• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2012
    There are two types of people in the world who don't wince at the mere thought of bagpipes - the Scots and the deaf.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I certainly cannot take much but in the right context ( ie: a context I like ) I do like them, the brief use in John Barry's MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS and the even briefer use by James Horner in WRATH OF KHAN spring to mind cool wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think the pipes are AWESOME in Brave!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    I certainly cannot take much but in the right context ( ie: a context I like ) I do like them, the brief use in John Barry's MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS and the even briefer use by James Horner in WRATH OF KHAN spring to mind cool wink

The briefer the better when it comes to bagpipes!

But I do like them in those two scores too.
  1. Southall wrote
    There are two types of people in the world who don't wince at the mere thought of bagpipes - the Scots and the deaf.

Pardon?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  2. What if I'm neither? (Hey, I do like The Thin Red Line and Goldsmith and Morricone and all!) I really like bagpipes, though more the Irish sort.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2012
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2012
  3. I wonder which pipes (and why!) did he use in Patriot Games (which includes one of my all-time favourite Horner main title cues).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Bagpipes are difficult to integrate with proper music and a proper orchestra. Didn't Horner have difficulty in integrating them both in the "Amazing Grace" piece in Star Trek?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. How so difficult? in Star Trek II, the pipes are playing solo, and the orchestra takes over after a couple of seconds.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. It is something to do with the segue from the pipes into the orchestra. I don't know the details but I think that it had something to do with the limited range of the bagpipes that did not sit well with the transition into the orchestra.

Someone help me out on this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2012
    If only we had a Scot here to help us out!
  7. Southall wrote
    If only we had a Scot here to help us out!

:kilt:

Still none the wiser though.
  8. Didn't Horner integrate bagpipes perfectly into Braveheart or Titanic? Or are those some other kind of pipes?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2012
    I absolutely love the sound of bagpipes, especially in a semi-military tattoo-ish setting (with drums) or indeed in a more orchestral setting.

As far as I know there's absolutely no problem in integrating bagpipes into an orchestra or band.

The only problem is with exisiting music: the bagpipes have a limited range and so it's very hard to play any music not specifically written or arranged for bagpipes. Oh, and the actual volume the pipes produce is deafening (literally!), so the placement in the band/orchestra is quite crucial.
    Otherwise, I wouldn't know why integrating bagpipes would be an issue.

Incidentally, I really enjoy Brave.
    Not too keen on the songs, though.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. Martijn wrote
    Incidentally, I really enjoy Brave.
    Not too keen on the songs, though.

Me too!
  10. By the way, I recently listened to a non-score work by Doyle: his symphonic and choral 'The Thistle and the Rose'. What a beauty! I leave you a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toOY7ny-y48
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2012
    Saw Brave, finally, last night. What a fantastic movie, marvellous from start to finish but i still don't like the score at all; after watching the film my appreciation for the score became even less.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  11. Demetris wrote
    Saw Brave, finally, last night. What a fantastic movie, marvellous from start to finish but i still don't like the score at all; after watching the film my appreciation for the score became even less.

looking forward to see it, and considering I haven't heard the score yet, I'll pay special close attention to it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2013
    Concert Program for

"The Music of Patrick Doyle"
    Performed by the 21st Century Symphony Orchestra, the 21st Century Chorus and the Boys Choir Lucerne
    Ludwig Wicki, conductor

Saturday, 9 March 2013, 7.30pm
    Concert Hall, KKL Luzern

6.30pm: Pre-Concert Talk with Patrick Doyle and music from "Sleuth" (2007)

7.30pm: The Music of Patrick Doyle

«Much Ado About Nothing» (1993)
    Ouverture

«Henry V» (1989)
    Saint Crispin's Day
    The Wooing of Katherine
    Non Nobis Domine

«Sense & Sensibility» (1995)
    Throw the Coins

«Great Expectations» (1998)
    Estella’s Theme - End Credits

«Indochine» (1992)
    The Procession
    The Funeral
    Elaine finds Camille

«Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein» (1994)
    To Think of a Story
    Life is Life
    The Creation
    What have I done
    The Wedding Night
    He was my Father / Home

----- INTERMISSION -----

«Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire» (2005)
    Foreign Visitors Arrive
    The Goblet of Fire
    Golden Egg
    Harry’s Love Theme
    The Black Lake
    Voldemort

«A Little Princess» (1995)
    Angel Wings
    Crewe and the Soldier
    The Attic
    On Anothers Sorrow
    Tyger, Tyger
    Compassion
    For the Princess
    Kindle my Heart
    Papa!

«Brave» (2012)
    Suite

Tickets: http://www.kkl-luzern.ch/navigation/top … eOID=20101
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2013
    Has anyone seen the new Doyle release coming up? A VERY intriguing concept album thingie called "Impressions of America".

Check it out:

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/ … -Of/Detail
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Wow, that sounds like it could be really great. Thanks, Thor.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2013
    I'm definitely interested. I'm all for composers being released from the restrictive confines of film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    As long as it doesn't end up like Treesong :P
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote

What was Treesong?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote

What was Treesong?

A John Williams tone poem for violin, written in 2000 for violinist Gil Shaham. I think it's a beautiful piece myself, and don't understand what issue Scribe has with it.

By the way, I think the Doyle album is right up your alley, Timmer. It even has tracks for various natural wonders, parks and mountains of the great country.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thor wrote
    A John Williams tone poem for violin, written in 2000 for violinist Gil Shaham. I think it's a beautiful piece myself, and don't understand what issue Scribe has with it.

I would enjoy Treesong if it was written by some random composer.
    But it's John Williams writing to appease idiots (those in the classical music world who don't like his film compositions) rather than being himself. The man is capable of writing something that would make Copland's Appalachian Spring look like a student project, but no one will support or encourage him in such a project because it's just not cool to write uplifting music anymore.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2013 edited
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote

What was Treesong?

By the way, I think the Doyle album is right up your alley, Timmer. It even has tracks for various natural wonders, parks and mountains of the great country.

Of course it is, I didn't put my grey matter in gear. I agree, it's a lovely piece.

Have you heard Doyle's album Thor? The track titles are indeed very enticing.