• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2014
    On the Waterfront by Leonard Bernstein???

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...or Waxman's Prince Valiant?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    That's a tough choice actually.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    On the Waterfront was actually up against Beneath the Twelve Mile Reef.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobinson
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2014
    Man, On the waterfront was such a great film.. Powerful performance by Brando.. Remember both the contender moment in that car and the confrontation at the end.. Good stuff!!
    Robinson
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2014
    it sure was but the sountrack to me from Beneath the Twelve Mile Reef was so overpowering I had to give Herrmann his due.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2014
    PRINCE VALIANT (1954) Have you noticed that the names Waxman as well as Herrmann keep appearing again? Waxman being classically trained wrote incredible music and before this list is done will appear again. If you want to get a little energized in the morning put the main title of this one on and you'll be awake with the rousing theme and great orchestration. To you of the younger generation "Pirates of the Caribbean" doesn't hold a candle to this gem. I would have considered "Man With the Golden Arm" in another year.
    Tom
  1. The thing with the younger generation (younger than mine!) is that they aren't used to the kind of orchestral music and Pirates represent more their own tastes in popular music smile . I'd recommend the younger generations of listeners (though I don't have to speak of that on this particular board!) to listen to Golden Age, of course, but with bigger knowledge of the conventions, because it may be a cognitive dissonance that film music may sound THAT way.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Yeah, that may be so. Some weeks ago I showed the silent movie Nosferatu (1922) to a class of 15 year olds. While they showed genuine interest in the film, the concept of a movie without dialogue, the appearent "overacting", the use of colours etc some students quickly grew tired of the original orchestral score by Hans Erdmann the film was sychronized with. Of course in a silent movie the music is up front and center. But even so this might indicate you're right.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. The education in classical music heritage has waned throughout the years, I seriously do think that the popularity of the music that happens to appear in film music temp-tracks is based on things similar and popular at this time and nobody thinks that for example a Wagnerian score could work in a movie. While of course people recognize the Wagnerian John Williams score, they might not recognize what Wagner's leitmotif concept could even mean.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    Yeah, that may be so. Some weeks ago I showed the silent movie Nosferatu (1922) to a class of 15 year olds. While they showed genuine interest in the film, the concept of a movie without dialogue, the appearent "overacting", the use of colours etc some students quickly grew tired of the original orchestral score by Hans Erdmann the film was sychronized with. Of course in a silent movie the music is up front and center. But even so this might indicate you're right.

Volker

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/n … bernard-2/

you should give this one a spin sometime. I like it better than the Erdmann

Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2014
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The education in classical music heritage has waned throughout the years, I seriously do think that the popularity of the music that happens to appear in film music temp-tracks is based on things similar and popular at this time and nobody thinks that for example a Wagnerian score could work in a movie. While of course people recognize the Wagnerian John Williams score, they might not recognize what Wagner's leitmotif concept could even mean.

Makes me very sad.
    Tom
  4. Also, I think that a lot of thematic space in film music was killed with the death of main title sequences.
  5. I think that a lot of thematic space in film music was killed by the growing stupidity of people.
  6. People have always been stupid, Volker, and always will be.
  7. Yes. Just had to say it anyway. Gives me an evil satisfaction.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2014
    Some of the space material came from classical music. I can hear passages from Sibelius, Wagner, and Strauss among many.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2014
    I remember considering buying the PRINCE VALIANT CD from FSM back when they released it, especially because Waxman is my favourite Golden Age composer. I never got around to it, and to be perfectly honest -- I'd rather have as much of Waxman rerecorded as possible, to enjoy it in as sparkling sound as possible.

Never seen the film.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. There is a 10 Minutes suite on Charles Gerhardt "Sunset Boulevard".
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I know. I never bought that, as I already own most of the scores on that disc, either on albums or in suite form. Maybe I could buy the VALIANT suite individually somewhere.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Yeah, I know. I never bought that, as I already own most of the scores on that disc, either on albums or in suite form. Maybe I could buy the VALIANT suite individually somewhere.

Don't deny yourself from experiencing one of the finest film music compilations of all time. Oh, this is Thor I'm responding to. Nevermind!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Hey, I love compilations! I also dig Gerhardt (except for the CASABLANCA album, which never did anything for me -- mostly due to my lukewarm relationship to Steiner).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2014 edited
    THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM ELMER BERNSTEIN

We could argue that this was the best sounding jazz film score of all time
    Tom smile
  9. In take it that is your choise for 1955, Tom? smile

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2014
    Probably is, yeah.

It's one of those landmark scores in film music history, although one could argue that North's STREETCAR was the first jazz score that became truly popular.

Best-sounding? I'm not sure about that, but it's a good one.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. 1955: On this occasion I'd like to draw everybody's attention to the German romantic comedy Ich denke oft an Piroschka (I often think of Piroschka). Franz Grothe, a giant of German Golden Age film music, did the score. The concert suite of that score is still quite popular. It used to be on YouTube but that video seems to have vanished. Anyway a great recording of the suite is on spotify:

https://play.spotify.com/search/Franz%20Grothe

Volker
  11. Just found out The Man with the Golden Arm is also on spotify.

Could it be that John Barry took some inspiration from here for that British spy series?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    Just found out The Man with the Golden Arm is also on spotify.

Could it be that John Barry took some inspiration from here for that British spy series?

A big fan of Elmer's was JB so it's not improbable but the real inspiration came from Jazz great Stan Kenton and that's pretty well known amongst JB fans.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2014
    I felt that it had some improvisational material in it while Streetcar was definitely structured.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2014
    I will unsticky this thread since it is not updated anymore for over 2 months.
    Kazoo