• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2012 edited
    My format will be a bit different from the one that Alan painstakingly worked on. My discussion will be limited to one score per year. I will offer a review with audio clips.

My selection for 1922 is NOSFERATU/BERNARD, the last and best of the scores written for the film. Drawing from the experience he had with Dracula/Hammer films was a great help for him. It is written in classic leitmotif style with melodies given to the major players in the 100 minute German silent film. The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra was well rehearsed and conductor Raines worked closely with Bernard in the recording of the melody. Read the review, listen to the audio clips, and feel free to comment. This is one of my top 100 CD's and one I have revisited often.
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/n … bernard-2/
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2012
    I think that this should be a sticky.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Looking forward to your lists, Tom. I've already given my own favourites of each year in Alan's thread, so I think I'll limit my activity here to commenting on the choices YOU make -- if I have any relation to them, that is. I've actually not heard this one.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    As Thor said, likewise.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Tom, I am looking forward to your list.

I apologise in advance if I repeat myself here but I want to contribute fully and not limit myself if I have already commented on my own list.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Please feel free to comment often. I hope that the audio clips will help you if you've never heard the material before. Bernard did an absolutely marvelous job on this one.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Have you ever heard Hans Erdmann's original score, Tom?
    It's very good, even though, having grown up with Hammer's Dracula, Bernard always hold a special place in the dark recesses of my soul.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2012
    I do have the film which has the original score. Like you I have an extremeness fondness for the Bernard.
    Tom
  2. I do like James Bernard's score for this early film and it's clear that he's tapped into his extensive Hammer past for this score - though this score here is more restrained compared with his Hammer Horror scores that I have heard.

I haven't heard the Erdmann score at all save for the Youtube clip I could find today that had the original score overlaid onto the visuals. Hearing Erdmann's score, it's interesting to hear that the original seems to be a bit less ominous, sounding more like a score contemporary with the time (obviously!). It would be good if this original score was available to hear in its entirety.

It is great that Bernard was given the opportunity (by UK's Channel 4?) of this project and he definitely delivered a great score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2012
    back in the days when Channel 4 were doing great and diverse projects rather than Big Brother and endless repeats of Come Dine With Me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2012
    Alan,
    If you go to oldies.com and search for nosferatu you'll find additional scores written for the movie. I don't know if you're willing to purchase the film in order to get the score.

As you read in my review I think the opening track (audio clip included) is an accurate description of what evil is all about.
  3. I have had Nosferatu on my netflix instant queue for a while and intended to watch it back on Halloween, though I didn't get around to it. I assume that the version I watch will credit whichever composer's score is heard?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2012 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

Why should this be a sticky?
  4. I think it should stick because it's a continual thread that will be updated regularly but may not have very regular postings.

My own thread benefited from being stuck - even if it was only as a daily reminder of my time deficiencies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2012
    I agree Alan
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

Alan's was.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Apparently a sticky is taboo to some members of this forum.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

Alan's was.

-Erik-

But then that begs the question why was Alan's thread sticky?

If you want to make a thread sticky and the mods are happy, then so be it. But I do think a thread like this, or even Alan's, is an odd choice to make sticky! Also, I tend to visit sticky threads less often simply because I get so used to seeing them at the top. I tend not to notice new posts (although I can only really say that applies to me).

I think sticky threads are good for 'reference' material, things for new members or perhaps some kind of news feed (?), but personal threads like this, well, it doesn't really make a lot of sense? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Oh, just let Tom have his sticky and let's not over analyse it. The thread(s) are good for people to discover scores they might not have heard before and discuss some of their favourites in a friendly environment. The sticky keeps the thread relevant. Do we really need to discuss this any further? I mean, is it harming any one?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Agreed with Erik, Alan and Thor.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Me too! yeah
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Fair enough I suppose.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2012
    This thread is stickied and will be until the Tom has ended it.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Bregt hath spoken.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Amen.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Bregt wrote
    This thread is stickied and will be until the Tom has ended it.

Glad for your support Bregt. Now just answer your pm's!!!
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Glad for your support Bregt. Now just answer your pm's!!!
    Tom

Yikes! shocked

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2012 edited
    Bregt has Pms? No wonder he's been so grumpy lately.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2012
    He's too young
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2012
    Does any one have any opinion on 1923???
    Tom smile