• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2014
    Against the mighty Lawrence? sorry, but no!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2014
    many worthy winners but of course there can only be one.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2014 edited
    JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS/HERRMANN (1963) Not too difficult a choice for me. I spent time thinking about Mancini and his Charade score as well as The Great Escape but couldn't resist this fantastic score from Herrmann. A job well done.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2014
    Good choice and good runners up Tom. Others I love from this year include Alex North's awesome CLEOPATRA, Humphrey Searle's THE HAUNTING, Jerry Goldsmith's superb THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER and last and certainly not least, John Barry's first proper Bond scoring ( sans song ) for FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2014 edited
    Tom, I just checked...

What's happened to 1962?
  1. TO KILL A MOCKINBIRD was actually 1962 not 1961 I believe.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    that is correct volker. I got a little confused looking at the oscar list and then going to the film list for the particular year. double check but I think I'm on the beam.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    could never get into cleopatra tim
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2014
    Cleopatra? Couldn't care less about the score, but I'm a huge apologist for the movie, which I rewatch regularly. I have NO idea why it gets the poor rap it has. It's really incredibly entertaining.
    AND it has Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor!
    And massive sea battles and Roman legions!
    What the hell more could anyone wish for?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2014
    Martijn wrote
    Cleopatra? Couldn't care less about the score, but I'm a huge apologist for the movie, which I rewatch regularly. I have NO idea why it gets the poor rap it has. It's really incredibly entertaining.
    AND it has Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor!
    And massive sea battles and Roman legions!
    What the hell more could anyone wish for?

A better score? wink

It is an incredibly watchable film. Lavish spectacle doesn't get bigger than this film.
  2. I love that score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2014
    One of the greater themes ever written was the pink panther theme, my selection for 1964.
    PINK PANTHER (1964)/HENRY MANCINI

This was a year of great themes and scores that included Fistful of Dollars, Umbrellas of Cherbourg, The Americanization of Emily, Mary Poppins, Goldfinger, and Zorba the Greek. At one time in my selection process I wanted to put down Emily, Umbrellas, Goldfinger and Zorba.

What Mancini did is create a theme for an animated character that perfectly described him through the use of a big band that swaggers.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I wholeheartedly approve. love

As other nominees I think Barry for Goldfinger and Morricone for A Fistful Of Dollars are worthy contenders.
    For sheer thematic power I think Goodwin's powerhouse theme for 633 Squadron and Mellin/Reverberi beautiful The Adventures Of Robinson Crusoe can match the Pink Panther theme, even if the latter is of course FAR better known.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    some of the thought processes that I had to go through.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I wholeheartedly approve. love

As other nominees I think Barry for Goldfinger and Morricone for A Fistful Of Dollars are worthy contenders.
    For sheer thematic power I think Goodwin's powerhouse theme for 633 Squadron and Mellin/Reverberi beautiful The Adventures Of Robinson Crusoe can match the Pink Panther theme, even if the latter is of course FAR better known.

GOLDFINGER ftw! ( that surprised you didn't it!? biggrin )

Good call on all of those Tom & Martijn. Particularly the TV score of Robinson Crusoe.
  3. Hohnorary mentions go to

Goldfinger for one of the best film songs ever

Zorbas the Greek for one of the most iconic main themes

Mary Poppins for being one of the great movie musical scores

My vote goes to:

For A Fistful of Dollars by Ennio Morricone

This one is up there with QUO VADIS, STAR WARS, THE SEA HAWK, scores that defined the sound of an entire genre of films. Sergio Leone reinvented the western as Morricone renewed western music. A moment of glory in the history of cinema.

smile Volker
  4. Some sources place "Pink Panther" in 1963, ohers in 1964. confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2014
    don't understand that either
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Probably to do with US/European release?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawa … nners.html

I go by the year of the Oscar nomination or at least I try.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2014 edited
    edit
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Sometimes the years can be most confusing. If it's a film that doesn't have an Oscar nod then I go to IMDB and look for the date of release.
    Tom
  5. Sometimes the "top line" date - the one by the film title can mean when the film was completed I think. Looking at the release date list is sometimes a more accurate representation of what year should be considered for the date for anyone's list.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2014
    I wish I had a book describing all of the details I need.
    Tom
  6. sdtom wrote
    I wish I had a book describing all of the details I need.
    Tom

What info are you looking for? I have a number of books.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2014
    It would be a book that would list all of the technical aspects of the film such as length, type of film used, location where it was shot, both the time when it was shot as well as the date of the release. I think you get the idea. I've got three books for the Poverty Row studios, PRC, Monogram, and Republic but very little with the major studios. The books I have for them include a photo and a basic plot description maybe 50 words but in the other areas it is woefully lacking. Take a look at what you have and if you see something let me know and I'll try to find it on ebay. Thanks for asking.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2014
    1965 films is going to be another tough one with Zhivago, A Patch of Blue, Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Greatest Story Ever Told, and Agony and the Ectasy. I like all of these.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm going to go back and relisten to all those scores which I have. Are there any others that you think should be considered for that year
    Tom
  7. sdtom wrote
    It would be a book that would list all of the technical aspects of the film such as length, type of film used, location where it was shot, both the time when it was shot as well as the date of the release. I think you get the idea. I've got three books for the Poverty Row studios, PRC, Monogram, and Republic but very little with the major studios. The books I have for them include a photo and a basic plot description maybe 50 words but in the other areas it is woefully lacking. Take a look at what you have and if you see something let me know and I'll try to find it on ebay. Thanks for asking.
    Tom

I don't think I can help Tom. But the technical section of a film's imdb.com entry sometimes has some details that may be of use to you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    i know but not enough
    Tom