• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2007
    Apparently there's not a topic for Patrick Doyle yet?? If I missed it feel free to get rid of this one. Anyway...I went to The Water Horse tonight and saw the trailer for Nim's Island and it looked really interesting but I couldn't remember who was doing the music...so when I got home I checked into it and discovered that Mr. Doyle was doing it. An interesting choice. It could be really good, hopefully a little more creative than The Last Legion was. This definitely goes on my list of things I'm looking forward to in 2008!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Nim's Island seemed to me like a rather mediocre family movie, although I did laugh when Jodie was in the water. "No, this is not grrrreat!" biggrin

It does surprise me Doyle is doing this, though... But I don't expect something special. Hopefully just something fun smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I can see how it might like like just an average family movie, but I love family movies (especially anything Walden Media does) so one person's mediocre could be another person's special. cool
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2008 edited
    Nanny McPhee was a family movie and that had great music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2008
    Yes! The final cue on that album, "Snow In August" is one of the prettiest things I've ever heard from Doyle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2008
    PATRICK DOYLE on "IGOR"

Igor, an animated monster comedy featuring the voices of John Cusack, Steve Buscemi and John Cleese, will get an original score by Patrick Doyle.

More info at:
    http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … -igor.html
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2008
    Yay...at least two projects for Doyle this year then smile I was just listening to all his recent fantasy scores this afternoon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2008 edited
    This was easy, so I thought I give it a quick shot to let this top three thing gain some speed. smile

1st place: Henry V. 3 points - This is how I discovered him, and he never topped that IMHO.
    2nd place: Needful Things 2 points - Very, very close to Henry, but... #2.
    3rd place: Eragon 1 point - Because of that one hell-of-an-action-track and because it´s a perfect opportunity to study what a composer can do with one theme only.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2008
    1. SHIPWRECKED aka HÃ…KON HÃ…KONSEN (a Norwegian adventure film from my childhood to which I have a strong nostalgic relationship)
    2. HENRY V
    3. INTO THE WEST
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    1) A Little Princess
    This is the score that made me a Doyle fan...the "Kindle My Heart" theme is still one of the most beautiful melodies I've ever heard. The whole score just breathes wonder and innocence and joy.

2) Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire
    Because it has two of the other best Doyle themes ever, "Harry in Winter" and "Hogwarts Hymn", and the action stuff is darn sweet.

3) Nouvelle France
    "The Reunion" is the other other best Doyle cue ever.
  1. 1: Eragon
    2: Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire
    3: Much Ado About Nothing

Quite difficult and there's not much that stands out from a solid pack of scores. It wouldn't take much for that Top 3 to change.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. 1. Hamlet
    2. Great Expectations
    3. Henry V
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    3rd place: Eragon 1 point - Because of that one hell-of-an-action-track and because it´s a perfect opportunity to study what a composer can do with one theme only.

Quip 1: I don't think someone whose only heard 2 Patrick Doyle scores should be allowed to vote.

Quip 2: Also not a bad place to study what a composer can't do with only one theme. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Quip 1: I don't think someone whose only heard 2 Patrick Doyle scores should be allowed to vote.

Funny. I think I´ve listened to Frankenstein so often that my wife at one point screamed at me to give it a rest, and I´ve listened to Hamlet more often than there are tracks on it (which means something if you look at the track list). But in the end Eragon came up higher in my ranking. And yes, there are scores below. Much ado about nothing starts nice and falls flat beyond that. I hate what he did to Potter. I love the songs from Quest of Camelot more than the score stuff. Last legion has some interesting stuff in it, but then again, Eragon is better. So please be joking or shut up. wink

Quip 2: Also not a bad place to study what a composer can't do with only one theme. wink

I´ll give you that. But it´s a beautiful theme in the end, and that action track STILL is Doyle´s best track ever.
  4. I'm nearly always joking. Except when I'm right. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    I'm nearly always joking. Except when I'm right. wink

Much though it pains me to admit it, you're right most of the time.

