• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Word.

I did have to chuckle when D followed his rant on the lack of a theme in GRAVITY with another one on the lack of a theme in HOBBIT. I don't enjoy that score any more than D does, but there are people on the internet -- I used to be one -- who seem to spend their whole waking lives finding themes in Shore's scores. It won't take long for one of them to appear. wink

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23907
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2013
    Good point! Let's get back on track...

NP The Reasonable Horticulturalist Brian Kilkline

Excellent stuff. Very obvious themes.
  2. Desolation of Smaug is about as theme-less as Wagner's Ring-Cycle.

Yes, the themes don't stand out like in a compilation of STAR WARS suites, but that is not the way it's got to be. For example the "Misty Mountains" is there: It is wonderfully hinted at in "In the Shadow of the Mountain".

Besides: Obviously it wasn't Shore's decision to have that theme plastered all over the first film. It's not that prominent in the albums.

Ever listened to Friedhofer, some of Herrmann's stuff? Or Alfred Newman's? Leitmotiv-scoring has never been the only option, atmospheric scoring has always been around. Even Williams and Goldsmith have had their share of it.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    James Horner
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Captain Future, right on cue.

If Howard Shore's HOBBIT scores sounded more like Bernard Herrmann had scored them, I promise you I'd be on board.
  4. No, not James Horner.

I'm bloody getting sick of this discussions! This has to do with konwing a bit about classical music. About modern and current symphonic music aside from the movies. Shore's Ring-Music including his Hobbit effort belongs to the most important things that happened to film music in these past years. There is a wealth of relevant symphonic music here. It is a towering rock in the midst of an ocean of mediocrecy. And all people do is whining about how Hobbit II does not sound like Return of the King. This is that bloody stupid mindles prequel discussion all over again. It fucks me off!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Good... goooood.
  5. dizzy biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Back on topic please folks!

Does anyone know who is scoring the next sequel to The Hunger Games, Mockingjay (Part One)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Interesting that you say that. For me, this is the worst year in film music since I started collecting (admittedly, that was 2007, and probably the first year where I was really paying full attention was 2009, so I'm still a film music baby with not much to go on tongue ).

shocked

The hell you say? For crying out loud. 2013 has been excellent!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Steven wrote
    Good... goooood.

Except I think his hate has made him powerless!
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Interesting that you say that. For me, this is the worst year in film music since I started collecting (admittedly, that was 2007, and probably the first year where I was really paying full attention was 2009, so I'm still a film music baby with not much to go on tongue ).

The hell you say? For crying out loud. 2013 has been excellent!

-Erik-

I'd better not take this bait or else we'll get into an argument over Evil Dead again. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I suppose one advantage of The Hobbit albums is that they almost entirely bridge the gap between the releases of the films. Start listening to one and by the time it ends you've had another birthday and the Christmas tree's up again. By the time they get to part 16 of the film, which covers the second part of the fifth paragraph on page two, Howard Shore will have written more music than every other composer in history added together.
  8. Captain Future wrote
    No, not James Horner.

I'm bloody getting sick of this discussions! This has to do with konwing a bit about classical music. About modern and current symphonic music aside from the movies. Shore's Ring-Music including his Hobbit effort belongs to the most important things that happened to film music in these past years. There is a wealth of relevant symphonic music here. It is a towering rock in the midst of an ocean of mediocrecy. And all people do is whining about how Hobbit II does not sound like Return of the King. This is that bloody stupid mindles prequel discussion all over again. It fucks me off!

Agreed with everything except for the somewhat suspect phrasing of your last exclamation. wink

Honestly, Frodo could count the number of scores that have come out since Return of the King with half as much thematic complexity on his left hand. One of them is An Unexpected Journey and, again, I have complete faith in Shore that Desolation of Smaug is another. That they don't rival Return of the King doesn't mean they don't still have more to them than about 98% of concurrent scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2013
    Smaug, schmaug....I have to get up early tomorrow to catch the press screening of this HOBBIT film you''re all talking about. I'm looking forward to it, but I doubt it can top my experience of GRAVITY. Good night.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Who said anything about GRAVITY? Please stay on topic, Thor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    I suppose one advantage of The Hobbit albums is that they almost entirely bridge the gap between the releases of the films. Start listening to one and by the time it ends you've had another birthday and the Christmas tree's up again. By the time they get to part 16 of the film, which covers the second part of the fifth paragraph on page two, Howard Shore will have written more music than every other composer in history added together.

biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    applause

He's not wrong. I'm only half way through the first track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Captain Future wrote
    No, not James Horner.

(hmmm can't tell if this guy's for real or trolling mmm)
  10. Not rolling intended. As you said: "I don't care about sugar-coating my words ..."

Neither do I.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well in that case, if you're getting sick of those discussions then by all means ignore them wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Why are there Hobbits all over poor Steven Price's thread when the ACTUAL Hobbit thread is RIGHT BELOW THIS ONE?

(Who is Steven Price, by the way?)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2013 edited
    (a guy who has problems with some drones, perhaps he wasn't looking for them)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

He's Not David Arnold!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2013 edited
    Demetris wrote
    (a guy who has problems with some drones, perhaps he wasn't looking for them)

Drones have always been controversial.

Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

He's Not David Arnold!

Nor Vincent Price.
    We ALL want to be Vincent Price. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  11. Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

He's Not David Arnold!

Isn't that Michael Price?
  12. Michael Price isn't David Arnold either. I think they're each their own person. tongue
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    James Horner
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ...who, as we know, is himself repetitively.
  13. ..repetitively awesome. I agree.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube