• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Scribe wrote
    I agree about Atonement. This one doesn't quite reach those levels of creativity, but, still gorgeous.

I found it to be surprisingly unfocused and calling out for more memorable theme (not one of Dario's strongest points as a writer).
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2011
    sdtom wrote
    I saw Jane Eyre at the theater last night and while I thought that the film was good (***) there wasn't the romantic tension between Wasikowska and Fassbender as Wilson and Stephens in the 2006 BBC Miniseries production. The miniseries also had the advantage of being 200+minutes versus 120 minutes. The added time helped contribute to the success as this is a difficult story to tell in two hours in my opinion. Judi Dench was excellent but seemed out of place at times. Perhaps I've just seen her in so many other roles. The surround effect went way over the top and a couple of times I found it quite annoying. The score was extremely effective in the film and as Jon pointed out the violin playing was a thing of beauty. I missed a really strong main title/end title but that is me I understand having grown up with this kind of score in so many films. I would be curious at some point to hear the music away from the film. It was very pleasant to see something away from the Hollywood formula of sex, foul language, violence and excessive action and special effects. This film had none of that at all just good acting to a timeless story.
    Thomas smile

Glad to see the score works good in the film 'cause on the cd it's one of the best scores i've heard this year so far, along with EL GRAN MILAGRO.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    KevinSmith wrote
    Scribe wrote
    I agree about Atonement. This one doesn't quite reach those levels of creativity, but, still gorgeous.

I found it to be surprisingly unfocused and calling out for more memorable theme (not one of Dario's strongest points as a writer).

I thought ATONEMENT, as it works in the film, is his best work to date, simply brilliant especially the phenomenal Dunkirk beach scene. Jane eyre works wonders on the cd too but i've yet to see the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2011 edited
    KevinSmith wrote
    Scribe wrote

I agree with you on lack of a stronger theme but the music written is strong albeit unmemorable. There's no lasting impression!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Scribe wrote

I'm agree with you on the stronger theme but the music written is strong but unmemorable. There's no lasting impression!

-Erik-

Ala The Last Airbender...
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2011 edited
    KevinSmith wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Scribe wrote

I agree with you on lack of a stronger theme but the music written is strong albeit unmemorable. There's no lasting impression!

-Erik-

Ala The Last Airbender...

Good comparison!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I ordered the score for Jane Eyre from Borders for $8.00 including shipping. I'll be curious to listen.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    wave Hey Tom... yeah, it's me! How ya doing? Did you forget about a small little soundtrack radio show that I produce? Have a listen. http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=756

-Erik-
  3. Speaking of that, your radio show was the first I got to hear anything from this Jane Eyre. I liked it, especially the solo violin (like everyone else).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    wave Hey Tom... yeah, it's me! How ya doing? Did you forget about a small little soundtrack radio show that I produce? Have a listen. http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=756

-Erik-

I completely forgot confused at least it only cost me $8.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2011
    Btw, these are the news of the week for me smile

Dario Marianelli to Reunite with Joe Wright on ‘Anna Karenina’
    http://filmmusicreporter.com/2011/10/31 … -karenina/
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2011
    Christodoulides wrote
    Btw, these are the news of the week for me smile

Dario Marianelli to Reunite with Joe Wright on ‘Anna Karenina’
    http://filmmusicreporter.com/2011/10/31 … -karenina/

Fantastic!!! Made my day!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2011
    I just saw AGORA.

It's actually quite a good film, and the score is beautiful. Very GLADIATOR-esque.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2011
    Thor wrote
    I just saw AGORA.

It's actually quite a good film, and the score is beautiful. Very GLADIATOR-esque.

I like Marianelli a lot but I'm put off by your Gladiator'esque comment.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. KINGDOM OF HEAVEN seems a bit closer to the mark.

The film is very nicely done. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    I just saw AGORA.

Don't be Tim. Agora is a superb work. Just listen to tracks like 'Two Hundred Thousand Books', 'If I Could Just Unravel This' and 'The Skies Do Not Fall ' Yes, there's a lot of duduk playing, but it has nothing to do with Gladiator!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    I just saw AGORA.

Don't be Tim. Agora is a superb work. Just listen to tracks like 'Two Hundred Thousand Books', 'If I Could Just Unravel This' and 'The Skies Do Not Fall ' Yes, there's a lot of duduk playing, but it has nothing to do with Gladiator!

My goodness, what beautiful music.

It's just gone in my little note book of rapidly expanding titles I must get.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote

My goodness, what beautiful music.

It's just gone in my little note book of rapidly expanding titles I must get.

I told ya! smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm happy to be told beer bhangra
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The female vocal and Middle Eastern tinge in a Roman setting was what immediately gave me the GLADIATOR feel, but there are obviously many other elements that give it its own identity too, like those aforementioned tracks.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    bhangra
    bhangra

Long time no bhangra dancing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thor wrote
    The female vocal and Middle Eastern tinge in a Roman setting was what immediately gave me the GLADIATOR feel, but there are obviously many other elements that give it its own identity too, like those aforementioned tracks.

Indeed, the female vocal and the use of duduk is always related to Gladiator, I agree. But the emotional material of Agora is so beautiful and moving, specially in the film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I have a love/hate relationship with duduks and wailing women but in AGORA I liked it.....a lot!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Try to watch the film. With the visuals, the music is simply awesome. If you are not moved by the music in the final sequences of the film, you are not human.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I have a love/hate relationship with duduks and wailing women but in AGORA I liked it.....a lot!

What, a wailing woman hit you over the head with a duduk when you were a kid or something? wink
    I am extremely serious.
  5. I think she must have dropped by my house too if the answer to that one's 'yes'.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No relation to gladiator, man I've been shouting for this score for ages, you just saw It now ? Damn I am a zero in here it seems. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

What marcel said. Dario handles cliched material like this in completely unique and personal ways. No relation to the nameless identity-less copies of gladiator we get each year. This come from a man who knows music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    My thoughts exactly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's evident In all of his works. The mans full of musicianship and he's one of the few.