• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. for me first listens are important because:

they give me the answers to wich score it represents (very important for a reviewer) and if for instance a Horner moment is ripped from another score. After a second and third listen for instance with Horner that so called rip becomes a part of the new score and I can't identify it anymore that easy.

But first listens don't say everything because a score grows on you no matter what
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008
    In this case more listening=better
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008
    More=better
  2. That is often the case. Interestingly, scores that often demand more listenings immediately "get to me", but those with outward themes have to sink in with me. Case in point, kill me, Hook and Titanic.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2008 edited
    I have my share of scores, which I listened to once, to not return to it ever again, or years later so I wouldn't remember it at all, though if the score had some good moments, I would remember those fragments. In some cases it opened my eyes to another side of that score, so I could like it more. And sometimes you're just not into them at the moment, like when you're younger, yet you learn to appreciate them later in life, like Michael Collins I had heard once many years ago, did not like it as I was comparing it to other Goldenthals, now I've finally bought it after 'getting' how good it is.

Braveheart was a score I didn't immediately like, but I was sure glad the whole thing clicked after 4-5 listens. It has been my fave Horner ever since. Some people mentioned Mission to Mars as something you either hate or like, well I like it, though I don't have that many Morricone, he sure struck something inside of me that made me appreciate it. Maybe it's just because I did not own any Ennio's I was so accepting it, as it sounded totally original to my ears.

I'm now in a process where I'm trying to rediscover scores I've ignored for much too long (The Fury), or heard once and just dismissed them entirely... I'm doing this as much of the current batch of film scores doesn't interest me... Maybe in the years to come I'll return to them and discover them properly... Like an endless cycle. wink

However, there are still a lot that I don't intend ever on hearing again, if they bored me to hell, or if the whole sound of the music didn't appeal to me (End of Days, Sleepy Hollow).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2008
    If you want to study and truly learn and appreciate a soundtrack, classical work it will have to be listened to over and over again. However, getting the material out again after a period of time is a good thing...case in point. My very first listen to Bartok Concerto for Orchestra was so poor I considered it noise yet to return for many years. I now fully appreciate.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2021
    These days, when I listen to 6-700 new scores every year, first impressions are everything. I can glean over the course of just a few seconds or minutes if this score is worthwhile (plus scrolling through the tracks).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2021 edited
    I'm not as patient as I used to be. Now that we have Spotify and Youtube, you can 'check out' a score to see if it's worth buying. But, even still, it's not the same as it used to be. I don't really buy CDs anymore but I miss that era so much.

I can remember ordering CDs and they would be delivered in the post literally just before I'd leave for school in the morning... and then I'd spend the entire day anxiously waiting to get home to pop it in the stereo.

When my mum would ask me what I wanted for Christmas... I'd reel off a list of scores that were coming out (and, bless her, she didn't get the obsession).

How times have changed. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2021
    I can still remember one morning... the post arrived unusually early. And I received JNH's Signs. I still had about an hour before I had to leave for school. And I sat listening to it intensely with my breakfast.

Good times.
  3. Thor wrote
    These days, when I listen to 6-700 new scores every year, first impressions are everything. I can glean over the course of just a few seconds or minutes if this score is worthwhile (plus scrolling through the tracks).

I think first impressions is definitely important to me. As you say there's so much to listen to something that grabs the attention early on will mean that I am more likely to stick with it. A specific composer doesn't mean that I will listen to the album if it doesn't grab my attention.

I do realise that this attitude is likely to mean that I will miss out on some good stuff. But I can always go back and try something I have missed if there's a 'buzz' about it latter from the myriad of social media outlets, etc.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2021
    LSH wrote
    I can still remember one morning... the post arrived unusually early. And I received JNH's Signs. I still had about an hour before I had to leave for school. And I sat listening to it intensely with my breakfast.

Good times.

Sounds like a scary breakfast.
    I am extremely serious.