• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2008
    I don't have Secondhand Lions yet, but it's on my list of things to buy when I have extra money that I'm not spending on new releases...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. I know, it's so hard, the list keeps getting longer and more new soundtracks come out. I don't know if we'll ever be able to catch up! smile
    • CommentAuthorpolitik
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2008
    I'm not that familiar with Patrick Doyle's work, but I have to say that "Great Expectations" is simply amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Politik,

I'd deeply advice

NOUVELLE FRANCE
    WAH-WAH
    HAMLET

and even
    ERAGON
    THE LAST LEGION
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    I agree with Demetris on Nouvelle-France and Wah-Wah. I havent heard Hamlet yet.

However, i would remain cautious about Eragon and The Last Legion, a listen or two are recommanded as you might not like them.
  2. Of the 5 Demetris listed, I'd personally recommend Eragon / The Last Legion followed by Nouvelle-France.

NP: "The Mystic's Dream" - The Mists of Avalon - Lee Holdridge
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2008
    Composer Patrick Doyle recently recorded his score to Nim's Island at the Sony Scoring Stage, marking the first time in a decade that the award-winning composer has scored a film in Los Angeles! ScoringSessions.com was there, and we're delighted to bring you exclusive photos from this monumental scoring session!

http://www.scoringsessions.com/news/125/

Enjoy!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2008 edited
    Thx a lot Dan!
    Eager to hear this one.
    Especially the fact he used a 57 piece orchestra which apparently sounds like a 90.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2008
    CD COVER
    http://www.varesesarabande.com/details. … %2D889%2D2

TRACKLISTING

Catalog #: 302 066 889 2
    Release Date: 04/08/08

1. Nim’s Island (3:57)
    2. Baby Turtles (2:44)
    3. Galileo Helps Jack (4:11)
    4. Volcano & Door (3:28 )
    5. Buccaneer Ship (2:46)
    6. Become The Hero (5:43)
    7. The Great Outdoors (1:48 )
    8. Airport, Whale (3:09)
    9. Lizard Attack (3:45)
    10. Volcano Erupts (5:10)
    11. Helicopter Storm (1:42)
    12. Woman Overboard (3:42)
    13. Alex Nearly Drowns (2:43)
    14. Alex Swims Away (3:17)
    15. It’s Empty (2:28 )
    16. Nim Sees Jack (2:22)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    They used "Stargate' for the trailer of Nim's Island.

Hope Doyle's score could match that...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2008
    Well Nim's Island is anything but Stargate. It's Doyle at its best - pure magic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2008
    Dom wrote
    Well Nim's Island is anything but Stargate. It's Doyle at its best - pure magic.

Sounds good! Doyle is another composer that for some reason took me a long time to warm to, I'll be checking this one out. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2008
    I saw Nim's Island and the music seemed pretty good. It reminded me of Secondhand Lions' music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2008
    I keep going on movie-wave.net hoping to see Southall's review of Nim's Island...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2008
    Hehe... I've already written it. Will be posting tomorrow, probably, with three others.
  3. Southall wrote
    Hehe... I've already written it. Will be posting tomorrow, probably, with three others.

Are you trying to generate the fervent guessing that starts when clues for upcoming special releases from the likes of FSM or Intrada are given out? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2008
    smile

Oh well, I didn't get round to posting it. Out tomorrow and Tuesday nights, so it'll now be Wednesday at the earliest. The guessing continues. goat
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2008 edited
    Eragon is one of my favorite scores that I own. Patrick Doyle did a great job with it, I think, and the score has a lot more depth than Narnia 1, I think. I read the book a year or two ago, and was pleasantly surprised by the score, and how close it felt to the feel of the book. The main theme is one of my favorites in the fantasy genre. Now, the film is another story entirely...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2008
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Eragon is one of my favorite scores that I own. Patrick Doyle did a great job with it, I think, and the score has a lot more depth than Narnia I, I think. I read the book a year or two ago, and was pleasantly surprised by the score, and how close it felt to the feel of the book. The main theme is one of my favorites in the fantasy genre. Now, the film is another story entirely...

