scene" which is a pretty darn good arrangement. There are jazz, classical, radio programs, big band, and soundtracks. What you can expect from a cassette tape is very good radio quality. Another little goldmine is a nice collection of the Gerhardt/RCA recordings and about 20 Kunzel Cincinnati Pops tapes. If there is any serious interest let me know and I'll prepare a list.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Good luck with this Tom. I am not sure there will be much interest. For me, I have not had the capability to play tapes for many years.

Trivia moment: my first purchase of a fully-fledged soundtrack was a cassette tape of Star Wars. I wore it to death!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I tried a cassette once, but it didn't fit in my USB port. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Even though I am (of course) still capable of playing cassettes, in the interest of cleaning house and organisation I am in progress of digitising my *own* cassette collection.
    So no, no additional cassettes for me. smile

:nostalgic:
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2012 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Even though I am (of course) still capable of playing cassettes, in the interest of cleaning house and organisation I am in progress of digitising my *own* cassette collection.
    So no, no additional cassettes for me. smile

I still have a cassette player too ( love that pic Martijn, an HB pencil or a cheap biro were necessary tools in the day wink ), I keep it and use it, though rarely, for playing stuff I have that is hard to find or don't want to replace but am happy to have on tape, also including some really early stuff of me and friends arsing around with microphones.

I hope your sale goes well Tom, personally I'll never be adding to my cassettes ever again.

p.s. Oh those early days of joy at making personal play list compilations :nostalgic: ( Martijn, any idea what a :nostalgic: icon would look like? )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2012
    http://electrobrand-usa.com/encore/33-c … ystem.html is the unit that I was able to pick up for $59.00. As a result I saved myself $50.00 on the purchase of a CD as I didn't need audiophile quality just good radio sound. The unit fits right into the loop of my stereo system which has a 32 band equalizer.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ … p_tab_new?
    ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&condition=new&me=&qid=&seller=&sr=

You can listen to the track on my site http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2012/09/03/m … -in-hi-fi/

The sale of the lp's has been incredible. One Beatles album fetched $250 and 10 of the Tony Thomas label vinyl brought in another $1000. I've only scratched the surface on this material as I have 2000 lp's. I guess people are interested in vinyl!!! At one time I would have given them away to a good home, how stupid was that.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2012 edited
    Great to see that people are wanting what you have to offer Tom. And willing to pay a decent amount for it.

I would not have thought that people would want to go back to vinyl.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Great to see that people are wanting what you have to offer Tom. And willing to pay a decent amount for it.

I would not have thought that people would want to go back to vinyl.

I had no clue either Alan. Ona brighter note I was doing a bit of cleanup on my computer, got stuck on something and went into a big manual I'd purchased from Microsoft and I found a very easy way to increase my ram at the ridiculous cost of two dollars! designate a 2gig memory stick to what they call memory boost. It increased the ram by another two gigs. My computer now runs better than when it was new. How I missed this new feature with Windows 7 is a testiment to my stupidity. If you have a chance go to my website and check out the James version of the Street Scene. The whole track is up there at 128 kps in mono.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Actually, I noticed that a while back: vinyl is on a HUGE comeback!
    SO many young people I hear and see dusting off "their old man's record player", and bying records.
    There's one second hand record shop in my vicinity, and he's doing ridiculous business (confiding in me that he's thinking of expanding his opening hours to accomodate demand).

In fact, he sells almost NO CDs any more. shocked

smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    p.s. Oh those early days of joy at making personal play list compilations :nostalgic:

Well, I still find a lot of satisfaction in creating playlists on my iPod.
    In fact I relatively rarely listen to fuill scores these days, but turn to my playlists.

But they do lack the sheer effort and creativity of mix tapes.
    Remember having to look forever for that 2:43 song to exactly round out a 90 minutes tape's A-side (so you wouldn't need to rewind the B-side to get to the beginning?). It took a lot of skill making the perfect 45 minute mix!
    :sigh:

( Martijn, any idea what a :nostalgic: icon would look like? )

Something like this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ok. smile
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    p.s. Oh those early days of joy at making personal play list compilations :nostalgic:

Well, I still find a lot of satisfaction in creating playlists on my iPod.
    In fact I relatively rarely listen to fuill scores these days, but turn to my playlists.

But they do lack the sheer effort and creativity of mix tapes.
    Remember having to look forever for that 2:43 song to exactly round out a 90 minutes tape's A-side (so you wouldn't need to rewind the B-side to get to the beginning?). It took a lot of skill making the perfect 45 minute mix!
    :sigh:

( Martijn, any idea what a :nostalgic: icon would look like? )

Something like this?

biggrin Absolutely. Perfect. love

As for mix tapes, my old stereo system ( exactly 3 stereo systems ago ) had a fade out feature that you had to oporate manually but even with that you still had to find an appropriate track that would sound right on a fade-out.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Too much organisation for me! I just chose a song I thought would fit and then watch anxiously for the race between the song or tape ending unfold.

Sudden ends to a favourite song wasn't too harrowing an experience. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked Fade-outs? Hard breaks? angry

You never made a true mix tape.
    No dedication!
    No effort!
    No love for the medium!

Bah! angry
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    shocked Fade-outs? Hard breaks? angry

You never made a true mix tape.
    No dedication!
    No effort!
    No love for the medium!

Bah! angry

Wind yer tantacles in!

I used to plan my mix tapes with near military precision, pre-playing tracks to make sure they fitted before or at the end of the last one, a list of timings to make sure I knew when to end things etc, I rarely needed the fade-out control but it was damned useful when I did need it. It would have been much easier if back in the day you had the likes of Thomas Newman and tons of choices of short tracks wink

100% agree with you on "breaks" though. Unthinkable!

p.s. I loved 120 minute tapes but with too much use they tended to stretch slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2012
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2012/09/06/t … itzgerald/

I added another soundtrack by the beautiful voice of Ella and the Nelson Riddle orchestra. Good stuff.
    Tom