• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    This film looks utterly, horribly bad. Thor falls from the skies onto american hip teenagers. Fuck me.

It's Beastmaster 2 meets Masters of the Universe!

-Erik-

Is that the best case scenerio Erik? wink

I'm not that knowledgeable with the Thor mythos but the way D described it the first two films that popped into my mind were the ones above. Both films are utter shit so Thor doesn't stand a chance. wink However those two films do have awesome scores.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2011
    I haven't seen either of those two films in a very long time ( and ONLY the once at that ) but I do remember being entertained by them, perhaps it helps to know both are shit beforehand leading to no expectations.

I want to see THOR but it can wait until the DVD release.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I have NO knowledge whatsoever about Thor, but I was under the impression that, to be a part of the Avengers, he HAS to come down to Earth at some point, doesn´t he? Do the Thor comics play in Asgard only? How does he become a member of the team in the comics?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's long and convoluted. He was one of the original founding members of The Avengers which consisted of Thor, Ant Man, The Wasp, Iron Man and The Hulk. Captain America joined a little bit later.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. But I think it´s safe to assume that the Avenger comics are set on Earth?

The only Marvel comics I read were some german editions of early Spider-Man comics in my youth, so I watched all those Marvel movies in the recent decade or so with zero knowledge and expectations, but lots of hope for popcorn fun. Some were good, some... not so much.

Iron Man was easily the best of the whole bunch, due to Robert Downey Jr. playing the role he obviously was born for. And I really love that build-up to the Avengers movie, so, given all that, I´m much more forgiving at details.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    At least that saves you from being fanboy geeky complaining at what they got "wrong" wink

The Avengers are indeed based on Earth and funded by multi-billionaire Tony Stark aka Iron Man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2011 edited
    Oh, okay. So SHIELD was basically created/funded by Howard Stark originally? Or is that a movie rewrite?

(Sorry for asking such stuff at this place. I could google it, of course, but since we´re already on it...)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You're stretching me now because I've been out of the comics loop for a long time. I don't remember reading anything about an Howard Stark in the 1960's-70's-80's comics but that could all have changed with the re-boots and re-imaginigs that periodically happen in the comics industry, either that or it's an invention of the film writers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's not so much about Thor coming to earth it's the lame teenagers he meets. It becomes more about pop culture jokes (ins't there are retarded Facebook joke in the trailer? Fuck... shoot me now! suicide ) and other annoying shit! Sort of like Encino Man!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    It's not so much about Thor coming to earth it's the lame teenagers he meets. It becomes more about pop culture jokes (ins't there are retarded Facebook joke in the trailer? Fuck... shoot me now! suicide ) and other annoying shit! Sort of like Encino Man!

-Erik-

Word. Let's face it. It tries to be hype and modern and talk to the target audience: teens. Nothing more than that. Other than the commercial value (box office echoe) it's rubbish. The more i look at the trailer (forced on me each time i visited the cinema during the last month (and it's been many)) the more disgusted i get about this project.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011
    I cannot believe Kenneth Branagh has made this. I cannot believe the studio ever thought it was a good idea to let Kenneth Branagh make this. Have they ever seen any of his films?
  3. It's a courageous move, as Sir Humphrey would say, but they give Ang Lee the Hulk as well. And let's not forget -- they're actually making a movie of Thor in the first place. One gamble deserves another.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011
    Branagh's not really in Lee's league (apart from Shakespeare!) though, is he? And Lee's Hulk film wasn't very successful, was it?

I could watch Branagh act all day and night - but has anything he's directed other than Shakespeare been any good?
  4. I've never seen Peter's Friends. Sleuth wasn't bad, but that's not quite the same as being good. In the Bleak Midwinter is ok, but that's about people trying to stage a production of Hamlet, so it doesn't dodge Shakespeare entirely...

Sorry, there I go proving your point and all. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. People? Did anybody watched the full movie?We mustn't be fooled by the trailers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011 edited
    Alright smart ass, does THIS look awesome?

BTW, the answer is NO!

And while we are at it... remember THIS... yeah, blew us away huh? But then we saw the film. suicide

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2011
    Thor: *****. Could've used a better choral mix, but boy, what a ride!

La Ligne Droite: *****½. Score of the Year so far...

wink

Discuss.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    And while we are at it... remember THIS... yeah, blew us away huh? But then we saw the film. suicide
    -Erik-

Oh wow yes...I remember seeing this when I was 13. Whoever put together that trailer understands how to create drama a whole lot better than Lucas does!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    ChrK wrote
    La Ligne Droite: *****½. Score of the Year so far...

Yay someone agrees with my score of the year opinion for once! beer
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think La Ligne Droite's album presentation is pants. There is some lovely music in there for sure but I can only take roughly 15 minutes of it before I have to turn it off. It's so repetitive.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yonythemoony wrote
    People? Did anybody watched the full movie?We mustn't be fooled by the trailers.

I thought the film was excellent! Best fun I've had at the cinema for ages, Erik's examples were wayyyyyy off!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik's examples were wayyyyyy off!

I'm happy to hear that!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik's examples were wayyyyyy off!

I'm happy to hear that!

-Erik-

I did think though, that you would probably be proved right.

I'm glad I went to see it on the big screen, as I said, GREAT fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    I think La Ligne Droite's album presentation is pants. There is some lovely music in there for sure but I can only take roughly 15 minutes of it before I have to turn it off. It's so repetitive.

-Erik-

Same here, managed to get through 3 listens (complete). Big win.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2011
    Suit yourselves. I haven't anything so far this year that gives me that much enjoyment; I connected with the score's approach immediately and each and every Doyle-ism in it was used to great effect. I've only had this score for two weeks, but it's been playing every day since.

CK
  6. Timmer wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    People? Did anybody watched the full movie?We mustn't be fooled by the trailers.

I thought the film was excellent! Best fun I've had at the cinema for ages, Erik's examples were wayyyyyy off!

Great. I enjoyed it too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2011 edited
    Since people said, a while ago, that Trevor Rabin had replaced Patrick Doyle on Rise of the Planet of the Apes, do we all know again this is not true? For example, Varese has on their website the announcement of the release of the soundtrack:

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

Music Composed by
    Patrick Doyle
    (Thor, Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire, Henry V)

An origin story in the true sense of the word, RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES is set in present day San Francisco. Starring James Franco, Freida Pinto (Slumdog Millionaire), John Lithgow, Andy Serkis (Lord Of The RIngs) and Brian Cox, the film is a reality-based cautionary tale — a science fiction/science-fact blend where mankind's hubris leads to the development of intelligence in apes and the onset of a war for supremacy. A single act of both compassion and arrogance leads to a war unlike any other — and to the RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES.

The Oscar-winning visual effects team that brought to life the worlds of Avatar and Lord of the Rings is breaking new ground, creating a CGI ape that delivers a dramatic performance of unprecedented emotion and intelligence, and epic battles on which rest the upended destinies of man and primate.

Patrick Doyle, riding high with the score for THOR, chalks up another summer blockbuster.

20th Century Fox opens RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES nationwide on August 5.

...and IMDb notes Doyle as the composer. So all is back to normal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2011
    BobdH wrote
    ... do we all know again this is not true? ...

...and IMDb notes Doyle as the composer. So all is back to normal.

biggrin
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2011
    time to bring back the ol' hype wheel

wave spin
  7. Well, Rabin replacing Doyle was always a rumor. Nothing was confirmed.