Anyway, top three Doyle:

Hamlet
    Great Expectations
    Nouvelle France
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    People like Hamlet? I always thought it was a weak point in his career and never bothered to buy it. But then I was basing that mostly off of Clemmensen's review........
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    1. NOUVELLE FRANCE
    2. WAH-WAH
    3. and the criminally-underrated CARLITO'S WAY
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I'm nearly always joking. Except when I'm right. wink

Much though it pains me to admit it, you're right most of the time.

Is that a nice way of saying I'm painfully unfunny most of the time?

Scribe wrote
    People like Hamlet? I always thought it was a weak point in his career and never bothered to buy it. But then I was basing that mostly off of Clemmensen's review........

Then you probably also dislike Elliot Goldenthal without any good reason, and would prefer a mediocre low-key Horner score to any of Goldenthal's fine work. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    franz_conrad wrote
    Scribe wrote

Then you probably also dislike Elliot Goldenthal without any good reason, and would prefer a mediocre low-key Horner score to any of Goldenthal's fine work. wink

Actually I think Goldenthal is quite talented. I struggle with his lack of melodicism, but I'm sure with time I'll be quite a fan. That reminds me that I need to listen to Final Fantasy again, on the latest and greatest version of my sound system, LOUDLY.
  6. First update. There will be some changes during the next days I guess...

1st place: Henry V. / Nouvelle France 6 points each
    2nd place: Hamlet 5 points

Eragon / Great Expectations / Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 4 points each
    A Little Princess / Shipwrecked 3 points each
    Needful Things / Wah-Wah 2 points each
    Carlito´s Way / Into the West / Much Ado about Nothing 1 point each
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    1. Nouvelle France
    2. Henry V
    3. A Little Princess
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2008
    1. Much Ado About Nothing
    2. Henry V
    3. Une femme francaise

mc
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2008
    Scribe wrote

Actually I think Goldenthal is quite talented. I struggle with his lack of melodicism, but I'm sure with time I'll be quite a fan. That reminds me that I need to listen to Final Fantasy again, on the latest and greatest version of my sound system, LOUDLY.

Well, his Batman scores were very melodical, if rather varied and schzophrenic at times. B&R was much better IMO.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2008
    1. MARY SHELLEY'S FRANKENSTEIN
    2. NEEDFULL THINGS
    3. HENRY V
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2008
    1) Henry V
    2) Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire
    3) Carlito's Way

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. From now on, please continue to vote here:

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … ree-scores
  8. Thanks!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2008
    NIM'S ISLAND
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed by Patrick Doyle

Jodie Foster
    Abigail Breslin
    Gerard Butler

Anything can happen on NIM’S ISLAND, a magical place ruled by a young girl's imagination. On this lush tropical isle, free-spirited NIM (Abigail Breslin) spends her days helping her scientist father with his marine research and playing with her wild animal friends. But Nim’s biggest passion of all is reading books — especially those about her favorite hero, ALEX ROVER (Gerard Butler), the world's greatest adventurer, who leads the sort of endlessly exciting, fearless life to which Nim aspires.

When Nim's father goes missing from the island, leaving her all alone, a twist of fate brings her together, via computer, with the author of the Alex Rover novels. Much to Nim’s surprise, Alex turns out to be ALEXANDRA (Jodie Foster), a reclusive woman living in the big city who hasn't so much as left her house in years! Now, as a huge storm brews in the ocean and Nim discovers her father is headed for disaster, she reaches out to Alexandra for rescue. Together, they will have to draw on the courage of fictional Alex Rover to carry out a very real adventure — one that will give both Nim and Alexandra each a chance to become the person she always wanted to be as they endeavor to conquer NIM’S ISLAND.

20th Century Fox and Walden Media open NIM’S ISLAND nationwide on April 4, 2008.

Catalog #: 302 066 889 2
    Release Date: 04/01/08
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2008
    Secondhand Lions is a solid entry from Doyle.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.