• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2014
    sdtom wrote
    THE BIG COUNTRY (1958)/MOROSS This is a no brainer for me as I really like this score a whole whole lot. It could be the best western score of all time!!! I think the followers of this thread will agree with me.
    Tom smile

It's a great score, and I had intended to include it in my recent Celluloid Tunes episode on westerns. Alas, it had to go because of time issues and because it was a little too similar to other picks on the list. I don't think it's the best western score of all time, but it's up there.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    THE BIG COUNTRY (1958)/MOROSS This is a no brainer for me as I really like this score a whole whole lot. It could be the best western score of all time!!! I think the followers of this thread will agree with me.
    Tom smile

I agree!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You baited me Thor! What is your choice? Magnificent Seven?
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2014 edited
    sdtom wrote
    You baited me Thor! What is your choice? Magnificent Seven?
    Tom smile

Alltime favourite western score? Whoa, that is hard.

If I had a gun to my head, I would pick James Newton Howard's WYATT EARP, maybe. Followed by the eternal ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST.

But you can see some of my other favs in the Celluloid Tunes thread:

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … r/#Item_20
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Mine would be THE GOOD, THE BAD and THE UGLY by Morricone.

I just wanted to anounce that to the world. wink

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Good The Bad The Ugly is right up there as is The Magnificent Seven and Once Upon A Time In The West. Wyatt Earp is an excellent score though I can think of many, many more that are ahead of it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    The Good The Bad The Ugly is right up there as is The Magnificent Seven and Once Upon A Time In The West. Wyatt Earp is an excellent score though I can think of many, many more that are ahead of it.

I'm kinda 'proud' to have EARP as a favourite and not one of the alltime iconic scores (although they're fantastic too).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

I'm kinda 'proud' to have EARP as a favourite and not one of the alltime iconic scores (although they're fantastic too).

Good for you. smile

I'm a bit surprised to find that there isn't one JNH score in my top 50 albums list ( other thread ), there were two that I had considered but were replaced by stronger personal favourites.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    One of my favourite Western scores to film is Lennie Niehaus brooding score for Clint Eastwood's masterpiece UNFORGIVEN ( IMO the best western ever made ) though I doubt the album would even breach my top 500 let alone top 50.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    One of my favourite Western scores to film is Lennie Niehaus brooding score for Clint Eastwood's masterpiece UNFORGIVEN ( IMO the best western ever made ) though I doubt the album would even breach my top 500 let alone top 50.

I love the film, but I don't care for the score at all -- except for Eastwood's "Claudia's Theme", which is lovely but not properly developped during its many iterations on the album.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2014
    We could also include "Silverado" and "Tombstone" both by Bruce Broughton.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think Once Upon a Time in the West may be the most perfectly-scored film. There's always a sense that the film was designed with the score in mind. In terms of the album though, I'd pick The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Another one we've overlooked a bit is the Newman score "How The West was Run."
    Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Another one we've overlooked a bit is the Newman score "How The West was Run."
    Tom smile

I've seen the films Tom and I can confirm it was Run very badly. wink
  2. Yeah, badly run by the natives, which is why they did away whith them. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The brain is a bit better focused, Won is the word to be used
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Some of the better western music I've heard is Copland's "Rodeo." A must for collections.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2014 edited
    BEN-HUR (1959) ROZSA. Hard to choose anything else from this year as great a score that North By Northwest was. Waxman did some good writing but not in the class of this epic soundtrack.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2014
    A classic of classics, that one. And for a reason -- it's one of my personal favs too. But I enjoy the religious material more than the action music. All those rowing cues aren't really my cup of tea.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Glad you agree with me Thor. Now I will go on to 1960.
    Tom smile
  3. I enjoy every note of that score. A few month ago I listened to the FSM release while reading the in depth liner notes in the booklet. I revealed to me the huge number of themes an the complexity of how they interconnect with each other. This is up there with any symphonic work written in the 20th century.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    BEN-HUR (1959) ROZSA. Hard to choose anything else from this year as great a score that North By Northwest was. Waxman did some good writing but not in the class of this epic soundtrack.
    Tom

I love Herrmann's score but compared to this colossus it is not even close, not by a long, loooooonnnnnnng way!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Captain Future wrote
    I enjoy every note of that score. A few month ago I listened to the FSM release while reading the in depth liner notes in the booklet. I revealed to me the huge number of themes an the complexity of how they interconnect with each other. This is up there with any symphonic work written in the 20th century.

Volker

It most certainly is Volker
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2014
    THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN/ELMER BERNSTEIN The recording I listen to is the Koch recording with Sedares and the Phoenix Symphony. Still available through Amazon. The down load is $9 and the CD is /$14. As some of you know I'm a Mancini lover but his Oscar score other than Moon River was weak in my opinion.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2014 edited
    It is an obvious and fantastic choice Tom. Personally I have to go with a score I love just slightly more than Elmer's classic and that is Alex North's incredible SPARTACUS
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2014
    I considered the North score along with Tiomkin's Guns of Navarone. I like the Spartacus love theme. I've got a Bill Evans recording of it from his Alone album.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2014
    Freud - Jerry Goldsmith
    Lawrence of Arabia - Maurice Jarre
    Mutiny on the Bounty - Bronislau Kaper
    Taras Bulba - Franz Waxman
    To Kill a Mockingbird - Elmer Bernstein

I have to give this a little thought. I just can't obviously give it Lawrence.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2014
    TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (1961). There was merit in all of them that year including Taras Bulba, Lawrence of Arabia, and Mutiny on the Bounty. The novel idea of using the toy piano was the swaying factor for this one.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2014
    The correct choice, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. What a year that has been! shocked That would have been my choice, too.