• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I want to listen to this also.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2011
    Have you listened to the sound clips?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Christodoulides wrote

Yes I have. There's a certain soulfulness that sounds interesting. I can't believe that Amazon are listing this as a pre-order CD for release in September!? It seems to be available in the US now.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Yes I have. There's a certain soulfulness that sounds interesting. I can't believe that Amazon are listing this as a pre-order CD for release in September!? It seems to be available in the US now.

As far as I know that's the release date for Europe. At least this is the case here in Switzerland. Sony Switzerland will release the score earliest in July... ? (another date...) wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Hmm... While the film won't be released here anytime soon, we can order the score already on Dutch sites (Bol.com). So it's not in all Europe? Anyway, you can also order it on ScreenArchives, which is even cheaper then ordering it in Europe (well, for me it is!).
  3. BobdH wrote
    Hmm... While the film won't be released here anytime soon, we can order the score already on Dutch sites (Bol.com). So it's not in all Europe? Anyway, you can also order it on ScreenArchives, which is even cheaper then ordering it in Europe (well, for me it is!).

Is the Dutch site importing it from the US? I'm sure that you will be able to find it as an import in places like Amazon - at an inflated price (although the pre-order price for September is over £20).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Is the Dutch site importing it from the US? I'm sure that you will be able to find it as an import in places like Amazon - at an inflated price (although the pre-order price for September is over £20).

Nope, they don't. They do sometimes import products (though usually from the UK, not US), but they always list it then, and they don't now. Also, it's got a normal price - low, even, at € 15,99 (being € 19,99 a normal Dutch retailprice for CD's).

Maybe it's because the UK release date of the film has already been determined and they plan the release of the score to coincide, as a marketing tool - while the release date of the film hasn't been set in the Netherlands yet, so there's no film distributor to interfere?
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    Wow. The copy I reviewed was bought sealed and brand new for £6.16 off the shelf at Amoeba in Hollywood. I'd forgotten how expensive CDs are back home. I wonder if it would be cheaper to have it shipped direct from there?

http://www.amoeba.com/music-mail-order/index.html
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    CD prices in the UK are obscene, it's no wonder many record stores are struggling.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's no different here. Shit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Wow. The copy I reviewed was bought sealed and brand new for £6.16 off the shelf at Amoeba in Hollywood.l

6 pound or dollar? Either way, that's incredibly cheap for a new and sealed score! It's what I spend on lunch a day! (well, if you're talking dollars that is - because that'd be € 4,34 over here). You could buy 3 or 4 copies for the price of one in Europe!

(Amoeba sounds like a virus or bacteria, though...).
  4. 6 pounds - I did the conversion from $9.99.
  5. Amoeba. Actually a single-celled organism.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What is average CD prices in the States Jon? i.e. a newly released album.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Jon Broxton wrote
    6 pounds - I did the conversion from $9.99.

Jon, how much would you charge for admin and s&h? wink
  7. Timmer - Usually between $10 and $14, depending on the score, so roughly between £6 and £9. It wouldn't surprise me if it's not cheaper to buy CDs from a US online store and have them shipped to Europe (including S&H), than it is to just buy them from HMV.
  8. 9 pounds... That's the price I got the Bond scores (9 pounds each) in HMV in London.

Usually it's around 16-18, right?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Timmer - Usually between $10 and $14, depending on the score, so roughly between £6 and £9. It wouldn't surprise me if it's not cheaper to buy CDs from a US online store and have them shipped to Europe (including S&H), than it is to just buy them from HMV.

Which is why I always shop around. Soundtracks ( unless they're more popular ones like Harry Potter ) tend to be more expensive in stores but brand new albums by pop artists usually go for £10.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    9 pounds... That's the price I got the Bond scores (9 pounds each) in HMV in London.

Usually it's around 16-18, right?

It was a few years ago, prices have come down but still not enough IMO, I almost picked up Gabriel Yared's Amelia the other day until I saw it was £16
  9. During my first trip to London I bought one of my favourite Goldsmith scores for 16 - Under Fire.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Doesn't surprise me, London is expensive, especially if you were shopping in Oxford Street.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    BobdH wrote

Sure it is, but in case of sony I might probabely get the CD for free... that's why I will wait a bit longer... biggrin
  10. Timmer wrote
    Doesn't surprise me, London is expensive, especially if you were shopping in Oxford Street.

Yes, the HMV there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2011
    PawelStroinski wrote
    During my first trip to London I bought one of my favourite Goldsmith scores for 16 - Under Fire.

When I first started accumulating film music CDs in great numbers (15 years ago) that was about the standard price. Fortunately CDs are far cheaper these days - but I can't have bought more than about 5 film scores in actual shops in the last 5 years. Buy so much online, and the prices there have gone the other way (for film music) - CDs still about the same but Intrada/SAE et al seem to charge considerably more for shipping than they used to, and of course the UK currency has devalued considerably over the last few years.
  11. Jon Broxton wrote
    I reviewed JANE EYRE tonight, if anyone's interested:
    http://moviemusicuk.us/2011/03/17/jane- … arianelli/

Score of the year, so far, for me.

Thumbs up here too. This is very good. But if you don't like a more austere, chamber aesthetic, this ain't your score. (Although within that vein, this is obviously very expressive, romantic music.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2011 edited
    I listened to it. I think its gorgeous...I can't wait to get to know it better. If not for the simultaneous arrival of McKenzie's masterpiece it would also be my favorite of the young year. I will always prefer more boldly melodic music, though I've definitely developed a strong taste for Marianelli's more subdued, subtle artistry.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  12. The climactic 'Yes' and 'Awaken' are stunning.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Woah, haven't heard it yet but all those comments make me anxious! I thought Atonement was one of the best modern scores i've heard in ages...looking forward to the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I agree about Atonement. This one doesn't quite reach those levels of creativity, but, still gorgeous.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2011
    I saw Jane Eyre at the theater last night and while I thought that the film was good (***) there wasn't the romantic tension between Wasikowska and Fassbender as Wilson and Stephens in the 2006 BBC Miniseries production. The miniseries also had the advantage of being 200+minutes versus 120 minutes. The added time helped contribute to the success as this is a difficult story to tell in two hours in my opinion. Judi Dench was excellent but seemed out of place at times. Perhaps I've just seen her in so many other roles. The surround effect went way over the top and a couple of times I found it quite annoying. The score was extremely effective in the film and as Jon pointed out the violin playing was a thing of beauty. I missed a really strong main title/end title but that is me I understand having grown up with this kind of score in so many films. I would be curious at some point to hear the music away from the film. It was very pleasant to see something away from the Hollywood formula of sex, foul language, violence and excessive action and special effects. This film had none of that at all just good acting to a timeless story.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!