• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2008
    BobdH wrote
    I recently saw a promo HD-DVD in a mediastore, with splitscreen; normal DVD left, HD-DVD on the right, and I have to admit, it is indeed a huge improvement. They did cheat, though; I don't believe the transfer of the regular DVD from Underworld is nearly as blurry and soft as they showed it slant

I'm surprised they get away with that. The "DVD" quality looks closer to VHS. I certainly don't have any DVDs which look so bad.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I've got an HD television an a DVD player that upscales DVDs to 1080p. Is true HD much better than that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    I've got an HD television an a DVD player that upscales DVDs to 1080p. Is true HD much better than that?

Yes. We compared LOST Season 3 with both upscale DVD and true Blu-Ray 1080p and there was an amazing difference. The Blu-Ray HD image is so sharp and I was seeing details in the little things... like items on the table during the beach breakfast scene that weren't there in the upscaled DVD.

HD is quite an eye opener.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Here here, but I wouldn't go with High definition unless you have at least a 37 inch screen. The higher you go in screen size, naturally, the more HD quality will take the lead from normal DVD.

But then again, excellent quality DVD transfers can look amazing as well on a big screen TV, I saw Transformers on a 42" plasma, and that's awesome looking, can't imagine what the HD version would be!

DVD is far from being dead yet.

By the time they release the next technology, it would get harder for DVD to stay afloat.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Won't this dent the enthusiasm people have for Blu-Ray players?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7187179.stm

On the subject of HD-TV, I was reading in January 2008's issue of DeathRay magazine (an article on BBC's M.I. High - research for the children!) that extra work has to be done by make-up people and designers/costumiers since there's more detail required on-screen to pass scrutiny from HD-TV.

Also, programme makers have to be careful what colours are used in shows. Because HD is so vivid & bright, colours have to be toned down. A white T-shirt has to be "almost biege" to show up white on-screen and bright red colours just bleed everywhere. (This reminded me early on in movies when actors had to be painted up in very unnatural colours in order for contrasts to show up in old black-and-white movies. Everything's coming back full circle!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2008 edited
    Well, HD-DVD is standing with one foot in its grave, the other one is just beside it. Sad to hear for the people who invested in it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/technolo … nnel=10005

I'm glad I chose Blu-ray, it's the format of the future!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2008
    I haven't invested in either at the moment, both are so damn expensive. I initially supported HD-DVD but it's blatently lost. I'll wait a few months until Blu Ray players are more reliable and actually have an ethernet connection. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2008
    My Blu Ray player was cheap, has played everything, and has an ethernet connection.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2008 edited
    Later this year the Blu-ray camp will offer profile 2.0, called BD Live, which will allow the players which support the feature to connect to the internet to download related content, such as ringtones, trailers and photos.

Oh, come on! And then, after you download it all, it gets full, and then loads slower, to finally get crashed, etc, etc. The DVD-player is becoming a computer, complete with all its errors! I just hate that necessity to connect everything to the internet and such, to make it all possible to download as much as possible. And then what, Sony complains about people downloading so much films?! angry

Btw, on a sidenote, it's possible to download... ringtones? With your Bluray machine? Because, what, that new thing also has the ability to call people? It's also actually a mobile phone in disguise? confused
  3. Southall wrote
    My Blu Ray player was cheap, has played everything, and has an ethernet connection.

And mine plays videogames too! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2008
    And now both feet are in the grave:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7250068.stm
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2008 edited
    Well does SONY have the power or not?! If SONY's PLAYSTATION III - a damn successful machine btw, wasn't running on BLU-RAY, then HD would certainly stand more chances! Of course the war isn't lost yet as TOSHIBA doesn't have the greatest shares in the market for sure, but there 'hands down on HD-DVD' is important nevertheless.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I really want an HD player. I've currently got a 1080p upscaler thingy but even then I still think ''eew'' after seeing some HD films in a store. Everything's just so damned expensive.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DreamTheater wrote
    ...excellent quality DVD transfers can look amazing as well on a big screen TV, I saw Transformers on a 42" plasma, and that's awesome looking, can't imagine what the HD version would

Transformers is by far the best transferd film I've seen. I'm also watching that on a 42'' plasma with an upscaling player and it's CLEAR! I can't even imagine what true HD would do to it! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Of course the war isn't lost yet as TOSHIBA doesn't have the greatest shares in the market for sure,

Toshiba is the ONLY manufacturer of HD-DVD players. So yes, the format war IS over.

Now hopefully lots of film fans will go out and support Blu Ray - we don't want this going the way of the laserdisc. It is truly a revelation seeing content in true HD (and it will look even better in your own home than it does in the shops, Anthony - you can fiddle with the settings to get something stunning) - it's as much a leap as VHS to DVD.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    As I said, I supported HD-DVD, but ultimatly I don't care. I can't afford either player, so as long as in the end we get uber looking films and TV then i'll be happy. I assume Blue-Ray is the ''best'' as it's ''won'' so who's bothered? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Southall wrote
    ...it's as much a leap as VHS to DVD.

