• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Yes, it was a rumor I brought up, and thankfully somebody here said they saked Rabin himself, and he said he wasn't, so: cleared up. That was a about three weeks ago cleared up, I believe.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011
    Doyle's score for Apes will be the highlight of the film, barring WETA's high-quality CGI shots. It looks like pure crap.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2011
    God god, No. Please

http://www.varesesarabande.com/media/03 … 39a4_l.jpg
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Demetris, there should have much more of a warning to anyone considering viewing that image.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he...somehow, I doubt you ol' geezers are in the target audience for that.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Oh dear.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    My heart skipped a beat and not in the good, Desplat way.
  4. Have you seen the trailer? This movie looks great, to me. It's a documentary about an Irish dance competition. It reminds me about another doc. I saw that I think was called Strictly Ballroom, maybe. Watching kids in a dance competition is just fun, I think. I'm guessing most of this film will be watching people dance to music Doyle did not write. It makes me wonder what his contribution will be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kids in make up and dancing, posing, fashion-ing is plain vomit material for me i am afraid.
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    Kids in make up and dancing, posing, fashion-ing is plain vomit material for me i am afraid.

Agreed.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. Three samples from his APES score:
    http://www.colosseum.de/product_info.ph … vkslb045e1

The second two were okay, but the first, to me, was aweful.
  7. I am interested to hear how he has approached this score. Will listen when I next get the chance.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. At FSM someone said it is up on iTunes now.
  9. Maybe US iTunes. I will check it out later. Cheers.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Demetris, there should have much more of a warning to anyone considering viewing that image.

What's the image Alan? With my PC on the brink I dare not click.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  10. A couple of youngsters doing a pastel coloured laden Riverdance with grins you'd want to punch out. From what I remember.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2011
    Ahhh! Then I have no need to see it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. Timmer wrote
    Ahhh! Then I have no need to see it.

I had no need to see it either.
  12. A commentary from FSM about Rise of the Planet of the Apes:

First impression: A solid, thematically-driven score. This feels like an album that will take multiple listens to fully appreciate. The Coliseum clips are a good representation of the score. The strongest material in the score, in my opinion are the mournful/emotional cues (eg. Caesar's Home) for what I guess are the James Fraco-Caesar relationship or a relationship between what looks from the trailer to be Caesar and his love interest. Thankfully, these cues make up a substantial portion of the album. The action material is decent enough, but very much in the vein of Thor with chugging Zimmeresque string ostantinos driving things.

The score also includes a real African choir, though the choir appears in the score on disc only briefly at the end of some cues. Doyle mentions using some interesting effects such as ape sounds and cage slams, but these don't stand out in cues as being particularly different than the usual synth percussion used in Zimmer et al's work. The most interesting of these touches is an ostrich egg that is used to play Caesar's theme in some cues and sounds something like a cross between a theremin and a wordless female vocalist. Also, there is a bracing alarm sound (used prominently in the last theatrical trailer as the apes escape) that enters the score briefly in one cue.

Overall, it's quite an entertaining score. It's nowhere near the level of Goldsmith's classic but that kind of score wouldn't be appropriate for this film by the sounds of things. It compares favorably with Elfman's POTA remake score (one of my favorite Elfman-Burton scores) and is leagues above most summer blockbuster scores that come out these days. With this and Captain America, it's really nice to see some of the film scoring veterans get a chance to show their stuff in the summer blockbuster category.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2011
    I'm just listening to Doyle's Planet of the Apes for the first time. What happened to his previously great style... It's barely discernable anymore. And it's so sad he's having to sell out to the Zimmer sound in order to get the big assignments.
  13. Well, unlike Thor, this one has a much more organic sound. And the electronic have a purpose. Doyle says in the liner notes:

"Composing the score for Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes was both fascinating and challenging. There were many aspects of the drama that the score needed to address.
    The opening music incorporating the main theme was very important in establishing the West African world where Caesar's mother originated and subsequently this theme resonates throughout the score.

Caesar's theme actually came to me during a late spotting session with the filmmakers and everyone was so enthusiastic when they heard it that I sang it there and then into an iPhone! Caesar's theme was captured with great effect by an ostrich egg exquisitely played by Pedro Eustache and a wonderful group of African singers inspired many eclectic vocal effects.

The use of electronics and motor figures in the early part of the score helps in conjuring the world of science as well as the sense of 'time' ticking by as Will fights his father's illness.
    It was also important not to play the young Caesar too soft early in the story but to give him at all times a sense of strong destiny.

The music during the imprisonment of Caesar had a particular role in helping the audience to understand the communication between the apenas who use only a little sign language.
    I will be eternally grateful for the ape sounds given to me by Chuck Michael early on.

One of the ape cries was the inspiration for an action motif that is used repeatedly. Chuck also provided cage slams that became very effective percussion hits. We in turn gave him some vocals that we recorded which he used to great effect".

Also, he co-orchestrated the score.
  14. Blu-Ray feature about the score:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_k84v8hTgc
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2011
    Rise of the planet of the apes...

Boy this is bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    But its ear candy and its 1000x better than Green Lantern...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ear candy? How? smile Plus the fact that it's better than a horrible score, doesn't say much to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    In the sense that we'd rather stick candy in our ears than that crap! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    I haven't listened to much Doyle. What's his best work(s) in your opinion?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HENRY V, HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE, DEAD AGAIN, MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING, FRANKENSTEIN.

That should be enough to go on with for now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Mine are HENRY V, SHIPWRECKED, INTO THE WEST, HP4, MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING and CARLITO'S WAY.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ear candy? How? smile Plus the fact that it's better than a horrible score, doesn't say much to me.

Its just nice, pleasant, predictable background music, with plenty of Doyle's trademark uplifting chords. So its fun to listen to even if it has no depth or creativity.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!