• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Matt C wrote
    Well, Kenneth Branagh is in negotiations to direct Thor for Marvel Studios, so unless Marvel says otherwise, this will be Doyle's first venture into superhero territory.

I'm not sure if he can pull it off, though.

not pull it off?
    Listen to Frankenstein and the brass will change your mind bud wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2008
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799 … 3&cs=1
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Here's my review of IGOR, for your reading pleasure smile

http://www.moviemusicuk.us/igorcd.htm
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2008 edited
    My review of Doyle's Eragon:

" A score its film just doesn't live up to. "

The 2006 failure known as Eragon is not altogether a failure, as evidenced by Patrick Doyle's thrilling score. An excellent work of film scoring, the atmospheric, adventurous, bombastic Eragon is something wonderful to behold. The film could have been a success, the next fantasy franchise to smash the box office, break records, and be everything The Lord of the Rings was several years back. Unfortunately, the screenwriters didn't have a clue how to successfully and correctly adapt a book into a film, and the resulting movie was loathed by fans of the novel everywhere.

Patrick Doyle's score, however, did not follow suit. The music of Eragon is excellent, presented in a wonderful album (with a great cover!), which comprises a good listening experience for the fans of the film or novel. Not only does this music fit the film well, but carries the musical soundscape one would expect to find when reading the original novel.

Doyle paints the land of Alagaesia with notes on a musical staff like a paintbrush on a canvas, weaving together a coherent, likable auditory environment, similar to those of The Lord of the Rings or The Chronicles of Narnia, but noticeably darker than the latter. The soundtrack is begun with a bombastic theme in a major key (Eragon), followed by tracks of sadness and joy (Roran Leaves, Saphira's First Flight) before shifting into a darker, wilder setting (Ra'zac, Burning Farm, Fortune Teller).

Then, we are refamiliarized with the main theme in its bombastic setting (If You Were Flying), before the soundtrack plunges back into darkness (Brom's Story, Durza), followed by a brief glimmer of hope (Passing the Flame), and then, the major event of the score, the stereotypical fantasy battle, in a style so different from that which has been previously established, that it could easily be from an entirely different score and fantastical world (Battle for Varden). After the battle, this wild beast of a score calms down, growing overall quiet and reflective (Together, Saphira Returns), before the work closes in triumphant, climactic trumpet calls (The Legend of Eragon).

As a score, Eragon has a lot to offer. It complements the movie nicely, sounds fantastic, has some good themes established early on and makes good use of them as the work progresses. However, if you're looking for John Williams or Jerry Goldsmith, you're looking in the wrong place. This score is not about creating and developing memorable themes which will be hummed by people thirty years from now, but rather about successfully following and accompanying the story of Eragon the young farm boy (Luke Skywalker, anyone?) on his journey to becoming a great Dragon Rider. This, it does fantastically, and Mr. Doyle is to be commended for this splendid work of film scoring! Bravo!
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2009
    An interview with Doyle on the site Cinezik.

Scroll down at the bottom to watch the video.

http://www.cinezik.org/compositeurs/ind … nt20081216
  3. "Thor" to begin shooting January 2010, and Kenneth Branagh is still doing it. Doyle has scored about half the movies Kenneth Branagh has directed.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. Hasn't he done all the films that had scores?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. Not according to IMDB.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. franz_conrad wrote
    Hasn't he done all the films that had scores?

Doyle DID score all of Branagh's movies.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. PawelStroinski wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Hasn't he done all the films that had scores?

Doyle DID score all of Branagh's movies.

Excluding "The Magic Flute" which was not a film per se, IMDB shows these Kenneth Branagh directed movies not done by Doyle:

"In the Bleak Midwinter" -- Jimmy Yuill
    "Peter's Friends" (might just be re-used music from various sources)
    "Swan Song" -- Jimmy Yuill

And a short film which he may also not have scored.
  8. Yay Patrick Doyle finally gets a place on our site smile
    Enjoy yourselves with the following beauties:

- Carlito's Way
    - Eragon
    - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    - Henry V
    - A Little Princess
    - Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
    - Needful Things
    - Nouve France
    - Secondhand Lions
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009
    Eragon! Excellent! punk
  9. DemonStar wrote
    Eragon! Excellent! punk

That's William's review, but I would given it the same rating, he just wrote a better review smile
  10. I so agree with your thoughts bud, early Doyle is stunning.

Carlito's Way, Henry V, A Little Princess, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Needful Things.

Good scores. beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I agree with the list too; Isn't it NOUVELLE FRANCE btw? A definite must-have, one of his most overlooked, grand scale gems with lush themes. And Frankenstein is truly a masterpiece from note 1 to end.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Secondhand Lions is a real fun listen. Great themes as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Eragon! Excellent! punk

That's William's review, but I would given it the same rating, he just wrote a better review smile

Thanks a lot, Thomas! That's very kind of you! And thanks again for hosting yet another review of mine. beer
  11. William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Eragon! Excellent! punk

Thanks a lot, Thomas! That's very kind of you! And thanks again for hosting yet another review of mine. beer

no problem, happy to be of service
    now off to correct some more reviews, so that I can upload another batch of reviews for the next update smile

pfff, will my life get any easier? shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    now off to correct some more reviews, so that I can upload another batch of reviews for the next update smile

And when will the next update be? smile
  12. William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

I haven't got a clue, depends on which composer. A big composer means many reviews means tooooooooo much time to upload it

Ah, gonna throw some one time reviews in here as well, and reviews "not by me" as well of course smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2009 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

I haven't got a clue, depends on which composer. A big composer means many reviews means tooooooooo much time to upload it

Ah, gonna throw some one time reviews in here as well, and reviews "not by me" as well of course smile

OK. Well, take all the time you need. We're not going anywhere. (At least I'm not.) smile
  13. William wrote
    OK. Well, take all the time you need. We're not going anywhere. (At least I'm not.) smile

I'm not going anywhere at all dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010
    Maggie Redford, producer for Patrick Doyle, has said that Moviescore Media is about to published the unreleased score from Regis Wargnier's 2005 movie Man to Man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010
    Tintin wrote
    Maggie Redford, producer for Patrick Doyle, has said that Moviescore Media is about to published the unreleased score from Regis Wargnier's 2005 movie Man to Man.

Wow, that's really good news! That movie has amazing music!
  14. Tintin wrote

never heard of that, what kind of style is it?
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2010
    I never seen the film. It is with Joseph Fiennes and Kristin Scott Thomas. An epic about anthropologists who hunt and capture pygmies for study back in Europe, in an attempt to illustrate the link between man and ape.

Some reviews here:
    www.imdb.com/title/tt0397530/usercomments
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2010 edited
    I notice that Patrick Doyle is attached to score Main Street on IMDB. Can anyone confirm/deny his involvement with the movie? It was shot in my home town, and there was a lot of local media coverage because Orlando Bloom and Colin Firth were in it.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  15. Reported back in August of last year:

http://moviescoremagazine.com/2009/08/p … e-feature/
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2010
    Oh, silly me. I hope it finds a distributor then, and that Doyle's score gets a commercial release. I'd love to hear it.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2010
    NEW PROJECTS: SIR BILLI (animated adventure) and the drama MAIN STREET.

More info here: http://scoremagacine.blogspot.com/2010/ … mated.html and over at the filmmusicreporter.