• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Mikeal's site reported "Main Street" in August of last year. In fact, see a few posts above.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010
    Thanks to Marselus who posted the Ubeda link elsewhere.

CORASIK

This is a one cue digital release that is available now at the itunes site and probably at amazon also.

Doyle composed this 6 minutes and a half cue for his friend Emma Thompson. An impressionist tapestry for orchestra and solo violin. Pure bliss.

It is well worth the 99 cents.

Here is a glimpse of the rehearsal at the Ubeda film festival last july.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ziF3_zWMjE
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010
    And don't miss this one biggrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBHzgzpZ … re=related
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2010
    How's East - West then? I've heard pretty good off the review websites.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2010
    KevinSmith wrote

I love it. Some wonderful piano flourishes by the one and only Emmanuel Ax. Doyle is always on/off with me, but that one is definitely ON.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2010
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

I love it. Some wonderful piano flourishes by the one and only Emmanuel Ax. Doyle is always on/off with me, but that one is definitely ON.

Agree with every word!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2010 edited
    So here we have the reason why Patrick Doyle couldn't come to Ubeda:

http://www.movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=thor

So... is this really Kenneth 'Shakespeare' Branagh's doing? And why does it look like the perverse lovechild of Transformers and Beowulf? Wasn't this thing supposed to be an ancient myth? (and is that really Tony, or did they CGI him in?). There are some marvelous moments in it, though (mainly involving Natalie.... mmmmm, Portman), but overall, I really expected more from it.

Still, Natalee... mmmm.... is she up for internet dating?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2010 edited
    BobdH wrote

this

I knew it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2010 edited
    biggrin

Actually, to be accurate, it's his mom. Can't blame the boy for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2010
    BobdH wrote

So... is this really Kenneth 'Shakespeare' Branagh's doing? And why does it look like the perverse lovechild of Transformers and Beowulf? Wasn't this thing supposed to be an ancient myth? (and is that really Tony, or did they CGI him in?). There are some marvelous moments in it, though (mainly involving Natalie.... mmmmm, Portman), but overall, I really expected more from it.

Yeah, I expected more fidelity towards the Norse mythology too, but I am not really that familiar with the American comic book version on which it is based, so I'll refrain from commenting on that aspect.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    BobdH wrote

Yeah, I expected more fidelity towards the Norse mythology too, but I am not really that familiar with the American comic book version on which it is based, so I'll refrain from commenting on that aspect.

You really have to drop it, Thor, this whole thing is based on the Marvel mythology which is loosely based on the Norse.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Well, Branagh recently said he wanted to combine the historic quality with the sic-fi in a way that made sense and that was still very true to the essence and feel of the Norse myth. Kinda missing that in this first look... but we'll wait and see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2010
    THOR teaser poster and if i am not mistaken, Doyle's scoring it?

http://www.empireonline.com/images/uplo … poster.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Yes, he is. It was the reason he couldn't make it to Ubeda this year.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Now that's a score I look forward to.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    My personal favourite is Indochine.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Word.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2010 edited
    I don´t, just to be on the safe side. If it actually works out, I´m sure I´ll enjoy it. Until then, I won´t hold my breath. I have a very clear idea where this score will be going if Doyle´s doing it, and I´m not sure I want to follow him there. A shame, though. I think, of all Marvel movies, Thor especially needs a composer who is a lot more versatile than Doyle. JNH would have been perfect, Zimmer would have nailed it (even if slightly over the top), Trevor Jones in Dark Crystal or Merlin mode would have been a real blessing, but Doyle really needs to outdo himself to actually be of any help to this movie.

If he manages to change his usual orchestrations a bit for the epic parts and composes some action stuff that resembles the battle in Eragon, we might get a nice score in the end. If he doesn´t, well, there´s that.
  2. Yes, he is. It was the reason he couldn't make it to Ubeda this year

Is that opinion, or did Doyle actually say that? I've found no confirmation* he's actually working on that score.

* = Wikipedia and IMDB are not confirmation.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2010 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    Yes, he is. It was the reason he couldn't make it to Ubeda this year

Is that opinion, or did Doyle actually say that? I've found no confirmation* he's actually working on that score. Wikipedia and IMDB are not confirmation.

I believe it was actually the reason Ubeda cited for his absence, but I don't know if the others can back this up?
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    THOR teaser poster and if i am not mistaken, Doyle's scoring it?

http://www.empireonline.com/images/uplo … poster.jpg

We can put this speculation to rest now. On the official Thor movie site, there's a cast & crew listing at the bottom of the page -- confirming Doyle's involvement. Although this looks like a definite challenge for Doyle -- he's done big-budget blockbuster pics, but not a superhero film or anything mythology-related.

http://thor.marvel.com/
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  3. Timmer wrote

if it sounds anything like Mary Shelleys Frankenstein or Eragon, then I'm sold smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2010
    It must be BETTER than those!
  4. But Frankenstein is already insanely good! I would give a part of my body to have something like Frankenstein II.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    But Frankenstein is already insanely good! I would give a part of my body to have something like Frankenstein II.

Frankenstein? Compared to a Norse God!? Pah!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    DreamTheater wrote
    But Frankenstein is already insanely good! I would give a part of my body to have something like Frankenstein II.

Ah, good, that means I don't have to do that anymore... But, yes, FRANKENSTEIN rules! Big time! No way Doyle will ever surpass that effort, but he's welcome to have a try!
  5. BobdH wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Ah, good, that means I don't have to do that anymore... But, yes, FRANKENSTEIN rules! Big time! No way Doyle will ever surpass that effort, but he's welcome to have a try!

I was first dissapointed when I heard Eragon and The Last Legion, but then I started to compare it with the other adventure music and I came to the conclusion that Patrick Doyle is still a master in epic writing.

So, even if it may be weaker than Frankenstein, it will kick ass nonetheless
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. The Last Legion isn't as strong as Eragon isn't as strong as Frankenstein isn't as strong as Henry V.

Phffewww, need to catch my breath...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2010
    True, indeed. It's enjoyable, but not up there.
  7. One I've always liked of Doyle is Needful Things. Apparently the score is miles better than the film. I would put it between Eragon and Frankenstein actually. Some wonderful ambient writing in that one.