Totally agreed beer "Battle for Varden" is one of my favourite Doyle tracks ever!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    "Battle for Varden" is one of my favourite Doyle tracks ever!!

Mine too! I love Doyle's writing for the percussion in that track! And the trumpets and choir! Incredibly dark and action-packed. I remember when I was waiting for Eragon to come out in theaters, I would visit the official site and just sit and listen to that track (it played on the main page once loaded) over and over. It's definitely one of my favorite battle pieces, a lot better than the Narnia battle music by HGW, and also better than some of the LotR battle music by Howard Shore. Eragon is another favorite track of mine from that album. Incredible main theme played by the trumpets and strings!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    "Battle for Varden" is Doyle trying to be like Zimmer. Which, depending on your point of view, is either a very good or a very bad thing. Fortunately, Doyle does it VERY well.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    "Battle for Varden" is Doyle trying to be like Zimmer. Which, depending on your point of view, is either a very good or a very bad thing. Fortunately, Doyle does it VERY well.

Rather than "trying" I expect he was "asked" to give it a Zimmer sound? I'm only guessing here as I've not heard Eragon.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote

Rather than "trying" I expect he was "asked" to give it a Zimmer sound? I'm only guessing here as I've not heard Eragon.

You are right, he was trying because he was asked. Doyle himself said so. Notice he doesn't use that same sound in any of his later scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Scribe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote

You are right, he was trying because he was asked. Doyle himself said so. Notice he doesn't use that same sound in any of his later scores.

I hope he does! It was amazing! smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote

I'd hope he doesn't!

There's more than enough Zimmer sound around ( too much I would say ), and Doyle's a great composer with enough of his own voice not to have to "ape" others.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Scribe wrote

I'd hope he doesn't!

There's more than enough Zimmer sound around ( too much I would say ), and Doyle's a great composer with enough of his own voice not to have to "ape" others.

I think you can rest easy, Timmer....I don't think Doyle much liked being told to use a more "contemporary" sound. It certainly doesn't show up in The Last Legion or Nim's Island...the former of which was kind of dull but the latter definitely gets back on track with classic Doyle music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Well, at least it helped him tone down is repetition drive a bit. I'd say it suits him wink Unlike his other great track "Golden Egg" from HP GoF... in which the overuse of cymbals RUINED the track for me! slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    DemonStar wrote
    Unlike his other great track "Golden Egg" from HP GoF... in which the overuse of cymbals RUINED the track for me! slant

Thank you!!! Good Lord! Somebody else is having that feeling, too!!! I HATE HATE HATE his annoying overuse of cymbals to death. He just can´t stop TUSHing at EVery FRAKkin´BEAT!

Honestly, Eragon has a nice theme, but too much is too much, his cymbals are getting so annoying it hurts. BUT if Battle for Varden was his version of imitating Zimmer, he absolutely should do it more often, because it didn´t sound like Zimmer AND was fantastic nevertheless. And it had not too much cymbals either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Unlike his other great track "Golden Egg" from HP GoF... in which the overuse of cymbals RUINED the track for me! slant

Thank you!!! Good Lord! Somebody else is having that feeling, too!!! I HATE HATE HATE his annoying overuse of cymbals to death. He just can´t stop TUSHing at EVery FRAKkin´BEAT!

Honestly, Eragon has a nice theme, but too much is too much, his cymbals are getting so annoying it hurts. BUT if Battle for Varden was his version of imitating Zimmer, he absolutely should do it more often, because it didn´t sound like Zimmer AND was fantastic nevertheless. And it had not too much cymbals either.

Totally agreed! beer

IMO his cymbal drive was significantly toned down in Battle for Varden, which was a refreshing change! Anyone who wants to check out how adrenaline-rushed this drive is, check the last half of the track "Voldemort" from GoF. Consists 98% of cymbals which almost mask the rest of the orchestra tongue