Sure, in clarity and detail of the picture... but on what else? VHS wasn't just an upgrade on picture and audio, it was much more, from the ability to finally watch films in the widescreen it was intended, to several audiochannels, bonus features, etc., etc. All BluRay gives is... a better picture and sound. With DVD already giving an excellent audiovisual presentation, I doubt many of the masses will go out and buy one before their original DVD-player dies.

And the filmstudio's know it, that's why they start playing dirty - denying us the extra's on the DVD and instead putting it all on BR. It just makes me annoyed of this new technology angry .

Plus, I hate that download possibility: it's one step further down the line towards the 'you don't buy things in a shop - you download everything!" horrible future all technerds are dreaming of. crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    BobdH wrote
    Southall wrote
    ...it's as much a leap as VHS to DVD.

Sure, in clarity and detail of the picture... but on what else? VHS wasn't just an upgrade on picture and audio, it was much more, from the ability to finally watch films in the widescreen it was intended, to several audiochannels, bonus features, etc., etc. All BluRay gives is... a better picture and sound. With DVD already giving an excellent audiovisual presentation, I doubt many of the masses will go out and buy one before their original DVD-player dies. And the filmstudio's know it, that's why they start playing dirty - denying us the extra's on the DVD and instead putting it all on BR. It just makes me annoyed of this new technology angry . Plus, I hate that download possibility: it's one step further down the line towards the 'you don't buy things in a shop - you download everything!" horrible future all technerds are dreaming of. crazy

This is all true... I was only referring to picture quality (which for me is the only particularly important thing). Sadly many people will probably think like you say and the whole thing won't ever take off, which would be such a shame. Having said that, there are so many people out there with HD televisions but no way of watching HD content, so maybe there might be a market.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    You must admit, if you love your films you're more likely to buy a new player. I've only recently (ok, it's probably been 8 months or so) a brand new home theatre system. 5.1 sound, upscaling etc. etc but I still really want to get a Blu-Ray player...but £300...no, no, no! crazy
  4. BobdH wrote
    All BluRay gives is... a better picture and sound.

I'll add a much better navigation of the disc's contents to that. Though it may not mean much to most people, it definitely is an improvement, it is to me. Besides, don't forget the higher storage space.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Well... I heard the menu is placed on top of the film, so you can go through the menu while the movie keeps playin'... Pullease, I'd rather have an animated thingy. rolleyes Plus, I heard BluRay could be rather slow in loading times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    2 points:

1. TOSHIBA is the world's only HD-DVD manufacturer FOR THE TIME BEING

2. Blu-ray and HD-DVD give better sound and picture ONLY you say!? Man that's the WHOLE POINT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    2. Blu-ray and HD-DVD give better sound and picture ONLY you say!? Man that's the WHOLE POINT!

Too right. I cringe a little each time I buy a normal DVD... I so want to buy a Blu-Ray of HD-DVD! sad
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Too right. I cringe a little each time I buy a normal DVD... I so want to buy a Blu-Ray of HD-DVD! sad

lol, that only happens to me when I buy it and I see the Blue-Ray version next to it. I want it! cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote

And my POINT is that it IS the ONLY thing wink

I know this is only created to give better sound and picture - but for most, basically because DVD already can give great audio and picture, this POINT isn't ENOUGH tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    When you compare an HD-DVD on a GOOD AND I MEAN REALLY GOOD HD-TV ('cause there are a lot of crappy, cheaper ones out there as well) then you WILL see that your DVD won't be enough for your needs for much longer!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    When you compare an HD-DVD on a GOOD AND I MEAN REALLY GOOD HD-TV ('cause there are a lot of crappy, cheaper ones out there as well) then you WILL see that your DVD won't be enough for your needs for much longer!

Sure, but will that argument hold up against the mediocre household, the families, the casual interested, 'n such? Basically the biggest group of consumers within this market - they won't care for this increase of pixels. My point is, they'll wait with buying a BluRay untill their DVD-player broke down and the BR-players have gotten cheaper. In about 5 years from now. It's the same as what happened with CD-I, Video-CD, etc.: it only speaks to a niche within the market. After all, how succesful were those SUPERBIT-DVD's Sony presented a few years ago> Not that much, if I recall correctly.

Still, this market is groing faster than I thought.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't think so, as soon as prices come down everyone will rush to get the same fancy hd-tv and hd-dvd / blue-ray player their neighbor already has; it's the same way it has always been done since VHS and up to our date. Now with the hd-camcorders pushing the market with very low prices, those things are going to start moving high really soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    BobdH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

And my POINT is that it IS the ONLY thing wink

I know this is only created to give better sound and picture - but for most, basically because DVD already can give great audio and picture, this POINT isn't ENOUGH tongue

High Definition is a new step in video, and as DVD doesn't support this, new standards had to be introduced. HD is/will be used for HDTV, High Defintion is just a step higher in video quality, just like it was from CRT t LCD/Plasma... Sort of. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ....which (HD) won't fit on DVD and that's why we need the new format, to carry it and since everything is already starting to be shot on HD and therefore not fitting on regular dvd's, that's why it WILL change and people will start bringing it in their houses. What's sure - apart the definite change (either BLU-RAY or HD-DVD, doesn't matter) is that the prices of the relevant equipment WILL GO DOWN sooner or later and people must NOT harry into buying overpriced (and very frequently of low quality as well) stuff.