• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2007 edited
    I didn't found a topic of this composer.

Tom's review of Atonement here:
    http://www.goldenscores.com/?a=features … &id=69
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2008
    Long and detailed interview with Marianelli about Atonement
    http://www.musicfromthemovies.com/sotw.asp?ID=106

He mentions Zbignieuw Preisners scores for Trois Couleurs: Blue and Double Vie de Véronique, and he talks about his next score for Joe Wrights new movie, using some Beethoven symphonies.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2008
    Great interview!! Thanks!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. It would have been nice to have been able to read this interview in a magazine. But, alas, looks like the magazine is R.I.P. sad
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2008 edited
    Not that anyone cares about awards anymore, but Dario just won the Golden Globe for best score for Atonement (which also won best picture)

(this was also announced in the Golden Globe thread that I didn't know existed because it was so far back on the 2nd page biggrin)
  2. That's a good interview with Marianelli.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2008
    Well then I'm glad my unnecessary post caused someone else to look at the interview cool
  3. You join the ranks of history's greatest unsung accidental heroes. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2008
    Am I the only guy who thinks Dario is Overrated?

(I found him a very cool guy in Madrid, though)
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2008 edited
    Nautilus wrote

Yes.

tongue

mc
  4. Nautilus wrote

Yes! wink

I think that most people see him as having a lot of potential for being one of the top-flight composers of the future. And that's based upon quite a solid resumé.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2008
    Yes. In fact I'm a bit surprised you'd even say that confused . The material, especially from Atonement actually has some substance and thought to it.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2008 edited
    Nautilus wrote

(I found him a very cool guy in Madrid, though)

A few months ago, i would said i was in line with you but since then, i have given a complete overall listen to most of his scores and now, i really think he's indeed one of the most promising composer. At least, he knows how to use an orchestra and well it shows on Atonement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2008
    Atonement, randomly and unexpectedly, has become one of my favorite scores of 2007, despite being quite different from the style of score usually enjoy most. Dario is awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2008 edited
    DARIO MARIANELLI - Atonement [revised view]

The whole typewriter thingy - which was my primal objection against this score - gained a lot more sense admittedly after having watched the brilliant film it accompanied, especially towards its ending where the true meaning of the typewriter is revealed. Still, i come across it as diminishing the listening experience ON CD, especially for someone who hasn't had the chance to watch the film prior and particularly when compared to beautiful compositions like "Rescue me", "Farewell", "Robbie's Note", "The Half Killed" or the totally brilliant and heartbreaking 4-minute passionate ride that is "Elegy for Dunkirk". But everything has its necessity in the film indeed; a film which Dario elevates even more and in combination with the breathtaking cinematography and stunning visuals, Atonement as a whole is a very rare audio-visual experience crossed with a very passionate and moving story and Marianelli's score is right at the very top.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2008
    Finally you got some sense in you, boy tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2008 edited
    Man, i could be listening to that 'elegy' all day and not complain the slightest! :inlove:
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2008
    Glad you liked the film and your appreciation of the score has increased. wink
    And sure, the "Elegy for Dunkirk" is a cue one could be listening for hours, more when you´ve watched the film and remember the scene it was written for.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  5. I just wish we could see whatever the original ending scene was meant to be. Marianelli remarked that after the 'Denouement' scene, there was intended to be a scene that would be accompanied by 'Atonement', which would then follow through to the end credits. The 'Cottage at the Beach' cue is a fraction too cheerful an end to the film.

It would be interesting to see what 'Robbie's Note' would play like in the film as well. That scene worked pretty well without music though.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2008
    In case you haven't noticed already, Dario will score

HIPPIE HIPPIE SHAKE

http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … shake.html

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2008 edited
    moviescore wrote
    In case you haven't noticed already, Dario will score

HIPPIE HIPPIE SHAKE

http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … shake.html

mc

That's a fun song, by the way. I have the The Swinging Blue Jeans cover version. At least we can be certain the film contains this one song.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. moviescore wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Yes.

tongue

mc

No.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2008
    Justin, have you watched ATONEMENT? Scroll some posts back and you'll understand why i ask this.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Yeah, and have you really heard all of his other scores - Brothers Grimm, Pandaemonium, In This World, Happy Now, Beyond the Gates, I Capture the Castle, Shrooms... ?

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah; highly doubt he did wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    moviescore wrote
    Yeah, and have you really heard all of his other scores - Brothers Grimm, Pandaemonium, In This World, Happy Now, Beyond the Gates, I Capture the Castle, Shrooms... ?

How is Pandaemonium like?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    From the mmuk boards:

In a two-part interview, film composer Dario Marianelli talks to Stage and Screen Online about his scores for Pride & Prejudice, V for Vendetta and in particular Atonement, for which Dario won a Golden Globe and is now nominated for an Academy Award and a Bafta.

Dario also discusses what he calls his 'past life' as a concert composer, what he loves about working in movies, and his close collaboration with director Joe Wright. There's also news of Dario's latest projects: Soloist (also with Joe Wright) and Hippy Hippy Shake (directed by Beeban Kidron). And he answers questions that were sent in by Stage and Screen Online listeners.

Hear the interview now at http://www.stageandscreenonline.com/dow … nelli.html

Subscribers (free) can also enter an exclusive competition to win signed Atonement CDs and DVDs. http://www.stageandscreenonline.com
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Bregt wrote

It's insanely beautiful. The string writing is just heartbreaking!

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2008
    moviescore wrote
    Bregt wrote

It's insanely beautiful. The string writing is just heartbreaking!

mc

me wants it!