• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. "Bates Motel", a prequel TV series to the famous film franchise (apparently ignoring that the fourth film did that), is coming to television (A&E I think).

Some guy named Freddie Highmore will play the young Bates.

Okay.....

Anyway, so, who should score the series? I can't think of anybody I would trust to handle the music no doubt early hints at the original film's score. I tried to think of anybody alive who worked with Herrmann, and I could only think of Howard Blake; he said (in two interviews) he played synthsizer on "Sisters" for him, and in anotehr interview said he did arranging for him.

Who in the world shoudl score it? I swear to goodness, if I see James Levin or Wendy & Lisa's name attached to another TV show, I may have to go postal. Especially if for a Psycho series.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Do you really not know who Freddie Highmore is, or were you being sarcastic? I think he's great.
  3. No, I don't know who he is. His IMDB page shows I've not seen anything he's been in.

But then again, everybody always thinks somebody is great. I had somebody tell me once Kevin Bacon is hot. Really? Are we both looking at the same Kevin Bacon?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. You missed FINDING NEVERLAND? He played a heart-breaking little boy in that film. You didn't see Burton's CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY? He plays Charlie. Even in films that I did not enjoy, I think he's done a good job.
  5. You forget August Rush, one of the most enchanting movies I've seen in a long time (with a wonderful score to boot)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. I am assuming that Freddie Highmore is going to be Bates? If he is then the producers have their work cut out trying to make me forget all his previous work/characters where I just really want to give the character a slap.

It would be a testament to the actor's skill if he can do that. He has age on his side in that a lot of the previous things I have seen him in are when he was a lot younger. Having grown up a bit he may have left all that behind him.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. The director for the pilot is somebody named Tucker Gates. He's directed a number of TV series. So I looked at the ones he worked on recently for composers:

Blake Neely
    Wendy & Lisa (you already know my thoughts there!!!)
    Ludwig Goransson (possibly; no composer listed for the episode on IMDB)
    Mark Rivers
    Danny Lux & Matt Mariano

But these are random episodes of series. So I decided to check sereis where he did many episodes, to see if there were any consistant composers used:
    Michael Giacchino (twice)
    Christopher Tyng
    Danny Lux

So, my feeling -- unless he actually tries to do the show musical justice, is that we'll get either Danny Lux or Wendy & Lisa.

Now, I have nothing negative to say about Lux based on the work I've heard, it's just that Psycho is a special musical beast. I assume he's worked with him on other series, too.

Also, what the hell is the point of this series? This isn't like Batman or Superman, where we know their pasts generally, but there are still surprises to be had, we know Bates' end, we know -- thanks to the movies -- he was a sick twisted fuck who loved his mother more than normal. How much of this sick, twisted younger Bates do we need to see? Just what the hell could they offer to make this worth the viewing?

I got a feeling of a serious waste of time that'll make "Psycho IV" look like a master piece.
  8. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    You forget August Rush, one of the most enchanting movies I've seen in a long time (with a wonderful score to boot)

No, I didn't forget that one. I was thinking about that very film and one other when I mentioned his films that I do not like. wink
  9. christopher wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    You forget August Rush, one of the most enchanting movies I've seen in a long time (with a wonderful score to boot)

No, I didn't forget that one. I was thinking about that very film and one other when I mentioned his films that I do not like. wink

what's not to like?
    Okay, it sounds too good to be true, but the way the music plays an integral role in this one I find it mesmerizing from start to finish smile
  10. Well, the story was more than a little ridiculous. What hospital on earth would agree with a father to tell a new mother than her son had been killed and then ship that baby off to an orphanage? There was all kinds of contrived conflict in the film. The whole story, to me, seemed like the writers got together and came up with the end of the film ("Ya know, it would be really cool if it ended with...") and then wrote a movie that could end there, throwing in Dickens's Oliver as often as possible. Also, Highmore's character's ability to learn to play any instrument with such precision was way past my willingness to suspend disbelief. Especially the scene where that girl shows him what a piano is and when she comes back from school that day he's writing music out with the same notation the rest of us use, never having been taught that. That part bugged me the most. So he's a musical genius? Fine. Could he teach himself music theory and how to write music the same way the rest of the world does in a single day. Absolutely not. There's no reason why he would write music the same as everyone else. There's nothing intuitive about the way we write music down. Anyway, that's a small scene that was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back. I just thought the whole thing was silly.

But it had some cool musical moments, for sure.
  11. my father had the exact response, but for me it felt magical. Because most people could say the same about any movie holding a fantasy element. I was open for it because for me (in movies) anything's allowed, IF they use it well. And for me August Rush went totally overboard with it, but they used it well

so, I love it smile but I can see many people having problems with it too
  12. FilmMusicReporter.com is reporting that Chris Bacon is scoring it.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2013 edited
    Certainly a better choice than some of the names on your list (like Wendy and Lisa). Hopefully, this show will have plenty of opportunities for good scoring so he can get more exposure. The guy deserves to break out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2013
    I like Chris p, I think he has great premise.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.