• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2011
    Scribe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ear candy? How? smile Plus the fact that it's better than a horrible score, doesn't say much to me.

Its just nice, pleasant, predictable background music, with plenty of Doyle's trademark uplifting chords. So its fun to listen to even if it has no depth or creativity.

Well i am afraid it's not enough for me. smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2011 edited
    Feliz wrote
    I haven't listened to much Doyle. What's his best work(s) in your opinion?

My picks are influenced by the fact that I prefer a lot of Doyles more recent work than a lot of his first scores, and that I like melodic and beautiful scores more than grand-impending-doom scores (which Doyle is very good at writing if you like that sort of thing). My picks are (in order of preference):

Wah Wah
    Nanny McFee
    East-West
    Sense and Sensibility
    Harry Potter and the G of F

I also love the theme from AS YOU LIKE IT. I don't own the whole score, though, so I can't comment on it other than to say that if it's like the theme (but not too much of the theme over and over) then it would be worth getting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2011
    Wah Wah is absolutely his best score to date; Thor and Planet of the apes are so out of his league.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Wah Wah is absolutely his best score to date; Thor and Planet of the apes are so out of his league.

The latter is actually a wonderful film, IMO. And the score ain't too shabby, but a little anonymous. I had hoped it was more original, given the strong tradition of the POTA scores -- from Goldsmith to Schifrin to Elfman.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2011 edited
    Thor wrote
    Mine are HENRY V, SHIPWRECKED, INTO THE WEST, HP4, MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING and CARLITO'S WAY.

Don't forget my cd's Thor, and your kazoo! wink tongue
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Thor wrote
    Mine are HENRY V, SHIPWRECKED, INTO THE WEST, HP4, MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING and CARLITO'S WAY.

Don't forget my cd's Thor, and your kazoo! wink tongue

I won't. They're all here on my shelf.

Orange!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    For me, it's:

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    La Ligne Droite
    The Last Legion
    Eragon
    Much Ado About Nothing

CK
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Mary Shelley's Frankenstein for me. No contest.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BobdH wrote

I didn't like it at first ( I think it's overbearing in the film ) but I've really come around to enjoying it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. BobdH wrote

One of the first Doyle's I've heard and I immediately loved it, but Henry V is still his most emotional, stirring and gorgeous score to date for these ears.

I also love Carlito's Way, A Little Princess, Needful Things and Eragon. Haven't heard his Harry Potter score, after Williams gave up I did too.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2011
    You're missing out Gilles, do check out Doyle's Harry Potter score, it's very good!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Really? After the third I gave up on watching the films, and so I missed out on the music too. Will be checking it out.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2011
    I've just came across a trailer for the new Pixar film "Brave" which looks interesting. Even more interesting is that Patrick Doyle scores it. Does anyone know anything about it?
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2011
    Tosh is an awesome word.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  3. Stavroula wrote
    I've just came across a trailer for the new Pixar film "Brave" which looks interesting. Even more interesting is that Patrick Doyle scores it. Does anyone know anything about it?

I only know that I was disappointed after having seen the trailer, this is not PIXAR quality but just an average computer film. I hope the trailer is just a poor excuse and the movie delivers me all what PIXAR stands for, but this is the first trailer of a PIXAR movie that generally failed to deliver me some kind of enthusiasm. Okay, there was one CARS 2, nuff said shame

As for Doyle, I hope he puts his voice of several years ago in it, not the one of Thor and Rise of the Planet of the Apes
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2011
    I was very, very happy with his score to Igor. Don't know if I'm the only one, but it gives me confidence that he'll do well in another computer-animated movie. I am, however, surprised to hear that a Pixar film is not being scored by a Newman or Giacchino.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2011
    Stavroula wrote

Doyle has recorded original trailer music. The full score will be recorded with the LSO early next year.
  4. Doyle talking about Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes

http://www.facebook.com/v/248018941927029

"I've got a cookie for you".

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2012 edited
    Patrick Doyle's BRAVE score will be released on June 19th courtesy of Walt Disney Records, along with a couple of songs.

1. Touch the Sky (Performed by Julie Fowlis)
    2. Into the Open Air (Performed by Julie Fowlis)
    3. Learn Me Right (Performed by Birdy - with Mumford & Sons)
    4. Fate and Destiny
    5. The Games
    6. I Am Merida
    7. Remember to Smile
    8. Merida Rides Away
    9. The Witch s Cottage
    10. Song of Mor du (Performed by Billy Connolly and Cast)
    11. Through the Castle
    12. Legends Are Lessons
    13. Show Us the Way
    14. Mum Goes Wild
    15. In Her Heart
    16. Noble Maiden Fair (A Mhaighdean Bhan Uasal) (Performed by Emma Thompson and Peigi Barker)
    17. Not Now!
    18. Get the Key
    19. We ve Both Changed
    20. Merida's Home

http://www.amazon.com/Brave-Various-Art … amp;sr=8-1

I've got full confidence Doyle will be back on great form with this one. Not in the least because it's Pixar, but also because of Doyle's scottish roots which might mean he'll put extra heart in the project. Also, it's an adventure film with a fantasy element and plenty of opportunities for rousing action and bold thematic statements, so I'm seriously looking forward!
  5. I got my copy of 'Brave' Yesterday and guess what: It's fantastic.

It might not be as inmediately exhilarating as 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire' but it's an old-Doyle's output, definitely. There's some RC touch as regards synthetic percussion for instance, but the rest of the soundscape is as stubborny doylesque as that of 'Henry V'. Pay attention to track 19, 'We ve Both Changed'. It's gorgeous.

Here's a clip with some parts of the score:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyBJkWJFIUI

And here's a curious piece from the composer I had never listened to before. It's a choral and orchestral work called 'The Thistle and the Rose'. It's a very interesting piece:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toOY7ny-y48
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2012
    There's always RC-isms in his later work during the last 3-4 years that is, glad to read such good reception of this one, eager to hear it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    VincentKrause wrote
    There's some RC touch as regards synthetic percussion for instance

It's all live percussion.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    How about the chords and the chord procession.....it's been ringing "Z" to me during his last works.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Brave sounds like old school Doyle.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2012
    Well one thing's certain, if you don't like Celtic influences in music, you must be very brave to sit down and listen to this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Well one thing's certain, if you don't like Celtic influences in music, you must be very brave to sit down and listen to this!

dizzy biggrin
    actually I will let the internet answer for me....
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  6. I don't undestand something: it's been a month since Brave's release and few critics have payed attention to this score. I men, last year all the critics from the sites of the score comunity we usually read mentioned Doyle's change of style; some begged him to go back to his 'Golden Age'. Now that he's done it nobody seems to care. And let's forget about the fact that last year Thor and Rise of the... were the only of his 5 released scores of that year to get reviewed by more than 3 critics.

Yes, he might not be as representative of this period of film music (as Zimmer and Zimmer clones) or as prolific as Desplat o Giacchino, but this lack of attention towards Doyle's works obviously doesn't help... Or at least it helps to build that widespread idea that since he recovered from leukemia he only made average scores which deserved no much attention. There were some highlight during that period but releases like Nouvelle France, Last Legion, Man to man or As You Like it didn't half the level of attention that Goblet of Fire did.
  7. Nouvelle France deserves so much more attention, that's a fact, Last Legion is also good (same sound as Eragon), still have to listen to Brave though shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2012
    Brave is pipes and bagpipes bukkake.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2012
    Demetris wrote
    Brave is pipes and bagpipes bukkake.

Must be good then.