• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2011
    The nearest I can get to is Jimbo and the Jet Set.
  1. http://vimeo.com/channels/135703#21396304

Fun interview, and interviewatrix.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2011
    Southall wrote
    The nearest I can get to is Jimbo and the Jet Set.

applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I wish there wasn't a John Travolta film called 'Michael'.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2011
    This film looks utterly, horribly bad. Thor falls from the skies onto american hip teenagers. Fuck me.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2011
    I want to see THOR.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2011
    yonythemoony wrote
    Can someone tell me why the score is going to be released by Walt Disney Studios if the film is from Paramount?

Disney's deal essentially lets Paramount release Thor and Captain America for them theatrically, on home video and cable airing on Paramount's Epix movie channel (Marvel's film soundtracks have been released by different labels). Paramount only gets 8% of the distribution fees, while Marvel and Disney take the other 92%. If Thor and Captain America weren't shooting by the time Disney bought the distribution rights to The Avengers and Iron Man 3 -- it's likely Disney would've bought them from Paramount too.

I guess Paramount is letting Disney do what it wants with the score/soundtrack releases for Thor. Probably the same case with Captain America too.

Christodoulides wrote
    This film looks utterly, horribly bad. Thor falls from the skies onto american hip teenagers. Fuck me.

Wow. Were you expecting a Shakespeare film?
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'm just happy they haven't pushed the soundtrack to the dreaded download-only arena. Interested in this one; not sure about the film but the score could be quite enjoyable. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2011 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

If one of those american hip teenagers is played by Natalie Portman, who cares? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Matt C wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

What about something closer to Zack Snyder's style or perhaps more imaginative and less cliched? How about non-standardized American hollywood crap for a change?
  3. Something closer to Zack Snyder is a creative direction?! Isn't that just John Woo with one gun and no pigeons?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Christodoulides wrote
    How about non-standardized American hollywood crap for a change?

I think it´s the perfect approach for an adaptation of an American comic book.

Look what happens if someone tries something artsy with a Marvel character. I mean, I may be one of the two guys who actually liked Ang Lee´s approach for HULK (minus the crappy CGI), but the audience expects something mainstreamy about this. And since we´re not talking about an honest to God (ehem) movie of Northern mythology, I intend to join in.

I´d love to see something different, too, but even a hollywood movie about Thor that´s not laughable is really hard to make. Let´s just WATCH it first and then point fingers. Maybe it´s good Hollywood crap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I loved Lee's HULK, and am all for offbeat comic book films like that.

THOR just seems like camp, though. But I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now. I'll be seeing a press screening next week.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I loved Lee's HULK, and am all for offbeat comic book films like that.

THOR just seems like camp, though. But I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now. I'll be seeing a press screening next week.

I'll look forward to hearing your view in particular Thor, mainly because you're not a fan or well versed in the comic of origin.

I agree about Lee's HULK, it's nowhere near as bad as critics made it out to be and I quite enjoy it.
  4. Listened to about 3/4th of the interview I linked above. My anticipation for his "Thor" score just went bye-bye, with him describing how the interference was like somebody standing on his shoulder, don't do this, don't do that, and, quote: "old school was a no-no"; couldn't even use trumpets until, as he said, about the last reel. And most everything had to be kept below middle C to appease, and anything above had to be really quite.

Why not just hire one of Zimmer's guys and get it over with? Fuck.

He said they hired him for his talent, his ability, gifts from his compositional style, and immediately put a foot down on all that.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    Matt C wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

What about something closer to Zack Snyder's style or perhaps more imaginative and less cliched? How about non-standardized American hollywood crap for a change?

Yeah we all know how much you love the more imaginative and less cliched Watchmen! rolleyes

tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2011
    Christodoulides wrote

A Snyder-stylized Thor just seems silly. That said, I liked Snyder's ambitious Watchmen and have high hopes for his Superman reboot next year.

And movie trailers just aren't a reliable indication of good or bad films overall. I've seen a fair share of good to decent films that have had awful marketing (Serenity, Stardust), and bad movies that had great marketing (Transformers 2, Last Airbender).
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2011
    THOR

SOUND CLIPS

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004 … d_i=468294
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    THOR

SOUND CLIPS

Why it's sounds so much like Zimmer and not Doyle? The only cue that sounded like Doyle is Thor Kills The Destroyer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    yonythemoony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    THOR

SOUND CLIPS

Why it's sounds so much like Zimmer and not Doyle? The only cue that sounded like Doyle is Thor Kills The Destroyer.

I agree.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    From something I read at FSM it would seem he was pressured to give that sound.
  7. Scroll to the top of this page; video interview I linked to. He tells what happened.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Very funny. When new composers do that, they are called thieves. When older ones do it, the fsm mob decides it was temp track pressures.
  8. Well, he's operating in the Zimmer style. That's a bit different to ripping off a Zimmer theme. All film music operates in a style invented by another composer or composers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2011
    Many operate in Zimmer mode, actually; except for the occasions like Jablonsky for instance, the rest aren't directly copying him. But they are accused of this.
  9. Look I haven't heard the score in question (or many of the ones by new composers that you refer to), but I assume the reason the older composers get a free pass is that people have heard some evidence in the past that these composers are capable of much better things. With the newer people, there's usually no other evidence to go on than the sub-Zimmer stuff. Seems an understandable fallacy to fall into. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

It's Beastmaster 2 meets Masters of the Universe!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor falls from the skies onto american hip teenagers. Fuck me.

applause
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It's Beastmaster 2 meets Masters of the Universe!

-Erik-

Is that the best case scenerio Erik? wink

As a big fan of the Marvel comic in my youth I'm actually intrigued to see if this can be pulled off, it really is the most likely to fail in translation to the big screen.